Helpful ReplyBass vst's

Author
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
2017/02/24 19:32:28 (permalink)

Bass vst's

This is kind of strange, but no matter which bass plugin I use some notes will not play.

I downloaded the trial version of Modobass. Really cool, but the same problem, it will not play certain notes. I just now downloaded a freebie called Ample Bass. Sounds pretty good and will play bass from tabs, such as Guitar Pro tabs. The app comes with quite a few sample tabs, but even with the provided tabs it will not play certain notes.

Example of that is, it will play open notes on the low E but will not play the fretted notes on say, the 5th or 7th fret D string. Doesn't matter if it is tabs, midi, standalone or in the DAW.

Why will the plugins not play these notes? I can see the dots in the proper place as the notes are played, just no sound.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
StuH
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/24 23:13:57 (permalink)
Funny you mention this as I recently purchased Modo , and did some work for a guy who used music notation through Sibelus to compose a bass line and he exported the notation in the form of a midi file and asked me to produce audio using the midi file.

In order for the full bass line to play correctly, I had to transpose all the midi notes up one octave.  So your issue may be as simple as a creating a midi map. (that means notation software might have a C note on the 2ND octave but Modo's midi mapping places the C note at first octave)

Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 Home
12.0 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 - 4770 @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
StuH
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/24 23:27:06 (permalink)
Another possibility is Modo Bass has two fretting styles , one plays based on first position fretting technique, and another uses a neck climbing style. If you read the manual you could toggle between these see if there is a difference.

Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 Home
12.0 GB RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
StuH
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 00:02:00 (permalink)
You mention seeing the dots but no sound. You are talking about the fretboard dots displayed in Modo Bass? Or do you mean tablature , notation dots?

Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 Home
12.0 GB RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 05:00:46 (permalink)
Could this be a latency issue, very low latency settings on your audio interface can cause dropped notes.

Do other VST instruments have similar issues?

Does the problem occur on both legato and staccato notes? On some instruments playing legato will trigger hammer on articulations. It should still sound though.

Are the demo versions limited in some way, often they will be limited in range, the number of articulations or will inject a burst of noise or a short silence.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 15:50:29 (permalink)
When I play the Ample Bass from my keyboard, I can hit every note from E1 (open E string) up to F4 (highest fret on G string).

The only issue I have run into with Bass plugins is when some of the MIDI notes in an imported pattern are in the octave below the instruments lowest note.

When I see this happening, it's time to open up the piano roll and fiddle around, or just transpose the whole pattern up one octave.

If this has already been ruled out, then I would either suspect latency issues, or maybe a need to bump up your MIDI playback buffers to 500 (from the default 250).  I have heard that this is a more common issue with dense drum tracks.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Bflat5
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 16:15:55 (permalink)
StuH and Glyn Barnes, Thanks for the replies. I only have the trial version of modo, I'm sure it's expired now, though and I'm not currently using it.

It doesn't matter which Bass VST I use, they ALL do the same thing, but I noticed last night using the same midi file that each VST will play it differently. The one included in Sonar, SI-Bass, will not play the open low E notes.

This doesn't happen with other instruments like Drums or piano, just bass and doesn't appear to be a latency issue.

The plugin I'm using now is called Ample Bass. It was just a freebie I grabbed from Reverb. It's not bad and sounds pretty good. The dots I referred to represent the string/note being played in this vst.

It's just odd. I noticed the keyboard at the bottom will play the open string to the 4rd fret.

And it doesn;t matter if it is the stand-alone app or in the DAW.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

BOSS FX (Mostly)
Bflat5
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 16:19:14 (permalink)
abacab
When I play the Ample Bass from my keyboard, I can hit every note from E1 (open E string) up to F4 (highest fret on G string).

The only issue I have run into with Bass plugins is when some of the MIDI notes in an imported pattern are in the octave below the instruments lowest note.

When I see this happening, it's time to open up the piano roll and fiddle around, or just transpose the whole pattern up one octave.

If this has already been ruled out, then I would either suspect latency issues, or maybe a need to bump up your MIDI playback buffers to 500 (from the default 250).  I have heard that this is a more common issue with dense drum tracks.

How do you transpose midi up an octave? You and StuH both mentioned this and I was thinking there is probably something in the midi causing it so this may be the problem.

BOSS FX (Mostly)
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 17:05:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Bflat5 2017/02/25 17:37:01
Bflat5

How do you transpose midi up an octave? You and StuH both mentioned this and I was thinking there is probably something in the midi causing it so this may be the problem.

If you double click on the MIDI clip it will open up the piano roll view.  That will show you where the notes are in relation to the keys on the keyboard at the left side.  Click the keys with the mouse and go all the way down until you can't make any more sound.  Are all the notes in the pattern above that key?  If not you can move them manually.

Or you can transpose the whole clip.  Highlight the clip (select) in track view, then go to menu Process > Transpose.  If you dial in +12 and hit OK, you will go up 12 semitones (one octave).

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Bflat5
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 17:37:28 (permalink)
abacab
Bflat5

If you double click on the MIDI clip it will open up the piano roll view.  That will show you where the notes are in relation to the keys on the keyboard at the left side.  Click the keys with the mouse and go all the way down until you can't make any more sound.  Are all the notes in the pattern above that key?  If not you can move them manually.

Or you can transpose the whole clip.  Highlight the clip (select) in track view, then go to menu Process > Transpose.  If you dial in +12 and hit OK, you will go up 12 semitones (one octave).

Thanks, I'll give that a try right now.

EDIT: Looks like that fixed it! Learned something new, too!  Thanks for the replies and help.

BOSS FX (Mostly)
StuH
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/25 22:12:08 (permalink)
If you are working with premade midi tracks as the primary source for triggering your bass vst, there is a way to have everything play in correct keys without manually editing the source.

Look for documentation on "drum map manager' and 'assigning a midi track to a drum map".
Eventhough "drum" is mentioned it will work with a bass vst. 
It basically will detect the the source midi notes and pass corrected notes on to the vst in real time.

Very useful stuff.

Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 Home
12.0 GB RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
StuH
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/26 00:03:57 (permalink)
Even though your issue is solved , I noticed you mentioned that this doesn't happen with drums.
Do a little experiment with Studio Drummer using the piano keys in the piano roll mentioned by Abacab. Make a note ofthe keys that trigger the different drum types. Then do the same with Addictive Drums 2.
You will find out that some of the drums being triggered are different for both programs.
That is why getting a handle on drum maps is so useful.
Sorry to harp like a seal but I'm OCD.

Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 Home
12.0 GB RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Bflat5
Re: Bass vst's 2017/02/26 18:57:49 (permalink)
StuH
Even though your issue is solved , I noticed you mentioned that this doesn't happen with drums.
Do a little experiment with Studio Drummer using the piano keys in the piano roll mentioned by Abacab. Make a note ofthe keys that trigger the different drum types. Then do the same with Addictive Drums 2.
You will find out that some of the drums being triggered are different for both programs.
That is why getting a handle on drum maps is so useful.
Sorry to harp like a seal but I'm OCD.

Thanks for the info, I'll do that. Midi has always been a thorn in my side for some reason, but I'm starting to learn more about it. 

BOSS FX (Mostly)
filtersweep
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Bass vst's 2017/03/05 02:16:01 (permalink)
If the Ample Bass you are using is the lite (free) version of one of the Ample Sound bass vsti's, then it definitely has a limited range. I was on their website recently and noticed that about the lite version. It is, of course, also a much smaller program sample-wise than the full version but the lite versions do sound really good on their demos. I have their AGG vsti, very impressed with their stuff.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1