Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates

Author
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2017/03/01 21:58:02 (permalink)

Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates

According to this, Microsoft will begin allowing users to postpone major Windows 10 updates indefinitely.

"According to ZDNet blogger Ed Bott, the new restart options will be baked into all editions of Windows 10, including the least expensive, tagged as simply "Windows 10," that target consumers. Bott also said that users will be able to repeatedly snooze the restart, effectively delaying an update installation indefinitely."

Article Link

5 Replies Related Threads

Maarkr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 488
    Re: Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates 2017/03/02 03:00:26 (permalink)
    unless it's changed, I read that it doesn't apply to Home version.  

Maarkr
    Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
    i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
    Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
    Markubl2
    Re: Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates 2017/03/02 03:04:55 (permalink)
    I'm sure no one will know for sure how it works, but the article here says that - 
    "the new restart options will be baked into all editions of Windows 10, including the least expensive, tagged as simply "Windows 10," that target consumers."
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates 2017/03/02 19:08:20 (permalink)
    According to this article, these new update options apply to all Windows 10 editions.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-prepares-to-roll-out-new-windows-update-controls/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Markubl2
    Re: Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates 2017/03/02 19:18:04 (permalink)
    Even still, I don't like these options.  "Snoozing" is fine for a bit, but at some point you will have to reboot your computer.  As I read it, the install will happen no matter what if you restart.

I'm an IT guy myself - I push newer updates within weeks of release to close to 800 computers.  I generally don't have problems.  However, I understand that folks use a DAW as a living, and being able to "snooze" like these articles suggest doesn't go far enough for me.
    Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2819
    Re: Microsoft To Allow Users To Indefinitely Postpone Updates 2017/03/03 06:38:31 (permalink)
    abacab
    According to this article, these new update options apply to all Windows 10 editions.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-prepares-to-roll-out-new-windows-update-controls/

overall, what MS is introducing here seems a lot more transparent/better than what is there at the moment ... 

The first option allows you to choose a servicing branch. The default is the Current Branch, which installs feature updates as soon as they're released by Microsoft. Choosing the Current Branch for Business option allows you to wait until Microsoft declares that update ready for business users. By policy, the Current Branch for Business is always at least four months after the Current Branch.

Note that this setting has the same effect as the Defer Feature Updates checkbox in Windows 10 version 1607, Pro/Enterprise/Education editions; it's just more clearly labeled. It's also the same as the Group Policy setting that has been available since version 1511: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Defer Windows Updates.

The second option allows you to delay installation of updates by a set number of days after their release to the selected branch. You can delay cumulative monthly quality updates by up to 30 days. This is a persistent setting, so you might choose to set updates to always be delayed by 10 days if you want to perform testing and monitor newsgroups before committing them in your organization.

A new Pause Updates switch in Settings allows you to put Windows Update on hold for up to 35 days. If you're traveling or working on a project where you can't afford unexpected downtime, this option should be a life-saver. Before you leave on your five-day business trip, hit the Pause button and set it to seven days. That allows you to travel with assurance that you won't be interrupted by an update at an awkward time.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
      +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
    Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
    VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1