Helpful ReplyFlashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996)

Author
DaveG74
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2017/01/29 21:48:16 (permalink)

Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996)

I remember a warm summer day in mid-1996 I purchased a Creative Sound Blaster sound card bundled with (wait, there's more) a CD-ROM drive and a new music sequencing software package: Digital Orchestrator, by Voyetra Turtle Beach. I would like to share with you my thoughts on this amazing software from back then, including my experience with it.

Here is the box cover and an assortment of terribly dated retro screen shots from the software:

Does this ring any bells to any of you? Even vintage, 90's 16-bit ones?

Now hold on to your hats, the minimum required specs would knock your socks off. To get this baby off the ground, you needed 8 MB of RAM and 10 MB of hard drive storage. Your processor speed had to be 66MHz, and it would help (greatly) if you had a mouse and a sound card. But the nice thing was that you could run this bad boy on Windows 3.1.

Okay, on a more serious note. Now, what was my first thought upon discovering this software? Well, music composition was a very unlikely would-be hobby of mine. I cannot read, write, or interpret music, let alone have I ever mastered an instrument. But somehow, DO immediately piqued my interest. So I blindly ventured into the software, taking my first ever step into music composition and learning as I went. I'm as much of a music composition newbie as there is...but I can tell you, I eventually developed some interesting melodies in my head that I was anxious to bring to life.

Voyetra's Digital Orchestrator, as you may/may not know, completely surrounds the General MIDI 1 patch set of 128 instruments, divided by eight categories. And oh, only one drum patch. But back then, it was the most innovative thing I've ever seen! I found it quite exciting, and not too difficult to learn. This project, from someone who was technically musically illiterate, was quite daunting but rewarding once the tracks were finished. My work was/is entirely done in the Piano Roll! So you can imagine the way I describe my work to everyone is as follows, "I draw lines and dots on the screen that represent notes. I do that thousands of times...and I have a song!"

So this was July of 1996. Over the course of the next several months, I composed over three dozen MIDI tracks. Somewhere down the line, I upgraded to Digital Orchestrator Plus or Digital Orchestrator Pro, but i don't remember which. Semantics shemantics. I mean, don't worry about it, really not relevant.

Along the way, I discovered my style, for the most part, encompassed much use of the piano, distortion/overdriven guitars, electric guitar, brass section and string ensemble. I composed every new tune that came into my head between rock, pop, classical, techno, ballad and rubbish. And I loved it! My stint in digital music composition lasted until 2003...and I finally became burned out. That's when I retired the project and moved on to other creative hobbies for the time being. But I will remember and thank Voyetra Turtle Beach for guiding me into the hobby of digital music composition (in which, shameful for me to say, I am still an amateur.)

That's where my story ends! So how many of you remember Digital Orchestrator? What did you think about it?

If you'd like to download a demo of Digital Orchestrator Pro -- well, you can find it all over the internets. It's only a demo, but I'm sure that if you Google search really quick, you can locate the developer and buy it before their offices shut down. Just go find it, do it! It's a lot of fun.

This has been my badly-written flashback to Digital Orchestrator. Please feel free to contribute and comments/observations/qualms! Thanks for reading.
post edited by Grundberg - 2017/01/29 22:17:33
jerrydf
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2017/01/30 06:18:27 (permalink)
Yes, I came through the Digital Orchestrator route, following on after Amiga with the MED/OctaMed sequencer. Going from Amiga to PC was arguably a retrograde step, but dictated by the market popularity and growth potential of the two technologies. I soon upgraded the soundblaster on the PC to an AWE64 card which came with Digital Orchestrator Plus (on a floppy). This seemed an alarmingly powerful piece of software and I soon shelled out for the full Digital Orchestrator Pro in its huge box and enormous manual full of potential. Between that and the AWE64, soundfonts were easy to work with.  The DOPro interface was also intuitive and allowed quick and easy cut/copy/pasting of bars around the tracks. The audio editing was also very easy. I was a little disappointed when Turtle Beach stopped developing it around 2000, but the upside was I moved to Cakewalk.

I know that the great Roger McGuinn (The Byrds, etc) also used DOPro, mainly for sketching out new songs and arrangements.  I still have one of his DOPro tracks somewhere ("Southbound Train" I think).

jdf

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2017/02/04 08:02:54 (permalink)
I came from Bars & Pipes and Octamed on the Amiga to Orchestrator on the PC just after Win 95 came out.

I had used PC's much earlier but it was purely for work. Music was the Amiga. It's demise pushed me to the PC. The Mac was far too expensive and as work had given me familiarity with Windows, it seemed much easier.

Then I found Cakewalk Pro 7 and I've been with them ever since.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2017/02/04 10:47:27 (permalink)
I started on the Amiga as well and was very active in that community for a period of time. I believe I got my first  sound blaster in 1995. I know it came with some excellent midi files and demos that I've since lost. In particular, I remember an orchestral demo that I considered very impressive at the time, and have looked for a few times.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
Pasi Sivula
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 10:18:36 (permalink)
I could have been the author of this post! Only, I quit in 2001 and never found my way back to composing. Still have all the hardware left (keyboards, synth modules) and thought I would make a final attempt to compose something before I get rid of it all. Searched for DOP and found this post. I guess you all use Cakewalk now. Did not like it back then. I still seek the simplicity of DOP...
jerrydf
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 280
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 10:50:41 (permalink)
Two months' ago we'd have all nodded and agreed "Yes, we all use Cakewalk Sonar now." However, as you may have seen from recent events it seems that Sonar has reached the same ignominious end that DOP did. 

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
Pasi Sivula
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 12:43:16 (permalink)
So, what tool should I be trying out if I want to focus on quick and effortless midi composing on Windows 10 with a feature set resembling that of DOP and not tons of bells and whistles. I particularly dislike tools like Garageband, without being able to put my finger on why. I need no crazy advanced arpeggiator, sound libraries, soft synths etc. But the user experience has to be top notch. No unpolished, mediocre, opensource stuff that will drive me crazy to set up with my hardware. Thanks
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 12:51:42 (permalink)
I love this post (OP). An example of music software doing something awesome that is *not* related to pro users or features: democratising music production, making tools available to 'newbies', hobbyists, etc. And I say that as a professional musician of long standing. I've never understood the elitism some of my colleagues seem to feel about tools aimed at non-professionals. So much great, creative music has been made by people who came to it through non-traditional channels, why would we want to discourage anything that brings more voices to the party, making more potential great music? Who knows where the next genius will come from, and what he or she will use to create great music? (Well, likely not Digital Orchestrator at this point, but you know what I mean...)

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Stone House Studios
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3550
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 14:22:52 (permalink)
subtlearts
I love this post (OP). An example of music software doing something awesome that is *not* related to pro users or features: democratising music production, making tools available to 'newbies', hobbyists, etc. And I say that as a professional musician of long standing. I've never understood the elitism some of my colleagues seem to feel about tools aimed at non-professionals. So much great, creative music has been made by people who came to it through non-traditional channels, why would we want to discourage anything that brings more voices to the party, making more potential great music? Who knows where the next genius will come from, and what he or she will use to create great music? (Well, likely not Digital Orchestrator at this point, but you know what I mean...)

Eloquently stated.

Before discovering music software, all of my midi composing was captured on a Yamaha TQ5. Somebody shared some software with me - prompting me to beg my family to get me Cakewalk software for Christmas - Studio 8 I think it was. Seems like a gazillion upgrades ago!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 14:47:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/27 19:37:55
Pasi Sivula
So, what tool should I be trying out if I want to focus on quick and effortless midi composing on Windows 10 with a feature set resembling that of DOP and not tons of bells and whistles. I particularly dislike tools like Garageband, without being able to put my finger on why. I need no crazy advanced arpeggiator, sound libraries, soft synths etc. But the user experience has to be top notch. No unpolished, mediocre, opensource stuff that will drive me crazy to set up with my hardware. Thanks

I never used DOP. That said, if I hadn't already been so invested in Studio One Pro when SONAR folded, I'd have given Tracktion Waveform a real shot. I'll always have Reaper as a secondary DAW, but it definitely does NOT fall into your easy-to-use out of the box requirement.

Waveform is modern and focused on music production, kind of a lean, mean, fighting machine. Ha. They have a demo. I think it would be worth a try.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
subtlearts
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 15:06:22 (permalink)
I was very impressed with Waveform too, and was tempted to pick up a license just on principle because I feel like it's got so much potential and momentum. There are so many good options right now... But there a lot to like in Waveform for sure.

I think my first 'sequencer' was the memory function on a Casio PT-1... But that hardly counts, even though a friend and I had a ton of fun programming a pair of them to play the left and right hand parts of Bach Two-Part Inventions and trying to start then in sync... Then I went vintage before vintage was cool and played nothing but a Rhodes, a Moog Rogue and a CS80 for a few years. Then the was an Ensoniq SQ-80 which got me started on sequencing again. Finally a Kurzweil K2000 and an early version of Cubase...

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 18:04:28 (permalink)
This was a great program for the time.

Recently deleted DOP from my storage because it will not run on anything past win XP, if I am correct. May only apply to the Pro version because of the audio inclusion.
Voyetra was one of my first happy encounters with online activation. They shut down the activation server with the excuse that they were protecting me against old software, so they made the decision to stop any license transfer or new activations. That disclaimer is probably still on their website.

No vst/vsti support, but was one of the most powerful quantitizing editors for drums. Was perfect for loop creation. You did your sketches with windows midi wave table and exported the mid files to your drum machine of choice.

For what it is worth, the upgraded Midi Orchestrator is still out there on the internet. It installs on win 10 without problem and has all the features Digital Orchestrator had plus more. I still use it on occasion.

John
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 18:16:43 (permalink)
Got my first sequencer in the mid-90's, and it was a hardware unit, Alesis MMT-8.  From that one, moved up to a Korg X2 workstation with on-board sequencer.

But I found pushing a cursor around a small LCD screen by pushing buttons to be a mind numbing task.  It worked, but there had to be a better way...

So one day I was looking over the new gear at my local music store (we still had those back then), and I noticed they had set up a demo with a Mac and MOTU Digital Performer (I think that is what was running that day).  Well that gear was way above my pay grade, but the impression stuck with me.

So after I acquired my first Windows PC (Pentium 1 - 133 MHz - 16MB RAM), I picked up Digital Orchestrator at my local Computer City store (we still had those back then, too).  Didn't know anything about computer music yet, but that was my first encounter with computer sequencing.  And then promptly learned that I would need a full duplex sound card, because that onboard sh*t just didn't cut it.  Cue up a Creative Sound Blaster! 

I learned about computer recording, and even attempted recording a song that my buddy wrote, for acoustic guitar and vocals.  The program was nice in concept and features, great with MIDI, but turned out to be a bit unstable with audio in my PC, to say the least.  It ate a weekends worth of audio takes, with no apparent recovery possible, ugh!

So I started asking around about music software for Windows.  Somebody in a computer store suggested Cakewalk, and so that is how I ended up with Cakewalk Professional, then upgraded to Pro Audio.  And that was a good 20 years ago! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Pasi Sivula
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 18:57:35 (permalink)
After some browsing I think Anvil Studios might be my next sequencer. But I will surely check out the other software mentioned. Also, since I still have some ORC files (the file format of late Voyetra Orchestrator) I am giving "Record Producer", also from Voyetra, a try. Actually seems to run on Windows 10. Now, obtaining a license might be tricky. It is as dead as DOP...
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 19:09:38 (permalink)
 I still have DOP but when XP came out they never bothered to upgraded it.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 19:36:14 (permalink)
Pasi Sivula

I would say take a look at Tracktion T6, full version DAW for free, company is still in business! 

A little history behind this company is that they were acquired by Mackie shortly after they began, who distributed their product for a while, but eventually let it linger in neglect.  It rose from the ashes when it was re-acquired by the original developer and the Tracktion Corporation was born.  So I'm sure they have plans to stick around.

Just register for free account to download. 

The world's best, fully featured, completely unlimited free DAW for all music creators

This is no ‘Lite’ version, we do not impose track limits, plugin limitations or other such constraints commonly found in other low cost offerings. Why? – we think you will enjoy using the app so much, you will discover the value in investing in our latest versions and the expanded features we are voraciously adding. Innovation and creativity is what drives us – join the ride today and download T6 for Mac, Windows, or Linux operating systems.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

Tutorial videos:  https://www.tracktion.com/training/videos

Unlimited tracks, VST support, and much more.  Single window interface with inputs on left, track clips in the middle, outputs, effect bins and mixer settings on the right.  Uses one type of track that will hold any objects such as MIDI clips, audio clips, etc.  Inline MIDI editor.  This program would function as a nice MIDI sequencer/editor.

I also use the latest Tracktion product, Waveform 8, which I got before Cakewalk went under to use as a secondary DAW.  This version has added an optional separate mixer window, separate MIDI editor, and some MIDI pattern generators that can add to the creative inspirations.  But you really could do everything needed in a sequencer with Tracktion T6.

abacab
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 20:05:11 (permalink)
TheMaartian
Pasi Sivula

I never used DOP. That said, if I hadn't already been so invested in Studio One Pro when SONAR folded, I'd have given Tracktion Waveform a real shot. I'll always have Reaper as a secondary DAW, but it definitely does NOT fall into your easy-to-use out of the box requirement.

Waveform is modern and focused on music production, kind of a lean, mean, fighting machine. Ha. They have a demo. I think it would be worth a try.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform

I really like Waveform, but rather than demo that for starters I would suggest Tracktion T6, with less bells and whistles.  Full version for free!  The MIDI editor is inline in the track clip in T6, but the track can be expanded to show the piano roll for editing.

For MIDI folks, the main new feature in Waveform that is not included in T6 is the separate MIDI piano roll editor that can be docked/undocked, resized, moved to a 2nd monitor. 

subtlearts
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 23:36:17 (permalink)
Pasi Sivula
After some browsing I think Anvil Studios might be my next sequencer...

Good lord, why? I had a 30 second look at the website. There is no reason to trap yourself in 1995.

Follow the good advice here. Get Tracktion T6. It's a proper DAW/sequencer, modern and relatively full-featured but easy and approachable, and free.

tobias tinker 
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
JohnKenn
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/27 23:59:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Pasi Sivula 2018/01/28 10:02:33
Back for a minute to the Voyetra programs, Record Producer should load in win 10, but as advised, will be the greater chance of finding a snowball in the brimstone pit than obtaining a license. Even if you purchased it like I did, Voyetra will not allow you to activate it. You bought Midi Producer or Record Producer and Voyetra threw the middle finger at you after getting your money. Midi Producer went on a campaigned fire sale for 12 dollars, trying to get the last penny from victims a couple weeks before shutting down the activation centers. Funny how they never advertised that part of the agreement. Strangely reminds me of another program sucking in buyers with promises of lifetime upgrades before dropping the bomb.

What Record Producer brought to the table for the time was 32 bit architecture in the audio realm, really cool but before the time that vst format gained ground and became a necessity. This is why 16 bit Digital Orchestrator Pro will not load in win 10 (just pulled it up to try it again). Bummer because DOP only needed a serial number, and it is the audio engine associated with the midi part that kills it on a modern OS.

Even if you could get RP running and authorized, there is no support for vst/vsti plugins, so doubt anyone would want it for a primary DAW. Audio did work well.

Stripped of the audio function, Midi Orchestrator had all the guts of the midi machine and came with an impressive library of drum loops, but many in the rpms or whatever format which could be converted to mid files from the program, but nothing else opens them up unless converted.

MO came as an individual purchase, or as a freebie if you bought their midi to USB cable..

Still a stellar loop monster in my opinion. The way it sections off discrete blocks of measures and a killer quantitize function. All the overdub or replace stuff as options.

I have the abandonware program without any need for online activation. As much grief as those guys caused me, would be glad to share the bounty. Got it stashed somewhere around here. Main use would be loop creation written upon the windows wave table GM format, exported as a midi file, imported into Reaper or whatever.

Welcome to PM me if you want to try this.

John
Pasi Sivula
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/28 10:01:52 (permalink)
Thanks for all the advice. I feel like I stole the thread from OP:s beautiful post so I will ask no more.

Some final words, though: I thought I was alone in using the niche Voyetra software back then. Lots of friends and acquintances that would reject it without even trying it, always referring to Cubase and the like. Of course Cubase, Steinberg, Cakewalk and the sort were more advanced and more useful for the PRO, ... but I was never a PRO. I needed software that kept composing a lot of fun and to me that would be software that I could use to capture the melodies that popped up in myhead in the fastest and easiest way. If it had not been fun, I would have quit earlier. I have some 300+ songs in my archives that would never have been created without DOP. I even had a small fanbase on the still young Internet and I recall it as a very fun period in my life. Had it not been for the music I would have been playing computer games instead. Anything to avoid studying for the next exam...
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/28 12:24:29 (permalink)
Creating music with a PC in the 90s was very frustrating. I've used Voyetra DOP back in the day to back up my trusty Roland PMA-5 SYSX data. Recently I've restored all my work and transferred it to MIDI using Sonar. Hope to get back to it some day and turn it into good sounding records.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/01/29 01:29:37 (permalink)
It's amazing how quickly you adapt to a method of entering notes into a sequencer. Back in the old Nokia flip phone days when you could program your own ringtones, I became a total whizz at entering the notes of any tune into the phone via the numeric keypad. 

I had OctaMED in the early 90's. Absolutely loved it. No MIDI, no external gear, just an 8-bit sampling cartridge which I used to sample everything that was worth sampling from my CD collection. I would also sample single guitar notes and intervals up and down the neck at various pitches, and would combine them to make any chord I liked. Entering notes was basically entering numbers with the numeric keypad into a giant vertical list of numbers, and once I got going with that thing I could write any part that came into my head, even complex jazz-fusion lines. It doesn't matter how tedious or fiddly a workflow is, if you're motivated to reach an end result and you put the time in, it becomes second nature. 

I can read and write music but these days I much prefer to write in the piano roll. It just makes more sense to me, and you can "see" familiar chord shapes in it just as you can see them on a stave. 

Having said that, I think the guitar fretboard will always be the most familiar to me in terms of scales and harmony. I think in shapes! Even when I'm composing in the piano roll, I always keep the fretboard in my mind's eye. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
JohnKenn
Re: Flashback: Digital Orchestrator (1996) 2018/02/06 03:27:08 (permalink)
Resurrecting this thread about an obsolete software, for whatever it may be worth. Also trying to clean out my archive of programs not used for decades, so not to post something about something surpassed and irrelevant.

Record Midi Producer still remains one of the most powerful midi drum loop creators available. Such a pity they decided not to evolve the project. The Voyetra bastards are still online selling headphones and tee shirts, but won't let you do the online activation or license transfer if you were alive when they sold it to you. Their excuse for shutting down the online activation server...to protect you from old software and possible data loss. Bastards...

Have the damned thing cracked wide open, and runs fine in win 10. Can PM if you want to try it.

Latency can be a **** if your soundcard doesn't have a ROM chip. In which case the program is useless. Down side to old stuff.

Workaround is to get a return path to a hardware external unit, simple as the keyboard you are inputting data with.

In which case latency is cut to near zero and you can hear the loop you are creating in about real time. Haven't yet found something that works so good.

John
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1