Getting sonar to recognize my edrums

Author
Thomasc02
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2017/02/18 19:14:22 (permalink)

Getting sonar to recognize my edrums

Hey guys, I just recently purchased Sonar home studio and i am having a problem in finding out how to connect my ddrum electric drum set to sonar. My computer has recognized my edrum kit, I just dont know where to go in sonar to find it.
I am connected via USB, Anything would help as i am new to this program. 

20 Replies Related Threads

telecharge
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1180
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/18 20:09:45 (permalink)
    I believe your edrums are a MIDI device, so try this...
    • Open SONAR
    • Go to Edit > Preferences > MIDI > Devices
    • Select your MIDI ports under Inputs
    • Select your MIDI ports under Outputs
    • Click Apply
    • Click Close
    • Click the + (Add Track) button in the Track view
    • Click the Instrument tab
    • Select Record Enable
    • Click Create
    The Grim
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/18 20:09:46 (permalink)
    does it show up in the list when you go to the edit (menu in sonar) - preferences - midi - devices ?
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/18 21:06:05 (permalink)
    My Yamaha kit comes with a driver so you have to install that first. 
    Then as said above you make sure it's checked as an input device on your midi list'
    Insert a midi track and select the drum kit as the input device. 
    I monitor my drums brain when I play otherwise there is a touch of latency which bugs me. You might fare better if your computer is better than mine.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/21 20:39:20 (permalink)
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the responses. So far i was able to go into my preferences and get sonar to acknowledge my edrum set. 
    I read the owners manual for my edrum set and it states that no drivers are needed. I have a Ddrum DD5x.
    Once i would make a MIDI track and go to the SI-Drum page my drums would start playing out of my speakers.
    One i did anything else though (minimize the window or hit record) the drum set would just cut out almost like it was not sending a signal anymore. If i restarted sonar everything would work fine again. Until i would click something else. anyone ever had this problem before? 

I tried doing what you said as far as adding a track and selecting the instrument. I see my edrum but i am still getting no signal if i do it that way. The best way i have figured out how to get anything is by going into the SI-drums. Any input would be great. Thanks.
    telecharge
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/21 21:51:37 (permalink)
    Sounds like you're halfway there. See if this works for you. Substitute "DropZone" for SI Drums and "keyboard" for edrums.

Recording MIDI: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Tutorial4.3.html
    Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/21 22:05:51 (permalink)
    Telecharge,
    I have tried what you said and when i do these steps
    • Click the + (Add Track) button in the Track view
    • Click the Instrument tab
    • Select Record Enable
    • Click Create
    The drums come through but are delayed. I am still getting the same problem with cutting out after a few seconds. if i go to the SI-drums however the edrums come in on time but still only come in for a few seconds. I have made sure that my midi is coming through the input settings and they will either play or not play with the record button engaged. when i had the sonar x1 demo i never had this problem of the drums cutting out. 

telecharge
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/21 22:19:13 (permalink)
    I'm not sure, Thomas, but delays usually means latency. Maybe something here will help?

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013182/Im-getting-a-delay-or-latency-when-recording-or-performing-synths
    Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/22 20:05:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Telecharge I appreciate the help.
    I will give this a try. 
    I have read over the link you sent. what is the best driver as far as audio? Im on a Dell PC. 
    This is the list of drivers i have.
    WDM/KS
    WASAPI Exclusive
    WASAPI Shared (which is what is selected)
    MEE (32 bit)

I have tried going through to SI-Drums again and everything seems to work fine as far as latency.
    But after a bit its almost like the input from my edrums stop. i can still click on the SI-Drums and the work but i get nothing from my edrums. 
    telecharge
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/22 21:27:31 (permalink)
    I've read a number of posts here where people have had good success with WASAPI Exclusive. Also, a dedicated audio interface typically works best. (See this thread for a discussion of USB interfaces and latency.)

This guide will help you optimize your PC.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013376/Windows-Optimization-Guide

It's possible, but not likely, you have a defective unit. ddrum should be able to help you troubleshoot.

Customer Service - customerservice@ddrum.com
    Toll Free: (800) 793-5273
    Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/22 21:41:31 (permalink)
    Thanks again man. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what the deal is. Im pretty sure my set is still under warranty if anything is wrong with it. 
    Cactus Music
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/22 21:45:51 (permalink)
    Well often if there is not a proper driver supplied there will be issues like this. It's important when using a DAW to use good drivers. 
    So myself before I buy anything I go to the web page and see what's available under downloads for the product. 
    Any product that claims " no driver is needed" is off my list.  I will assume problems. 

But maybe your set will work, you say you had it working with LE. 

So things to check. 

Insert a new midi track. 
    Select your E drums Omni as the input device
    Select record for the track and make sure the input echo is highlighted. It should always be highlighted when the midi track is selected. 
    play your drums and the track meter should be showing action. 
    if not you have no or have lost your connection to the drums and that's your drivers, a bad usb cable or?   
    if the track meter is showing then move to the next step. 
    Insert SI drums And not point the output of the midi track to them. 
    They should play regardless of the GUI being open or not.
    Just make sure you still have "focus" of the midi track and input echo highlighted.
    Now what the track meter and it should still show action and you should still hear the SI drums playing as your strike your drums.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/22 22:00:34 (permalink)
    Thanks cactus. Tomorrow I am going to try a different computer. That was what i originally used when i had sonar X1.
    If i have the same problem then im going to assume its my edrums. When i bought the set i didnt know there was no drivers included. I bought it so that i could practice without causing a ruckus for everyone else but now i planned on using it for recording. Hopefully its still under warranty. 
    Cactus Music
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/23 01:13:04 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, There probably nothing broken about your kit. 
    And also to be clear the driver I'm talking about is a MIDI driver which is not the same as an audio driver like WASAPI. But the audio drive does come into play when you trigger a drum VST. 
    Yes you will have audio latency most systems , even with ASIO drivers which come with proper audio interfaces. 
    It makes it hard with drums. I have enough latency with my set up that is bugs me when I play my drums using a VST drum source so what I do is direct monitor the Digital drum set brain which has no latency. I record the midi that way and then use a VST drum for playback in Sonar. 

But that's a different driver, the midi driver is what I'm talking about and that is needed for Sonar to receive the output from the drums via USB and translate into midi data. Without a driver supplied by the manufacturer, Windows will toss in some sort of generic driver,and when you say it worked on the other computer that may just tell us something. Possibly that computer used a better generic driver than your other one did,, just a long shot. 
    If it is a problem another solution is I see your drum kit has real MIDI ports which you can also use into Sonar.What you would need is an audio interface with midi ports like the Tascam us 2x2. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US2X2
     You will want a proper audio interface anyhow, it makes working with Sonar much  much better. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/23 06:17:24 (permalink)
    the delay is not your computer or the EDrum kit. its most likely your soundcard.
    I hade the same problem using an E Kit with a MIDI/USB cable.
    I was trying to help my buddy set up his kit without a soundcard. I thought I could at least get it close (his was a Roland TD 1). but the latency was still there no matter what I did with the buffer size.

You might have better results using ASIO4ALL but I never recommend that. more often than not it creates more problems than it solves. so use it at your own risk.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/23 10:25:52 (permalink)
    His issue is Sonar is disconnecting from his drums. He gets it to work when the focus is on SI drums only. 
    There is no reason to asio4all anymore, we now have WASAPI. 
    And most certainly as I said above, in the end you should rely have a proper audio interface if you want things to go smoothly. And for E drums if your going to monitor a VST drum you will need an interface that is capable of under 7ms of RTL... so an RME, Motu etc. The easy solution is don't monitor the VST, monitor the E drums when tracking. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/23 20:50:57 (permalink)
    Thanks guys i appreciate the help. I will mess around some more tonight and see what happens. the price isnt too bad on that tascam either. I went to guitar center and was looking for a audio interface and the guy working there said they only had one available and it was almost $350 so thats why i skipped out on that. chuckebaby thanks for the videos. I was looking for something like that one youtube and couldnt find much so thank you. 

EDIT: Chuckebaby I have double checked my preferences and noticed in the playback and recording section it does not show my 
    edrums in the "currently assigned port" box all i have is "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"

Sonar was automatically on WDM/KS so i will try the WASAPI and see if that helps. Im still new to this so thanks once again for the help guys.
    Thomasc02
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/23 21:29:21 (permalink)
    Well I was able to change the "Currently Assigned Port" to my edrum. still the same result. As soon as i click out of the SI-Drums window and go to record it just cuts out. My edrums are still getting a signal on the module but nothing in Sonar. If i restart Sonar i get it back, Until i click out of that box again. Being i bought SHS am i able to un-install the program and re-install it? or do i only get 1 download? I would like to download it on my other computer but before i hook everything up i would like to know if i can install it again. Maybe something got corrupt when downloading Sonar. I do remember that my computer did a mandatory restart because it needed a update while i was downloading Sonar.
    telecharge
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/23 22:17:14 (permalink)
    I've seen very little information about Home Studio, but you should be able to download it from your account.

https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Products
    jb101
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2946
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/24 08:51:55 (permalink)
    +1 to not using asio4all under any circumstances.

Is it only me who misreads this thread title as "Getting Sonar to recognise my eardrums" every time I see it?

I use a Yamaha kit and do as Cactus Music suggested - I monitor via the kit's brain and playback via vsti, even though I get around 4ms latency from my interface.

Hope you get it sorted.

Sonar Platinum
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Getting sonar to recognize my edrums 2017/02/24 08:58:02 (permalink)
    +1 to not using asio4all under any circumstances.

no, ignore this, this is just "panic mode" response...("under any circumstances" ffs)

use asio4all if the provided drivers are cobblers; i've used, and still use, asio4all for years across multiple different devices and pcs with great success... BUT you should always default to the provided drivers

maybe the users who suggest otherwise had a different experience than me, but if you apply the same logic to, say, sonar itself...

good luck!

just a sec

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1