RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs [SOLVED]

Author
Wood67
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1348
2017/02/06 05:01:13 (permalink)

RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs [SOLVED]

This is driving me nuts.  I've had my RME for a year or so and it's been working fine.  I've always been a bit confused that it has 2 XLR outputs, and although numerous OUTS appear in Windows I've only ever got signal out of the one flagged as SPEAKER.

Anyway, about a week ago I cloned my drive to SSD.  Everything is fine on that front - except Sonar refuses to see the RME outputs.  It lists the RME Analog outs but nothing is actually routing to them, and no sound either out of the headphone or XLR outs.

No issues with the rest of Windows.  I've tried deleting the AUD.INI, uninstalling and reinstalling the RME, updating the driver software for the RME (firmware is up to date).  But nothing at all seems to be able to bring those outputs back to the Sonar listing.  I've also been through every option on the RME UI itself, including all the 'full resets'.  Sure this is going to be something fairly simple, but it as me totally stumped!

Any ideas?
post edited by Wood67 - 2017/02/08 08:48:41

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.

11 Replies Related Threads

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/06 05:04:32 (permalink)
    I'm seeing a pattern here...

Do you see it in Playback Devices or Control Panel as working?
    Wood67
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/06 06:56:26 (permalink)
    Playback Devices/CP: Yes.  All outputs present and correct, both Analogue and the Optical ones.  It's just Sonar that only shows me these Analog1/3 outputs for the RME.  If I select those nothing goes to the RME (the Master channel gets no signal either).  All other W10 sounds are routing fine.

Very odd.

Wood

Studio One 3 Pro, (Sonar Platinum), Intel i7, Win10 Pro, 32Gb ram, RME Babyface Pro, Behringer X-Touch, Presonus Faderport, Akai MPK49, Arturia KeyLab25, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and other sonic surprises.
    DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/06 08:59:30 (permalink)
    If you have RME outputs set to Windows sounds, someone correct me if I'm wrong, SONAR must be set to
    "share drivers".
    Why the optical outs are not showing up; got me there...
    T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Wood67
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/06 09:15:26 (permalink)
    DeeringAmps
    SONAR must be set to "share drivers".

Is that setting in the Sonar 'Preferences' dialogues somewhere? I'm at work at the moment but will have a look for that - thanks for the pointer.

Wood

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/06 09:17:33 (permalink)
    That is a SONAR setting in preferences.
    Somewhere on the "Driver" page IIRC.

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/06 16:05:13 (permalink)
    The XLR outs are probably duplicates of the TRS outs for those who need to use XLR-XLR cables for some reason. If Sonar can see the Babyface's outputs and you can select them then it should be sending audio to the selected outputs. Check where Sonar's master channel output is pointing at.

I apologise in advance if you know what follows, but to be on the safe side I going to assume you might not. Are you sure you have the routing in RME's Totalmix application set correctly? If Windows sound works then that implies Totalmix is set up correctly but it's worth checking.

Open Totalmix then play something in an application that does give you working audio. You should find a block of Totalmix channels called "software playback". My audio (normally) routes to Software Playback channels AN1/2. You should see the meter moving on whichever of the playback channels is working. The Main Outs meter will also be moving and the fader on the Software Playback channel is probably set to 0, unless you've altered it at some time. Now shut the application you're using and launch Sonar. Check the master bus output to see if Sonar is sending audio to the same Sofftware Playback stereo pair that was working. If not, point it at that channel. With any luck that will work.

Totalmix is a huge application, and you can set up any audio source to play back to any channel in the Software Playback group. If you click on the bottom of a channel in Totalmix (where it says something like AN 1/2 in white) you can pick from that menu any possible place the channel can be routed to. If you select an entry from the menu the channel fader will now show the volume it's set to for the hardware output channel you just selected. It will also send audio to any other outputs selected for that channel using whatever fader position is set for that output.

For example, I have software playback 1/2 routed to both the main outs (hardware outputs 1/2) and phones 9/10.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Wood67
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/07 08:02:22 (permalink)
    @TLW - thanks for that post.  I spent another couple of hours last night on this problem, and made some progress but also ran into some issues.  It does look as though the problem is more on the RME TotalMix side than Sonar.

In a nutshell, if I set the Audio (in Windows and Sonar) to the RME Analog 1/2 I do indeed get signal routed out of those two outputs on the RME.  So far so good.  However, nothing is feeding into the RME 3/4 outputs which are the headphones.  Up until now, the RME has always allowed me to use both in parallel - I just switch on the RME hardware unit and adjust the volume.  Conversely, I can set Windows/Sonar to use 3/4 as the output and it will then go only to the headphones.

So I need to find a way to route the main 1/2 Analog outputs also to outputs 3/4.  I don't need a separate headphone mix, just the sum stereo output mirrored.  Here's where it gets interesting: the TotalMix screen shows me Hardware In, Hardware Out and the 'Control Room' panel.  There is no 'Software Playback' panel which you mention, and I also saw in other net threads.  I've tried every total reset on the RME but cannot get this panel.  That could explain why I'm not able to get an audio signal routed from main to 1/2 + 3/4.

Odd, because until this issue surfaced I've never had to do anything on the TM interface.  A total reset there before has always provided the right signal path.

Wood

tlw
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/07 21:19:59 (permalink)
    OK. At the bottom of the Software Playback channel you're using will be something like 'AN1/2” in white.

The Totalmix channels and outputs you have available will be different to me, because I've 12 ins and 12 outs in the interface itself plus two phone channels and the digital ADAT etc. channels as well.

Now, at the bottom of the Software Playback channel you're using will be something like 'AN 1/2' in white. The numbers may be different, but they'll probably be the main analogue outs that go to the monitors.

If you click on the white letters a menu will appear. This lets you select where you want the signal from that channel to go and you can select as many entries in it as you want. Active routes have a small tick beside them. One of those entries will point to the headphone outlet you're using. Select it and the Software Playback channel fader will now control the volume being sent to the headphones output. I suggest turning it to zero and forgetting about it, controlling the volume from the headphone output instead.

Unless you untick the entry for the main puts they will also be active.

Generally I leave software playback channel faders at 0 for the ones I use and at the bottom of their travel (-infinity) for the rest. I have software playback 1/2 routed to the UFX AN 1/2 outs, three running to hardware outputs so I can process audio from the computer through hardware and back in again and one software playback channel configured to the phones output.

I also set up a DAW output bus that goes direct to the software playback channel that feeds the headphones, with Sonarworks and Waves Nx inserted on that DAW bus, which is the one I use for headphones. That's if its just me doing stuff. If anyone else is involved things can get more complicated :-/

Totalmix presents a huge number of available channels and available routings, it's designed to accomodate pretty much anything anyone in a studio of any size might require of a digital mixer such as lots of individual foldback and headphone mixes . I find it helps to get your head around it if you take a look at the routing diagrams in RMEs' manual and draw your own diagrams of the routings you want and channels involved then work through them in the software until things work.

I've been using Totalmix for a while and sometimes still find new ideas for what it can do.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Wood67
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/08 08:52:47 (permalink)
    Thanks all - after another couple of hours last night, and having realised it was almost certainly a RME routing issue rather than Splat or hardware, I finally had it fixed.

There's a mode in TM that sends audio signals direct to the hardware outputs.  Critically this does two things: first it only sends to one pair of outputs (it won't output to both XLR and phones).   Second, it also removes the 'Software Playback' row of channels, which is where you apply all the routing.

Once I'd turned that back on it was a fairly simple exercise in sending the main output to channels 3/4.

I guess one of the issues here is that because TM is so flexible, when all you need to do is the most basic stereo pair routing it's easy to get lost!

Wood

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/08 10:04:42 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

tlw
    Re: RME Babyface Pro: SPLAT won't see outputs 2017/02/08 19:44:07 (permalink)
    Ah, so that was it.

I'd forgotten about that direct routing mode that 'hides' the software playback channel section, possibly because I can't remember ever having used it.....

At least, that's my excuse.

TM is probably the most comprehensive software-controlled mixer there is as far as routing anything anywhere goes but the downside of that is the complexity of it all. Still, could be worse, at least you can see mot of what's going on at a glance and unlike most digital mixers there's virtually no menu diving required.

And you even get a huge printed manual as well.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1