Snap to Zero Crossings, intermittently stops working on X versions including plt

Author
wayne T.handzus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2017/02/21 08:58:58 (permalink)

Snap to Zero Crossings, intermittently stops working on X versions including plt

Greetings from a dimly lit small room somewhere in SF
Wayne here,.
I use SONAR every day for the most part,.
Here on the processing portion of a project,. I'm splitting electric Guitar tracks down into clips
as I have been doing today and all last week,.
I have found it quicker then automation to just zoom in an do in manually rather then use the auto gizmos,.
audio snap and  isotope,. and gate,. I allways end up having to go back and check every note 3 or 4 times, markers,. etc,.
and every cycle in the case of isotope after bouncing, so,
on the latest update,.23,1,0,32,.,.I had good results.
thanks to people working at SONAR,.
SONAR has been working very well, mixing beautifully.
however snap to zero intermittent trouble this has been going on with every X version so far,
where the snap to zero crossings stops working.
and NEVER works with 64 bit data. using 32 bit floating point data.
most times I can save my project and exit SONAR then reopen and it works again,. however, sadly today,
Snap to Zero Crossings wont come back,.
it was working, I split a track of maybe 6 minutes long into notes, mostly a duration of one note per clip, 
manually, and, at the same time running eq. to help remove the sounds of some open strings that may have been vibrating at the time, ( fret the A note at the 5th fret 1st string, the A,5th string vibrates al thru the next notes sometimes ,. it happens on any note that has a open string that has the same note name i.e.  E A D G B.
so anyway,. using quad curve eq. in pro channel is a beautiful piece of work,. I can see open string vibrating way, way down
if, I turn up a bus input and use the eq. in a bus,. if I do so I can see low levels easy,.
and identify the notes easy too, without having to zoom in a count cycles and refer to tables to cross reference the freq to a note name.
I started off with a outstandingly good stock guitar and pre and ADC.,.
well anyway, the project becomes cluttered when things don't happen in near perfect timing so I position the single notes clips too, which means spitting them at zero crossings..
when snap to zero crossing works ,I can knock them out pretty fast,
when it doesn't work I have to zoom in on every note to the individual pulse, which is now 3 times smaller width at full zoom
when running at the same pulse rate compared to SONAR 853.
so, I shut down finally after many tries of this, that and the other thing,.
even reinstalled the 23,1,0,32 patch today.
same thing,. snap to zero crossings is not snapping to zero crossings.
I usually set it to one pulse rather then one tick or one measure,.
snap to one tick, by the way, does work,. snap to one pulse ,. it stopped working.
it was working. on the same track yesterday,.
and I haven't left the room or been on line at all until today after I finally gave up on snap to zero crossings,
I went on line to see if there was a new update,. there isn't,. I updated maybe two weeks ago,.
to access CAKEWALKS web address, I use a tethering usb cable hookup thru a tiny handheld radio teletype machine,New out of the box A few days ago,,the old machine would break the connection many times, corrupted downloads, often, 
and hurt my face to look at the display screen. some sort of radiation being emittered from the machine,.
so now, the new one is good, on a cellular network that only works if I pay enormous sums of U.S. Dollars every month,
and I don't like going on line but here I am. someday, when I'm sucksezfull, the few bucks wont mean diddly point squat point ship.
it does now tho, I'm trying to save up for a good quality vid camera for recording vid of these projects after I m in practice real good. before I'm too old, like over a 120 aged, hopeful it'll be during 2017. one item a time. A good quitar was my priority which I now have, and a good machine to run SONAR on was needed,.which I now have that too, so I'm good to go for the most part now if I just get snap to zero crossings working again,.,.it worked for maybe a hundred clips on the track then stopped working.
and it wont come back on,. I did some updates with Microsoft too and I'm not sure if that may have been the trouble as I haven't tried it since I updated Microsoft windows 10 today,. I'm about to go off line and retry,.i have to shut down and unplug and plug in hardware an then reboot. I shall return to check for a SONAR update later on,. thanks so much for everything all of you all did a great job bringing SONAR as far as it has come ,. a long long way.
Later
love,
Wayne

1 Reply Related Threads

wayne T.handzus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: Snap to Zero Crossings, intermittently stops working on X versions including plt 2017/02/27 03:54:12 (permalink)
    Wayne here,
    I'm back after using the same track again for a while I have found that the trouble is a per clip.
    what I mean is,. some clips snap to zero would work
    and others it would not,
    thing is, I've have had blue screens 
    often enuf blue screens occur,.
    it may be an issue with corrupted something,
    I have tried deleting the whole picture cache and recomputing pictures and that does not help
    there are times when simply exiting SONAR and reopening again causes snap to 0 crossings to work again,.
    sometime tho , I have not been able to make snap to 0 crossings come back ,
    thing is, I noticed last track,
    since I left this on the forum I remembered to check it
    and remember to type it in here next time I'm on line,.
    so here I am on line and
    on that track,
    the main clip beyond half way or so thru the track,
    snap to zero stopped working for whatever reason ,
    it may have been a blue screen, I'm not sure,.
    some clips were working and others not,
    so I had been running eq on single note sized clips and
    after I applied eq the resultant clip snap to zero worked
    so I went back and checked other clips
    and I found that they stopped working at a certain point in the project ,.
    to the left of that point was ok, as I was working from left to rite on the track ,.
    one note at a time,.
    when I went to the left a few notes it started working again,.
    but when I went back to the rite, to the main clip that had not been split yet,.
    that clip would not snap to zero crossings. 
    I gave up on it ,. it was talking too long and I wasn't making any progress,.
    and then continued to do what I was doing and I finished the track,.
    I had been splitting notes and fading them if needed,
    a sort of manual gate and quantizing
    and running eq on them if there was open strings sounding on the record along with the intended note,.
    takes a long time, but it sure is clean when done,.
    these are guitar recordings, electric guitar,.
    they are very clean , no noise as far as electric humm or anything
    and I can hear and see the wind blow across open strings as the converter goes down to 145 and the open strings with wind blowing are around 70 dB down from full scalae,.
    or about 75 dB above the bottom ,.
    loud when turned up with either digital or analog gain,.
    so anyway,
    when I noted it was a per clip issue, I figured
    it maybe a clip of the same size hiding underneath
    but if they were, there would have been a point where it would have snapped to a zero crossing point somewhere, I would think ,
    that wasn't the case tho,.
    so I don't know what causes it., 
    like I sed before, usually when this happens,
    I save the project and exit and reopen and snap to 0 crossings comes back,.
    tho with this latest version of plt  I have from jan of 2017,.
    when I open a project the snap to unit is changed and no longer lit up,
    as it was when I saved the project,.
    the version before, I think it was, used to save the snap to unit with the project,.
    that would be one pulse of pulse code modulation
    that snap to unit,.
    I have a lot more of this kind of editing to do too,

I specially like the quad curve eq fly out panel
    showing me what notes I need to filter ,
    Filter when there are open strings sounding at the same time as the intended note
    and dissonant with the other notes that are sounding at the time,.
    In some cases they are dissonant,
    in other cases they sound real good
    so i split them manually and do it that way,
    with headphones on and using the fly out panel of quad curve eq
    I place the eq in a bus and turn it up so I can see low volume on the scale of 18dB up 18dB down
    tho it takes way longer to do , ,
    it isn't much longer then placing markers and checking them one at a time then checking for isotope errors ,.
    then checking for automatic noise gate effect errors,.  that all takes a long time to do too,.
    so, , mostly SONAR has has been working real good most days,
    so I do not think it is another clip hiding underneath
    a clip of the same size, 
    that may cause a per clip issue to where snap to zero doesn't snap to the zero of the top shown clip,.
    this last update has a see thru top clip when they pverlap but I didnt download the latest help fileis that go with it yet,..very good 
    that's all and thanks again for a job well done,.
    Wayne

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1