USB Mic for Voiceover Work

Author
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
2017/02/21 15:13:23 (permalink)

USB Mic for Voiceover Work

I have a co-worker that does a lot or PowerPoint shows and frequently has to do voice-over work on them.  I had to do some myself for one of her recent decks, and I simply write my script and go into the studio and record with my microphone into my preamp and have a nice clean sounding recording to put into the PowerPoint deck.  She is jealous of the sound clarity I got and is looking for suggestions on how to improve what she is getting in the most cost-effective way.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on a USB mic solution that is $100 or less that would sound significantly better than a average cheap USB mic?  I'm talking entry level prosumer stuff, and the biggest expectation is something that will have lower noise and a bit more clarity for spoken word.  Her current mic is pretty noisy and doesn't have great fidelity.

Thanks!

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW

6 Replies Related Threads

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: USB Mic for Voiceover Work 2017/02/21 22:58:57 (permalink)
    Genghis
    So, does anyone have any suggestions on a USB mic solution that is $100 or less that would sound significantly better than a average cheap USB mic?  

I unfortunately don't have a recommendation that comes in at under $100,  (not sure you'll find one that sounds at all better than any other USB mic at that price point or even higher)... but what's she using now?
    I've had success running an SM58 into a SingStar unit using Audacity, gives very reasonably clear sound at a cost of maybe $115 altogether.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Genghis
    Re: USB Mic for Voiceover Work 2017/02/21 23:38:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for that info, that is something to consider.
    I asked her to let me know what she has now, but I think it's pretty cheap low-budget option, and not something very good.  I did a little looking and found a Blue Yeti USB that looks pretty decent for just over $100.  Seems to have pretty good ratings from what I've read and may do the trick. Has anyone used that mic?  The other advantage with all in one USB setup is that it might be simpler for her to setup and use.  I'm not located in the same state as she is and there wouldn't be anyone available to help her with setting up something with a mic into an interface.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: USB Mic for Voiceover Work 2017/02/21 23:44:08 (permalink)
    Genghis
    I'm not located in the same state as she is and there wouldn't be anyone available to help her with setting up something with a mic into an interface.

Depending on the software she's using, it'll end up being the exact same process regardless of what interface she uses (or whether she uses one at all) - I think the 'difficulty' of interfaces comes  when one is looking for better latency, a high level of portability, etc. But setting up a DAW or recording application (ESPECIALLY Audacity) to use a different mic has been, in my experience, pretty much the same thing every time, no matter if it was a little 2-input USB SingStar or my big firewire PS Firepod.

Alright, I'll get out of your hair and let someone more experience than me take a crack at it! :)

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: USB Mic for Voiceover Work 2017/02/22 10:25:09 (permalink)
    The USB mike is the audio interface. So it's a simple matter of finding a USB mike that has the best sound quality. Finding that is a simple matter of knowing how to search the internet for good, trusted reviews. 
    And some of them probably come with recording software too so watch for that. But Windows has a recorder built in. 

Another option is a Tascam or Zoom handy recorder. The sound quality for under $100 is top notch. 
    She can also take it to record meetings and whatnot so serves double duty. 

Ha ha funny they even sell them at Wal Mart..  I paid $79 CAn for the one I bough for a friend . 
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tascam-DR-05-Solid-State-Recorder/17765283  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: USB Mic for Voiceover Work 2017/02/23 12:29:16 (permalink)
    IMO, USB mics are crap.   
    If this is something that she'll be doing long-term;
    I'd suggest getting a RE-320 and a decent (inexpensive) audio interface.
    Less expensive than the RE-20... very similar sound (albiet with a mid presence boost)... with hotter output

My wife has worked in Radio for ~30 years (morning show on the local classic-rock station).
    Throughout their studios (three different stations) each mic is either a RE-20 or RE-320.
    The sound just works...

Though not within the stated $100 budget, if VOs are something she has to produce (assuming it's not temporary basis), it's less expensive to buy decent gear once.
    If she goes with a USB mic, it'll ultimately end up in the trash.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Genghis
    Re: USB Mic for Voiceover Work 2017/02/23 13:52:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim, good to consider, but way beyond budget.  She only needs to do these a few times a year, but the current mic is very noisy and has terrible fidelity. Really looking to keep it in the lower price range and get reasonable improvement.  If she was constantly doing these I'd definitely recommend a decent mic and interface, but we have cost considerations to balance with the number of presentations she is doing.

I am seeing some good reviews on that Blue Yeti USB, but still open to any suggestions on a pretty cheap interface and mic that would be better, based on Jim's notes above.

My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1