Helpful ReplyMacros?

Author
LENovik
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2017/02/26 06:49:00 (permalink)

Macros?

I'm currently trying to learn a song where I play a synth lead on 1 track, and then immediately switch to a piano track. Currently, after finishing the synth lead at the beginning, I have to quickly grab my mouse and then highlight the piano track. Then later in the song, I have to repeat the process. Are there macro's in Sonar that would enable me to switch tracks like this? I realize there are program changes insertions I could make, but I do want to keep each track intact, since I am reading music notation on these tracks. 
Thanks.
LNovik
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Macros? 2017/02/26 07:10:56 (permalink)
Hi. Which version of SONAR do you have, and what kind of Controller / MIDI keyboard do you use?
I believe I can do this with my Akai MPK 25, with some setup and tweaking. Should be doable, I think.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/02/26 19:19:41 (permalink)
Thanks Zargg.
I have Sonar X3, and I have several MIDI keyboards--such as a Korg Kronos and a Yamaha Motif ES.
LNovik
Zargg
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 07:00:03 (permalink)
I am not an expert by any means.
They connected through a MIDI interface, I guess? 
Are they recognized in SONAR's Preferences (P), MIDI, Devices?
Have you tried to set any of them up as a Control Surface in Preferences (P), MIDI, Control Surfaces?
I would also check http://www.azslow.com/index.php 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/You-can-integrate-your-Control-Surface-with-SONAR-as-deep-as-you-want-m3125708.aspx

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 07:57:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/02/27 14:35:07
This may not work as I may not be totally understanding what you're trying to do but it makes things easier if not perfect.

1 - In Preferences\MIDI\Playback and Recording, tick "Always echo current MIDI track"
2 - Ensure that the VI tracks are set up as split MIDI/audio, not simple instrument tracks
3 - Put the MIDI tracks next to each other, and untick IM on both tracks
4 - Now, all you need to do is cursor up/down to toggle between which track is selected and hence which VI is playing back

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 09:30:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/02/27 09:41:23
why so complicated?

why not put both instrument tracks on different MIDI channels and have input echo active for both.

then either change MIDI channels on the keyboard (if it is quick) ... or split the keyboard and send on channel one in upper have, channel two in lower half ... or stack 2 keyboards, each sending on a different channel

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 10:21:35 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
why so complicated?

why not put both instrument tracks on different MIDI channels and have input echo active for both.

then either change MIDI channels on the keyboard (if it is quick) ... or split the keyboard and send on channel one in upper have, channel two in lower half ... or stack 2 keyboards, each sending on a different channel

If channel switching is quick or half range is sufficient for both instruments that is definitively the best approach.

Under some conditions "complicated" solution can be more convenient to use. After splitting (a bit "unusual" to play, especially 2 hands piano...) and keeping settings dialog in MIDI switching mode (it does not take long till I hit wrong button(s) during switching), I have ended with control surface approach for my Kawai and normally use the left or middle pedal for switching focused track with auto-echo. When I want more the 2 instruments, extra controller with dedicated buttons defined does the trick (I guess Motif has assignable in DAW buttons which can be used for that).

Depending from situation, "more is less" and "less is more"

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 12:35:04 (permalink)
Perhaps you could record the synth track.  Stop.  Then record the piano track?
This is multi-tracking software (among other things) after all...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 12:46:29 (permalink)
I'm guessing he's playing live. Ableton Live handles this pretty well with its instrument chain device. You can assign chain numbers or number ranges to every instrument in the rack and it will then play whenever the chain selector number (basically a knob you can map to a CC#) falls within the range.

Obviously Sonar is no Live (and vice versa), but just to give an idea how some DAWs handle this. Live also uses the "macro" terminology to indicate the 8 knobs that you can map for each instrument chain device, so I suppose that's where the OP got the idea. I don't think there's anything quite that elegant in Sonar. Maybe you can couple track selection to a screenset somehow? Other than that, if it's only two sounds, KPerry's solution seems pretty good.
Zargg
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 14:36:34 (permalink)
KPerry
This may not work as I may not be totally understanding what you're trying to do but it makes things easier if not perfect.

1 - In Preferences\MIDI\Playback and Recording, tick "Always echo current MIDI track"
2 - Ensure that the VI tracks are set up as split MIDI/audio, not simple instrument tracks
3 - Put the MIDI tracks next to each other, and untick IM on both tracks
4 - Now, all you need to do is cursor up/down to toggle between which track is selected and hence which VI is playing back

I must have skipped your reply 
This would be the easiest way in my mind.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/02/27 19:49:05 (permalink)
Wow, I certainly don't know enough to understand all that, though I do comprehend some of it and will work on it. Yes, this is for when playing live. If I can figure out what all that means, such as "always echo current MIDI  track," and "VI (virtual instrument)?" and "untick IM" on both tracks. I prob could figure all this out, but I would still have to use the mouse to cursor to the next track--which would be a little quicker than using the mouse to highlight that next track-but not ideal.
I just wondered if the act of switching from 1 track to another could be recorded somehow so that it could just be done automatically. One  moment I'm playing a lead synth, and a second later the piano track is automatically selected. Also, when I'm playing piano with both hands on my 73 key Kronos, I don't have enough extra room to assign the lead synth to.
Thanks for all your input.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I  could prob copy (clone) each of these 2 tracks to save for reference. I could then simply start on the track that has my synth lead. When it comes time for the piano to play, I could put in a program change command (at least I know how to do that.) I think that would prob work. THen, another program change when it comes time to play the lead synth tone again, etc. I'm just not sure if the music notation that I have streaming while I play would follow the new program change each time. Of course, I'll try it soon

LNovik
LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/03/11 12:51:50 (permalink)
Just checkin' in again. When I  tried to put in program changes in my track, the corresponding staff view did NOT follow the new track. This sound reasonable---though not what I had wished for--since changing to a new sound program in the track should not change the midi information. I could display the note notation for the 2 main tracks simultaneously, which is what I'll prob end up doing.
HOWEVER, this is still "running thru hoops." Thus, again, if anyone knows a way I can simply have Sonar record a few commands, such as changing from 1 track to another during a song, that would be nice. I would even be very appreciative if someone could relay that message to Cakewalk, so they could consider putting this feature in future upgrades. Thus, it would be a macro within Sonar, but not within a specific track. A macro macro, if you will.
Thanks for reading this.
LNovik
azslow3
Re: Macros? 2017/03/11 14:01:15 (permalink)
If the sequence of operations can be expressed as a (fixed!) sequence of keyboard operations, then external programs like AutoHotkey can do the trick.
If the sequence can not be expressed such way, then you need some even more advanced scripting solution.
Sonar has no own scripting language for interface operations (it has it for MIDI manipulation, CAL), at least not directly.

As Ken and I have already mentioned, you can use AZ Controller for that purpose. For example:
* Strip Track <First> +3, Function Select strip : will switch focus to Track 4
or
* Strip Track <Tracks> <Piano>, Function Select strip: will switch focus to Track with name "Piano" ("Tracks"/"Piano" predefined)

The problem is that what you do in Sonar, except assignable to computer keyboard "commands", has no absolute meaning and can have many interpretations. Just clicking of Track 4 named "Piano" can mean you want to focus:
* WAI track +2 (if WAI starts at Track 2)
* Always Track 4
* Track "Piano", which is currently Track 4
* Next track, if Track 3 was in focus before
* Previous track, if Track 5 was in focus before
* etc.
"Macro macro" recorder you propose will have to choose one "action" to record. But which?
And that operation is one of simplest.

That is why so called "Control surfaces" are operating with DAWs (any, not only Sonar) either throw "MIDI Learn" (one control - one fixed operation, for operations which are "fixed") or throw complicated scripts (f.e. in Ableton that are Python scripts, in Sonar C++ programs). They define complicated reaction logic based on what users normally want in particular situation (so, not just a "macro", but taking transport, layouts, modes, etc. into account).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/03/12 14:52:47 (permalink)
Hi,
Thanks for that reply, AZslow3. While I don’t understand it all, the gist, I believe, is that Macro programs are better at remembering keystrokes than random mouse clicking—such as when I highlight the number of a track different from the current one.
I guess you are saying that AutoHotKey is an external program I could purchase/download and work within Sonar to accomplish the task of remembering keystrokes. Correct?
How about AZ controller? Is that also an external program, or is it part of Sonar? Would that be as good as AutoHotKey?
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly—though perhaps you already touched on this in your last note and I just did not understand it---is there an alternate keyboard path to choosing different tracks within songs (rather than just mouse clicking the number of that track?) I have noted that when I use the “Up” arrow key, the track above the current track seems to be chosen. However, the number of the original track stays highlighted, and the music notation that I have enabled from the 1st track does not switch to the notation for that new track.
Hope that’s not too many questions.
Thanks again.
LNovik
bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Macros? 2017/03/12 15:03:47 (permalink)
No-mouse version: Echo-enable both tracks, set automation to mute track 2 while track1 should play, then mute track 1 and unmute track 2. Track three combines the two parts and is muted, but provides the score you wish to follow.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/03/12 21:37:54 (permalink)
thanks. that sounds fairly simple. Echo (on and off) is something I've managed to stay away from. However, I just read up on it, and will try it soon. I"m not sure where in your example the 3rd track, the one that combines the date of track 1 and 2, came from. I realize I need it so I can see the music notation for both tracks, and I realize it has to be muted the whole time. I guess you are telling me to create a midi track and combine tracks 1 and 2 into it. Instead of this=assuming this is what I would have to do==I  could simply highlight tracks 1 and 2 and then R click to get my notation view. The notation for each track would appear.
LNovik
azslow3
Re: Macros? 2017/03/12 21:50:20 (permalink)
LENovik
Hi,
Thanks for that reply, AZslow3. While I don’t understand it all, the gist, I believe, is that Macro programs are better at remembering keystrokes than random mouse clicking—such as when I highlight the number of a track different from the current one.

Yes, they are better with keyboard sequences. Some can click as well, but if the layout is changed it will miss correct point...

I guess you are saying that AutoHotKey is an external program I could purchase/download and work within Sonar to accomplish the task of remembering keystrokes. Correct?

I was mentioned it is an example for such external (general, not Sonar specific) program. There are many. This one you can Google, it is free and open source.

How about AZ controller? Is that also an external program, or is it part of Sonar? Would that be as good as AutoHotKey?

AZ Controller is third party (my) Sonar specific control surface plug-in. Free (not open source). It does not work with computer keyboard, only with MIDI devices (or OSC, or Gamepad/Joystick). Unlike external general macro programs, it operates in Sonar operations. Many usual Sonar keyboard bindings can be used, as well as sending (computer) keyboard keys and sequences. But it can does things directly, f.e already mentioned "Focus 'Piano' track".

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly—though perhaps you already touched on this in your last note and I just did not understand it---is there an alternate keyboard path to choosing different tracks within songs (rather than just mouse clicking the number of that track?) I have noted that when I use the “Up” arrow key, the track above the current track seems to be chosen.

Sonar support shortcuts (see preferences). Up/Down arrows are Previous/Next track.

However, the number of the original track stays highlighted, and the music notation that I have enabled from the 1st track does not switch to the notation for that new track.

That is a bit tricky Sonar philosophy. Sonar has "focused"/"current" strip (can be only one). But there are "selected" strips (can be several). They are decoupled, I mean focusing strip does not mean it is selected. But selecting strip also focus it. Selected strips are indicated by highlighting track numbers, focused strip is indicated by highlighted strip name. Selection for tracks coupled with the content selection in these strips.

"autoecho" follows "focus", while many operations, including staff view, follow "selection".

bvideo
No-mouse version: Echo-enable both tracks, set automation to mute track 2 while track1 should play, then mute track 1 and unmute track 2. Track three combines the two parts and is muted, but provides the score you wish to follow.

Yet another approach, good one! My 2 cents to it:
* to automate mute, do not forget switch to "automated mute".
* it is possible to "group" mute, so muting one track automatically unmute another. Good for interactive switching. When used with automated mute, do not forget to write the automation into both tracks (otherwise grouping will not work on automation playback).

craigr68
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Macros? 2017/03/13 15:34:38 (permalink)
I use Sonar to provide backing tracks so I can play live along with those tracks using Sonar.  I use a DX7IIFD (with E! expansion) from the 80s.  Each DX7 preset can be set to transmit on any of the 16 midi channels.  So I have it set so DX7 button 1 is chan 1, button 2 is chan 2, and so on.  Then I just set up my VIs in Sonar to match those channels to select various sounds.  In addition, I send program changes to the DX7 which does automatic sound switching so I don't have to push the DX7 buttons.  The sounds automatically switch as I play away.  That's simple to do - I just set up a midi track to send midi program changes out the midi interface to the DX7 Midi in (which in turn selects the sound I want - kind of a circular thing). 

You can do this with any standard Midi keyboard that doesn't have the special DX7 functionality I mention above - if you add Midiox and Loopbe1 to the setup.  I use a 2nd standard Midi keyboard that only transmits on one particular channel.  For that, I have Midiox do program change translations (signal flow below).  Midiox will also allow you to do splits, controller conversions, and much more.  It took me quite a while to figure out how to do this but it works fine if you dig in.  I set this up months ago, and as long as I have Midiox & Loopbe1 running in the background, I never worry about it.  Midiox and loopbe1 (limit 2 virtual ports) are free.

Midi Kybd (transmits prog changes on chan1) --> Midiox (recognizes prog change and selects a data map which I setup to convert midi data to desired midi channel) --> LoopBe1 (2 virtual midi ports) --> Sonar (set to receive virtual midi port which can be set as midi input to any track).

LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/03/15 14:11:40 (permalink)
I did try choosing "echo on" for the 2 tracks, but that did not make a difference. Getting a third party macro system did sound promising, but that would again involve learning another application--though I realize not that complicated. I like the idea of doing things with muting and seeing if I could record those moves using record automation, but my song does not seem to be transmitting the program changes--even though program change IS enabled on my Korg Kronos.
What I finally did was to use a Set list to display each of the 2 sounds I need to quickly access on this song. It is much quicker to press a box with my finger on my synth's LED display that it is to grasp the mouse and maneuver to the track and click it. I realize I could use the up arrow to go to the next track, though when I would have to go back to the lower track, I cannot use the down arrow since I've converted (as a hot key) that key as a pause control.
Thanks for all your feedback.
LNovik
craigr68
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Macros? 2017/03/15 14:43:25 (permalink)
I originally was hoping I could control Cakewalk VSTs directly with program changes but ultimately gave up.  A while ago, I did a test of all the VSTs and found only a couple respond to program changes - like TTS for instance - but not Rapture Pro or Zeta.  That's why I instead assign a VST track to a particular midi channel and control it externally with Midiox and LoopBe1 as described in my previous post.  Because that's the only way I could get it to work for live playing.  Since that works well, I'm ok with that now.  I'm just a little disappointed Cakewalk isn't more flexible with program changes.  I've come to the conclusion that live playing with midi program changes isn't Cakewalk's thing but I really like it otherwise.  

I also tried the mute method.  It's been a year ago or so.  There was something I didn't like about it but it did at least generally work.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Macros? 2017/03/15 15:03:11 (permalink)
This was mentioned above, but not sure of your situation. How difficult is it to change MIDI channel on your controller/keyboard?

Two tracks with echo on can be set to channel 1 and 2, then the channel output of the controller will tell which to play. Is this not viable for you?

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
LENovik
Re: Macros? 2017/03/15 17:33:16 (permalink)
When I get some time, I'll try these macro programs. Looks like it could be helpful, Craigr68. Thanks.
Re: the question by Mettelus: It's sort of responding to a question in another language, since I'm pretty deficient in music computer language. However, here is what I think I understand. My song has multiple tracks. During the song, I like to play a synth lead for some of the time, and piano for the rest of the time---alternating back and forth a couple of times. Though I have several hardware synths, both of the sounds in this song that I'm trying to play live are coming from the same (Kronos) synth. THus, the output of my synth is already set to the same output as both of these tracks--or, more specifically, I have set each of these 2 tracks to the output channel I always use on my synth. However, when I tried to click on 'echo on' on the track that wasn't highlighted at the moment (the highlighted track automatically has 'echo on' highlighted), this did not result in me being able to play the non-highlighted track from my synth (controller.)
Is that clear? Perhaps if I had highlighted both tracks using the control key as I clicked on each, this might have made them both responsive to my playing?

LNovik
azslow3
Re: Macros? 2017/03/15 18:47:44 (permalink)
Are both track use Kronos (hardware) synth? I guess there can be some misunderstanding. At least I have assumed that you use Kronos as a MIDI keyboard and have 2 Software Synth with 2 tracks.
So, what are exact Output settings for both MIDI tracks? And if both point to Kronos, how you expect Kronos recognize the change?
That is quite important: while MIDI tracks in Sonar have "Program" option, Sonar is only sending it when playback is started from the beginning. And there can be other explicit and implicit tricks, on Sonar and on Kronos side.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Macros? 2017/03/17 14:34:15 (permalink)
I am confused the same as azslow3 on your setup. The reason is this... *if* you are using the Kronos for both sounds (via external audio out), then the easiest method is to route the audio out from the Kronos to a single *audio* track. SONAR could care less what goes in, and all switching would be on the Kronos (no "mousing" required). Play patch one, switch patches, play patch two. NO MIDI is even recorded/required by SONAR for this (but also limits any editing, since no MIDI). You would want to save those patches as user patches so they are right next to each other on the bank listing.

Now, *if* you are using the Kronos as a MIDI controller (*only* sending MIDI (key note) data to SONAR), the best method is to set up two soft synths with both having MIDI input from the Kronos (MIDI only, no external audio in). Set one to MIDI channel 1 (or whatever), and the other to MIDI channel 2 (or whatever + 1). Manually input echo both tracks, then shift the MIDI channel out on the Kronos between "patches" and SONAR will shift which soft synth plays/records. Piano is fairly generic, and the lead can be something similar (and even edited to be final if desired).

For "real time" play, one of the two methods above would be simplest. Although there are methods to record MIDI and drive the Kronos with it, you will introduce latency, and cause routing issues that would take a bit more to explain. Also, the "switching" aspect would get complex *only if* you wanted to record the MIDI and the audio output. As it seems the audio output is highest priority, I would use the first method above. If you then get into a recording situation, overdubbing (recording one track at a time) would give you the best and simplest editing options.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1