Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2017/02/12 18:45:15 (permalink)

Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling

I can't be alone in thinking the amount of hiss that "analog" style plugins add to a track is just ridiculous. It's not that bad if you're only using one instance, but if you have multiple instance in the project (like one on every track) then the buildup of hiss is horrible! And sometimes I can't even work out who the biggest culprits are, for example I'm trying to reduce hiss in a project right now and my first idea was the waves H-comp which has these analog modes which create hiss. But the instance I'm using has its analog control set to "off," and when I turn it on the hiss actually reduces in noise. 

Sometimes it's really hard to trace. For instance you might turn off a plugin and the hiss reduces in volume, but is the hiss coming from that plugin or is the plugin simply increasing the gain of pre-existing hiss somewhere else up the chain? 

Does anyone actually think this hiss adds anything good to a track? It's noticeable for me in quiet parts and it bugs the crap out of me. I really like the sound of some of these plugins but WHY the hiss. Some of them you can't even turn it off. I can't help feeling that in 10 years time when the novelty of analog modeling has worn off, we're going to look back and laugh at this ridiculous hiss. And what about electrical hum as well? Ooo look, you can have 50Hz or 60Hz. Decisions decisions......

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

11 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/12 19:00:07 (permalink)
    It is a totally dumb concept if you ask me and it is taking analog modelling way too far. I remember going to great lengths years ago to remove hiss or reduce it as much as possible and now they are putting it back.

I think you will find with almost every plugin that does it that you have the option to turn it off.  If you cannot then use another brand that either does not have the hiss or it can be turned off.

And yes it builds up for sure just like it did in the old days. One way to check is to solo every track that you think it is coming from and try turning it off one by one. Or there may be a pot that allows you to alter the level of the hiss. If there is then set it to zero.

It is not the same either like older analog gear used to introduce it.  In the older gear it just seemed to somehow be added in or really integrated with the signal but now they just generate it and add it in almost on top of the signal. It does not even sound the same.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    sharke
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/12 19:25:38 (permalink)
    I agree, it's not natural sounding at all. I have the RC-20 Retro Color plugin and while I think the vinyl surface noise, tape wobble and tape dropouts can add some nice color and interest to a track, I'm at a loss as to why you'd want to add any of the other varieties of noise they offer. 

I mean there's VHS noise, cassette noise, "studio noise" (two kinds), white noise, pink noise, 7.5' tape noise, 15" tape noise, tube noise, DC noise, "Muff" noise (from the Big Muff pedal?), radio noise, 8-bit noise and something called "Apollo." I don't think you'd ever want any of them in a track unless you were genuinely trying to recreate those sounds for a movie or something. 

And I hear some people say "oh it adds air"! Really? There are, surely, far better ways of adding air to a track. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    telecharge
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1180
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/12 19:51:06 (permalink)
    sharke
    But the instance I'm using has its analog control set to "off," and when I turn it on the hiss actually reduces in noise.

I wonder if this isn't some kind of phase cancellation going on.

I also wonder if you bounce it down if you could use a transient shaper/designer to reduce or eliminate it.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/13 01:37:36 (permalink)
    Usually the first dial on an analogue emulation plugin that I reach for is the noise dial or noise on/off switch. WAVES e.g. always has it enabled by default when you insert the plug and I definitely turn it off first thing (although there were occasions when I added some of it back in .... but more for FX than "reality")

What I really do not like is when the amp sim modellers also model noise/hum but often without the option to turn it off! I have several bass amp sims which I don't use anymore for that particular reason.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    sharke
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/13 10:12:39 (permalink)
    telecharge
    sharke
    But the instance I'm using has its analog control set to "off," and when I turn it on the hiss actually reduces in noise.

I also wonder if you bounce it down if you could use a transient shaper/designer to reduce or eliminate it.

That's certainly possible. 

James
    sharke
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/13 10:51:29 (permalink)
    telecharge
    sharke

That sounds possible. 

James
    mikedocy
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/13 22:21:42 (permalink)
    sharke
    ...I'm at a loss as to why you'd want to add any of the other varieties of noise they offer. 

I mean there's VHS noise, cassette noise, "studio noise" (two kinds), white noise, pink noise, 7.5' tape noise, 15" tape noise, tube noise, DC noise, "Muff" noise (from the Big Muff pedal?), radio noise, 8-bit noise and something called "Apollo."

Like everything else, it is all about sales.
    Put in features that get people's attention. Put in features that people think they need.
    If it looks like it does all kinds of cool stuff, more people will buy it, even if they never use the special features.

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/13 23:46:56 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    It is a totally dumb concept if you ask me and it is taking analog modelling way too far. I remember going to great lengths years ago to remove hiss or reduce it as much as possible and now they are putting it back.

Maybe it the necessary removal processes that really made the analog sound what it was.

kidding of course, that'd be awful.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/14 10:15:33 (permalink)
    James,

hiss and noise are a feature, not bug, of analog recording.  ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/15 13:52:58 (permalink)
    davdud101Maybe it the necessary removal processes that really made the analog sound what it was.

There's a lot of truth in that.

An example - a cranked Fuzz Face into a cranked Marshall with the amp inputs jumpered and everything on ten.

Result is a huge amount of hiss and hum because the fuzz takes the incoming background noise, adds it's own noise and massively compresses and amplifies it. Then the Marshall repeats the process. The resulting noise floor is dreadful and, as Pete Cornish puts it, not fit for serious use.

Use a bit more restrained settings on the fuzz and turn the amp down a bit and you can get all the sustain and fuzz out of the setup anyone's likely to need and.... much less hum, hiss and buzz and as a bonus everything's much more managable and more predictable to play into. And that's how it was (and is) done.

The same applies to compressors, even good studio ones. Feed something noisy into a compressor and squash it and the noise floor rockets upwards. So when working in the analogue realm gain staging is crucial and some things have to be avoided simply to keep the noise down.

Vintage studio equipment generally simply couldn't handle modern +4dB levels without instantly and undesirably distorting so levels were kept down to what the gear could handle and that in turn also helped keep the noise down. In modern K-system terminology the levels used were often somewhere around K20 to K14

As for amp sims, I can understand one being noisy if it's "amplifying" an already noisy input chain, but there are some that are so noisy with nothing going into them that if I owned that amp I'd be thinking of trying a valve change in the preamp's gain stage, getting the filter capacitors replaced or trading it in. I have sometimes wondered if the sim programmers simply wanted to add lots more gain to the "simulation" that the real amp is capable of and the noise is a side-effect of that or whether they simply modelled a defective amp :-)

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    mikedocy
    • Total Posts : 1157
    Re: Crazy buildup of hiss in a track - analog modeling 2017/02/16 12:30:56 (permalink)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1