That's what she said

Author
SoundRegion
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2017/02/10 13:32:15 (permalink)

That's what she said

I did a Steinman with this one and took a regular expression and turned it into a song. It's one of 4 songs that I'm thinking on releasing and have be it for me on the "songs", so I need your brutally honest opinion on basically anything.

https://soundcloud.com/so...-what-she-said/s-YR19P

New vocal (25/2)
https://soundcloud.com/so...hat-she-said-1/s-OtFix
Final Mix
https://steenelm.bandcamp...ck/thats-what-she-said

post edited by SoundRegion - 2017/03/05 19:20:16

Steen
------------------
Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
Soundcloud  Bandcamp

11 Replies Related Threads

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/10 14:21:51 (permalink)
    I loved the simplicity of this song it really works. One of those songs that needs real drums, be worth looking into that. Bit more passion from the vocal delivery, tell me what the words mean! the tone of the vocal is really nice. This song is authentic because of the use of a "regular expression".

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    SoundRegion
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/11 05:24:36 (permalink)
    whack
    I loved the simplicity of this song it really works. One of those songs that needs real drums, be worth looking into that. Bit more passion from the vocal delivery, tell me what the words mean! the tone of the vocal is really nice. This song is authentic because of the use of a "regular expression".

Cian

Thanks for your input. I know what you mean about the vocal. I try so hard to be on key, that it can be a bit emotionless. I plan to take another crack at the vocals when my throat stops hurting.

Steen
    ------------------
    Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/11 08:44:32 (permalink)
    I would not be worried about using touch of Melodyne to bring the vocals closer when you do let your emotion in.  It is not as if you do not check the tuning on your guitar now is it?

Will keep the furry ears open for the remix.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    SoundRegion
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/25 13:21:48 (permalink)
    I transposed this 5 semitone up to get a better vocal, but not sure if it's better:

https://soundcloud.com/so...hat-she-said-1/s-OtFix

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/25 17:27:42 (permalink)
    Steen, I want to start by saying that I like this song, and I much prefer the newer version.  It was well worth your time to redo this, and now your voice has some flavor that works for you.   As Cian said, the drums might be worth your time to give this production a bit more depth.  Otherwise, good job.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/25 20:18:21 (permalink)
    If you replace the drums, or even throw in a fill once in a while, it'd be a major step up. It's a pleasant tune, certainly!
    I like the spacey synth pad, and to go along with, maybe your drums could be electronic or such. Go 80's!

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    SoundRegion
    Re: That's what she said 2017/02/27 15:24:44 (permalink)
    Lynn
    Steen, I want to start by saying that I like this song, and I much prefer the newer version.  It was well worth your time to redo this, and now your voice has some flavor that works for you.   As Cian said, the drums might be worth your time to give this production a bit more depth.  Otherwise, good job.

emeraldsoul
    If you replace the drums, or even throw in a fill once in a while, it'd be a major step up. It's a pleasant tune, certainly!
    I like the spacey synth pad, and to go along with, maybe your drums could be electronic or such. Go 80's!

cheers,
    -Tom

Thanks for the comments. I'm working a bit more on the drums. It's just never been my strong point.

Steen

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    SoundRegion
    Re: That's what she said 2017/03/04 19:17:43 (permalink)
    Final mix out:
    https://steenelm.bandcamp...ck/thats-what-she-said

New vocals and a bit more variation in the drums. It's not going to get any better.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Midiboy
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 414
    Re: That's what she said 2017/03/05 15:25:37 (permalink)
    Your link on top of the page takes you to a song called Nomansland.

Now that I found this link, I'm listening to this also.

I like this song quite a bit.  The lyrics are "real" and are really well done.  I like the vocals quite a bit.  They remind me of some 80s post punk groups like The Alarm.  I love the simplicity of the instrumentation, including the drums.  To me, to have anything more going on would detract from the song itself.  

My only crit (and I know you said it's the final mix and it's not going to get any better), you can hear extra vocal noises like lip smacks and breaths between some of the lines and especially at the beginning before the vocals start.  If it's not too late, I'd go in and try to edit those out.  

Honestly, that's my only crit.  As for the song writing and instrumentation, I absolutely am in love with this song.  It's like my life before I got married.  I can definitely relate to the lyrics. 

----
    Gregg
    Midiboy Music
    www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: That's what she said 2017/03/05 17:26:21 (permalink)
    Hi Steen,

I am currently listening to the final mix.

On the whole, I think you should be proud of what you have done here. You say, "it's not going to get any better," but I disagree a little... Okay, leave this one where it is, and then apply what you have learned on your next project.

To be honest, I think you have a fine song at the end there. You have a good voice too...

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    SoundRegion
    Re: That's what she said 2017/03/05 19:26:50 (permalink)
    Midiboy
    Your link on top of the page takes you to a song called Nomansland.

Now that I found this link, I'm listening to this also.

I like this song quite a bit.  The lyrics are "real" and are really well done.  I like the vocals quite a bit.  They remind me of some 80s post punk groups like The Alarm.  I love the simplicity of the instrumentation, including the drums.  To me, to have anything more going on would detract from the song itself.  

My only crit (and I know you said it's the final mix and it's not going to get any better), you can hear extra vocal noises like lip smacks and breaths between some of the lines and especially at the beginning before the vocals start.  If it's not too late, I'd go in and try to edit those out.  

Honestly, that's my only crit.  As for the song writing and instrumentation, I absolutely am in love with this song.  It's like my life before I got married.  I can definitely relate to the lyrics. 

Thanks for your input Gregg. I appreciate it.
    Link has been changed. I didn't notice the noises. I moved away from headphones for mixing, which I probably why I didn't notice.
    Simplicity seems to be the thing theses day if you listen to the popular songs on the radio. Far from Spector.
    synkrotron
    Hi Steen,

I am currently listening to the final mix.

On the whole, I think you should be proud of what you have done here. You say, "it's not going to get any better," but I disagree a little... Okay, leave this one where it is, and then apply what you have learned on your next project.

To be honest, I think you have a fine song at the end there. You have a good voice too...

cheers

andy

Thank a lot Andy. I really appreciate it.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1