Karnataka last night

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/02/19 10:17:53 (permalink)

Karnataka last night

I went to a great concert by prog band Karnataka last night at Tavistock Wharf, Devon. There was a hint of spring in the air so I took the scenic route across Dartmoor which is always nice. This probably should be in the deals forum as the tickets were only £13.50 including a booking fee.

The band is a xenophobes nightmare, the singer is English, the Drummer French, the guitarist Italian, the keyboard player Turkish and the bass player WELSH! They certainly gel well together and Çağri Tozluoğlu on keys adds a bit of oriental spice.

Vocalist Hayley Grffiths comes from a musical theatre background and has an incredible range, I think her "rock" voice has improved since the last time I saw them and operatic soprano is as good as ever. She certainly draws on her theatrical background for her stage performance. She is quite a contrast to the hairy blokes that make up the rest of the band.

Enrico Pinna's guitar work is often understated but always excellent, Jimmy Pallagrosi is explosive on the drums and Ian Jones on bass is the leader and holds it all together.

The music is very melodic and there are some real earworms. Highlight for me was the epic 20 minuit "Secrets of Angels"

This was only the second date of the 2017 European tour, its well worth catching them if you get chance, they will be in UK, Italy, Holland, Belgium and Germany.
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2017/02/19 17:30:42

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

6 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Karnataka last night 2017/02/19 13:38:03 (permalink)
    Listening to 'Secrets of Angels' now..yes, singer is very 'theatrical' - Sarah Brightman meets Loreena McKennitt and Annie Haslam . Good guitarist!

Wish some proggers would venture into SW Scotland occasionally. I got dragged to Nathan Carter in Carlisle recently. He puts on a good show but I'm not really one for Irish/Country/Michael Buble mash-ups.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Karnataka last night 2017/02/19 14:45:50 (permalink)
    We are lucky to have Tavistock Wharf, I have seen Karnataka twice, Mostly Autumn twice, Panic Room once and Focus once there in the past couple of years, but it’s mostly tribute bands these days. I had a brief twitter conversation with Ann-Marie Helder of Panic room about dates on their 2017 tour and she said it was very hard to find a venue in the south west unless they could guarantee a sell-out.

The Wharf is not really on my doors step though at about a 75 minute drive around the A38. It’s always nice to take the route across the moor if the weathers fine, but I would avoid it on the return journey because of the wandering livestock on the roads after dark, not to mention the “hairy hands”.

Bristol is just over two hours drive and about my limit unless I stay overnight somewhere.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Karnataka last night 2017/02/19 16:32:55 (permalink)
    Sounds like fun!  I'm back to where I was when I was young at the moment.  If I have enough money to go to a show, I'll buy the music instead.  Oh well...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    craigb
    Re: Karnataka last night 2017/02/20 18:16:47 (permalink)
    Been listening to Secret Of Angels a few times now.  Still like it!  It's just about time to move on though - lol!

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Karnataka last night 2017/02/20 18:23:51 (permalink)
    Yep, must be due for a new album soon, they said there is a live DVD coming soon, but no mention of new material.

craigb
    Re: Karnataka last night 2017/02/25 02:46:46 (permalink)
    Instead of "moving along" I simply added their earlier albums - lol!  I love Road to Cairo and Poison Ivy sounds just like the background music in Crysis 2 - heh...

I hope when the new album arrives that I still remember how to rip a CD - been a while! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1