Any reason to avoid AMD these days?

Author
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
2017/01/25 08:01:52 (permalink)

Any reason to avoid AMD these days?

I need to get my hardware updated.  Considering all options.  Is AMD still evil in the DAW/SONAR world?

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

17 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/25 12:48:31 (permalink)
    I do not think AMD was ever evil in a DAW. Early on there may have been glitches with code that was specifically written and tested on WIntel machines, but current SONAR system requirements include AMD as well as Intel. At one point the clear bang for the buck went to AMD because of the significant price difference and comparable performance, but in more recent years, the complaint has mainly been that AMD has not kept pace with Intel in performance leading a lot of people to opt for the Intel products in spite of their price. For a more nuanced, though probably not unprejudiced take on this issue:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/here-we-explain-the-basic-differences-between-intel-and-amd-cpus/

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/25 14:21:24 (permalink)
    I know AMD are about to release a new CPU but my guide is what do professional DAW manufacturers use?

I also thought I read somewhere, though I could be mistaken, that there was micro code in the Intel chips that was of benefit to DAW and Audio production that AMD does not.  Again this could all just be a furry fantasy contained within my furry mind. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/25 14:35:29 (permalink)
    Reading SBF's link (Thanks) and some followups tells me things are waaaaay different than they used to be.  No need to even consider AMD - unless Zen blows everybody away.  Even if it does, I'm not an early adopter type.

Thanks guys

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/26 02:25:19 (permalink)
    I have had AMD CPU's in multiple build of my computers over the last 10 years, with the single exception of one Intel-based i7-2600k machine.

The AMD computers ALL ran just fine, with zero performance problems, and all of those builds had at least 16 GB and most had 32 GB.

I currently use 2 primary computers, one with an AMD 7850 CPU with 32 GB of memory, and the other is an i7-2600k also with 32 GB of memory.  The Intel-based one is actually my backup computer at the moment.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/26 07:02:49 (permalink)
    Been using intel for over a decade but always used/supported AMD till intel pulled away, DAW performance wise...I just stress my cpu too much, although things are way better now with Sonar's/W10's core distribution/efficiency improvements  Intel has been stagnating as a result of no competition; their latest CPU's are no better than their last CPUs for power users, DAW wise. Indeed, my older 6 core cpu is still nearly as good, and it's been quite awhile...

I truly hope Zen puts AMD back into the drivers seat; it appears as good or better than the best intel(which is BIG bucks)... and will  DEFINITELY be cheaper and more future proof, platform wise (mb, socket, etc).  If I were you and could wait a month or two, I'd go AMD in a heartbeat as the initial results are Zen is truly a beast.  You'll save money and support the only company driving innovation.

There's an individual into mega machines over at VI Control, into HUGE DAW/VID projects who'll b testing Zen shortly... I'm tracking the thread and will report the results.

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/26 07:24:28 (permalink)
    If/when AMD CPUs pull ahead of Intel, we'll be first in line to use them.
    For the foreseeable future, it's Intel. 

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/26 11:22:48 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    If/when AMD CPUs pull ahead of Intel, we'll be first in line to use them.
    For the foreseeable future, it's Intel. 

I completely agree that at this point in time, Intel makes a faster processor, and they rock in lots of areas.

My reasons for currently using AMD, are because of bang for the buck.  AMD bundled CPU and motherboard deals allow me to purchase a very capable AMD processor and a good motherboard, for FAR less money than a comparable Intel combination.

Doing that allows me to spend money for more memory and better and bigger hard drives, etc.

My AMD-based machine will not match the high-end Intel CPU's, for performance, however mine does everything needed of it, and the performance of the computer is plenty fast enough for all of my Sonar needs.  I would have had to spend several hundred dollars for a comparable Intel-based system, and there was no need for it.

Lots of memory and good data streaming are also quite important to performance in music production, and I am quite happy with my AMD-based computer's performance.  With a solid-state drive for a primary drive (C:) a couple others now for the sample libraries I have, and 32 GB of memory, my system rocks, and is completely stable.

Again - not knocking Intel - I just get great performance for lots less money.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    slartabartfast
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/26 12:20:17 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    My AMD-based machine will not match the high-end Intel CPU's, for performance, however mine does everything needed of it, and the performance of the computer is plenty fast enough for all of my Sonar needs.  I would have had to spend several hundred dollars for a comparable Intel-based system, and there was no need for it.

+1
    Identify your needs and meet them efficiently. This is the essence of rational design decision making. 
    DrLumen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 621
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/26 12:54:54 (permalink)
    I know it is likely to be completely objective but I would stay with intel.

I have had issues with every AMD system I've had. Maybe AMD just doesn't like me. Or maybe there is something in my chakras that doesn't allow AMD's to work reliably. shrugs

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
    Hatstand
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 597
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/27 02:47:05 (permalink)
    I am also an AMD user an have no issues. In fact for some reason I escaped most of the recent Windows 10 issues people had, I suspect because AMD processes threads differently than Intel.
    I have no doubts the posts above regarding intel having an edge are correct, it is just whether paying the extra is worth the performance gain for the sort of work you are doing. I most recent project was over 70 tracks with numerous instances of plugins some of which are renowned CPU hogs. If you regularly have projects larger than this, then perhaps Intel will give you that extra headroom.

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/28 17:25:21 (permalink)
    FWIW,
    The more CPU speed, the more effectively one can work at ultra low latency settings.
    For the user wanting to work at 64-sample ASIO buffer size or smaller, it's worth the extra cost.
    Especially if you consider the cost difference over the life of the machine (say 5 years).
    In that light, the cost difference is negligible.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jim Roseberry
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/28 17:25:24 (permalink)
    FWIW,
    The more CPU speed, the more effectively one can work at ultra low latency settings.
    For the user wanting to work at 64-sample ASIO buffer size or smaller, it's worth the extra cost.
    Especially if you consider the cost difference over the life of the machine (say 5 years).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    slartabartfast
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/29 14:34:24 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    FWIW,

I doubt anyone is trying to claim that you can get better performance from a lower performing CPU, or conversely that a better performing CPU cannot do some things better. The question of amortization of the increased cost is more complicated, but it becomes irrelevant if the buyer does not have the resources to make the higher priced investment in the first place.
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/29 20:34:13 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    FWIW,

I tend to work at either 128 or 64 samples on my AMD computer, and have zero issues.  I DO completely agree that Intel has faster processors - but that CPU is only part of it all - and for what I choose to work with, and with the budget I have available - being fully disabled (and $130,000 a year poorer because of it by only getting disability income now), I am able to get superb performance with more bang for the buck using AMD.

Money aside from my purchasing of components for a new build, I would indeed choose an Intel CPU, but since I can do do save several HUNDRED dollars by going with AMD, I get way better other components and overall a computer that soars through anything I ask of it.

Bob Bone

AntManB
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/31 08:22:58 (permalink)
    This seems to be a pretty good summary of the pros and cons of various CPUs for audio workstations:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/info/audio-pc-processor

Note, that it is from a company that sells CPUs so it may not be totally impartial but the facts as stated seem to make sense.

AMB

Jim Roseberry
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/31 13:21:13 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    The question of amortization of the increased cost is more complicated, but it becomes irrelevant if the buyer does not have the resources to make the higher priced investment in the first place.

I have nothing at all against AMD.
    The Intel 7700K is ~$160 more than the AMD FX9590.  (Rest of the build is pretty equal)
    When compared to other studio gear (mics, preamps, instruments, etc), the cost difference is paltry.  
    Over a five year life-span, the difference in cost is $2.67 per month.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Any reason to avoid AMD these days? 2017/01/31 13:31:26 (permalink)
    Understood, Jim, thanks.

I actually DO have a system with an i7 and a couple of other systems with AMD - both work plenty well enough for my running Sonar.  (I also save on the motherboard when building with AMD, due to bundle pricing at Micro Center for AMD-based CPU/MB purchases).

Either works great - get a bunch of memory and several drives, and have a blast.

Bob Bone

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1