Windows 10....should I make the switch?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jlhawk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/01 13:41:05 (permalink)
I originally updated from Windows 7 to 10 on my DAW last April. Sometime in July the system crashed. I suspect an update issue, so at the time I dropped my win 7 backup on the machine and figured I'd deal with it later. After installing Splat, I decided to give Windows 10 a try again. So far it's been a few weeks and no major issues. This is a different version of 10 (Anniversary release) so that may make a difference. As others have mentioned, I thought it was inevitable that I'd need to do this sometime, and felt this was as good a time as any, probably better as I have no pressing projects to complete right now...   So far I'm not disappointed I made the switch...

Gigabyte 970A-DS3, A4 8300, 16GB DDR3
Windows 10 Spring Creator Edition, fully patched
Cakewalk by Bandlab, Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK
...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/01 16:50:13 (permalink)
Win 10 has been great for me. Installed like a dream and runs lighter and smoother than any windows yet. One thing that's tricky is that it will do driver installs in the background. I could not figure out how to get my Octa Capture drivers installed and then after several minutes Windows just said "okay, drivers installed!"

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/01 17:19:39 (permalink)
...wicked
Win 10 has been great for me. Installed like a dream and runs lighter and smoother than any windows yet. One thing that's tricky is that it will do driver installs in the background. I could not figure out how to get my Octa Capture drivers installed and then after several minutes Windows just said "okay, drivers installed!"

Right Wicked. I remember when I was looking for drivers for my Edirol mixer. It turned out Roland had made them automatic. Just plugin and it was ready. The only thing was I searched all over the place trying to fine them. There was a notice that this was going to happen but I didn't believe it.  It never happened before. Not only that but Roland had a very specific way to install them before that was not the normal way to install USB drivers. I have to say I like this way much better. Thats another plus for Windows 10.

Best
John
Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/02 07:50:51 (permalink)
Are there w10 drivers available for all hardware? Yes?

O yeah.... yesterday!

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
 Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
emwhy
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/05 14:48:35 (permalink)
OK Guys I thought I would check back in. Took the plunge the following way:

1. Fresh Install, then updated to the Anniversary Edition
2. Using an app called Shut Up Windows 10 I disabled all the BS I don't like
3. Installed SPLAT and even Adobe Audition 3.01, did the reg edit to get Adobe to open in SPLAT
4. Got the LAME MP3 encoder working
5. Edirol had Win 10 drivers, M-Audio didn't but the Win 7 driver works just fine. I use the Edirol for SPLAT anyway
So far so good right?
Then the fun began, START button stopped working which I've learned is a common issue. Was able to fix that. But when using jBridge to wrap some very old Waves 32 bit vsts the fun really started. When trying to insert the plug-ins it was crash city, and these were bad crashes where the driver doesn't release and you have to reboot the machine or cycle the power on the Edirol. Even then sometimes it wouldn't recognize the Edirol. Had to do the old rename aud.ini trick to fix things. Eventually fixed the jBridge/Waves issue...operator error on my part and updated to the latest version jBridge.......it's been over 3 years since I've reinstalled the whole lot so I forgot a few little tricks.

So after a rocky start things seem to be working great, can't tell if Win 10 is snappier or if it's just the placebo effect of a fresh install.

emwhy
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/05 14:48:38 (permalink)
OK Guys I thought I would check back in. Took the plunge the following way:

1. Fresh Install, then updated to the Anniversary Edition
2. Using an app called Shut Up Windows 10 I disabled all the BS I don't like
3. Installed SPLAT and even Adobe Audition 3.01, did the reg edit to get Adobe to open in SPLAT
4. Got the LAME MP3 encoder working
5. Edirol had Win 10 drivers, M-Audio didn't but the Win 7 driver works just fine. I use the Edirol for SPLAT anyway
So far so good right?
Then the fun began, START button stopped working which I've learned is a common issue. Was able to fix that. But when using jBridge to wrap some very old Waves 32 bit vsts the fun really started. When trying to insert the plug-ins it was crash city, and these were bad crashes where the driver doesn't release and you have to reboot the machine or cycle the power on the Edirol. Even then sometimes it wouldn't recognize the Edirol. Had to do the old rename aud.ini trick to fix things. Eventually fixed the jBridge/Waves issue...operator error on my part and updated to the latest version jBridge.......it's been over 3 years since I've reinstalled the whole lot so I forgot a few little tricks.

So after a rocky start things seem to be working great, can't tell if Win 10 is snappier or if it's just the placebo effect of a fresh install.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/05 15:03:33 (permalink)
To ensure a stable system don't use old outdated plugins. Waves in particular are trouble. As much as you may want them you will be much better off discarding them.  

Best
John
emwhy
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/02/05 16:27:50 (permalink)
I actually don't use them if at all, they're on my system in case I load a REALLY old bundle that predates the Pro Channel. So it's not a huge worry or even a deal breaker.

aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/05/25 19:59:30 (permalink)
Just to chime in on this.

I started with a windows 8 laptop. I then updated to windows 10. I ran with this update for a while until recently, always felt it was a tad sluggish. Particularly when loading windows, very slow - 3,4 minutes - Once loaded it was reasonable.

Sonar was a bit off also, little things.

So having alot of data onboard I decided to bite the bullet this weekend gone BUT went for a RESET ( via SETTINGS, Update & Security, Recovery, RESET THIS PC ). Then choose the keep my data option. OF COURSE I ALSO BACKED UP JUST IN CASE.

I read up on alot of wailing that reset doesnt work, it crashes, its not like a full reformat. However it went perfectly. I ended up with a new version of windows 10, dumping all the past upgrades. Left me with my data folders. And also a webpage listing all the software that got dumped during the process which was a handy list to refer back to.

I pretty much immediately did a DISK CLEANUP to dump all install, temp and past installation files ( via advanced in the cleanup tool ). Then did the windows updates which was not much because the reset pretty much installed the latest version of windows 10.

RESULT - I have to say a far far more slicker Windows 10 by a long shot. Sonar is now like a bullet and loading plugins like UVI and Kontakt with great speed.

Best thing I have done in a while. It also helped me to cull some software that was previously installed and pretty much decided I did not need it afterall .. hence freeing up more disk space.

Also .. the way I do things. On a windows PC I rarely allow software to be installed into Program Files folder. I setup C:\ subfolders for different genres of programs eg Audio Apps, Graphics Apps, Misc Apps folders etc.

Doing the reset LEFT all my subfolders intact too. So I could go back into them, take note of what I had installed and decided whether to keep the program going forward or not. If I decided to not keep / reinstall I just deleted that programs folder and content.

So - only app/software/program folders reset deletes are those INSIDE the two program file folders + anything in the hidden program data folder.
My point here is .. if you can always use your own custom folders for both data and for the software itself when installing same.
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/05/25 20:42:08 (permalink)
MandolinPicker
  • Windows constantly reports home, plus Microsoft has never specifically stated what data they are collecting and what they do with it. They state that it is to help 'improve' the software, but what is collected is kept close to the vest. This is a big privacy issue for a number of users/potential users.

Actually, Microsoft's data collection became more transparent recently, see the article below from April 5, 2017:

Microsoft opens up on Windows telemetry, tells us most of what data it collects
"Microsoft has published the full range of data that Windows 10 version 1703, the Creators Update, will collect in its default "basic" telemetry setting. The company has also provided details on the kinds of information that can be captured in the optional "full" telemetry setting."

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/microsoft-opens-up-on-windows-telemetry-tells-us-most-of-what-data-it-collects/
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Windows 10....should I make the switch? 2017/05/25 21:07:02 (permalink)
I installed Windows 10 over Windows 7 two weeks ago.

First I wrote down the following:
How long Windows 7 takes to boot: 50 seconds
How long Sonar takes to start: 7 seconds first time, 4 seconds subsequent.

After installing Windows 10, a windows boot takes 35 seconds to when the desktop displays. The wait cursor keeps turning and stuff is still loading on the bar at the bottom. After 50 seconds the cursor turns from wait to normal.

Sonar start times have remained identical.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1