Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12

Author
Trankonia
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 134
2017/03/11 17:34:25 (permalink)

Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12

Hello all,

Does any one have an idea why Midi input would just stop working with Sonar? I have checked all the input mappings etc. and opened previous working projects and no Midi input works. Of course I verified that midi is sent from my keyboard controller via MidiOx and also I can play any stand-alone instrument without issue. 

Playback of recorded Midi works fine and drives any of the instruments attached to any of the tracks.

On a different note: Apparently, I no longer have support as I did not renew since response time for issues was extremely delayed and they seemed to drop the Life Time Plan that they said they were extending until 12/31/16 (never heard another word about it in months) Also, the frequency of updates dropped dramatically as well so I began questioning the value.

Thanks in advance!

Trankonia

11 Replies Related Threads

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/11 18:00:17 (permalink)
    Were the projects created on a different PC? Try reassigning your MIDI input ports in the project and it should work. Also set the track to MIDI omni. There is no known issue in the december update with this.
    The Feb update has some significant improvements for MIDI port persistence that makes port handling in SONAR much more robust esp when you add and remove devices or move a project across different PC's.

As far as lifetime updates they were indeed available right up to Dec 31. We sent several email reminders that it was going to end. And the update frequency has been exactly the same as since we started, one every month. Im not sure why you think it decreased.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Trankonia
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/11 18:19:26 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply. the only other thing that changed is that I cloned my system drive to an SSD. I have tried re-assigning the ports numerous times without any luck. Unfortunately, I am now unable to use Sonar since it no longer recognizes the midi inputs. I create new projects, add an instrument and no midi input is captured or directed to the instrument. I have used Cakewalk products since 2003 so I certainly know how to map midi inputs. 

as far as the updates, perhaps I was somehow not getting notifications anymore. I certainly did not see anything about the lifetime updates or new monthly updates in many months.
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/11 18:49:41 (permalink)
    You should be able to go into command center and download any update for all of last year. (right click on SONAR Platinum and you can rollback to any month). Your annual membership ended in Jan so you should see 12 months of updates in Command center or by logging into your account on the website.

If MIDI input not working on a new MIDI track in the project it seems like a routing issue. Try creating a simple MIDI, track arm it and try recording. You may want to contact support and they can help you troubleshoot it. 

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    bbach
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/11 21:36:06 (permalink)
    I had a problem like that a few months ago after an update. Turned out I had not clicked on the midi echo in the channel strip. It's unlikely that you're as dumb as I am, but you never know.
    Trankonia
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 16:56:28 (permalink)
    BBach,  Thanks for the suggestion but none of my projects work anymore in Sonar. They will only playback internal synths and new projects do not work either. I had already thought of the echo but to no avail. Also, there is no way that all my projects would have had the tracks echo turned off. 

This is driving me crazy as I have zero issue with any other Midi application working correctly with my midi controllers. 
    Trankonia
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 17:05:28 (permalink)
    You should be able to go into command center and download any update for all of last year. (right click on SONAR Platinum and you can rollback to any month). Your annual membership ended in Jan so you should see 12 months of updates in Command center or by logging into your account on the website.

If MIDI input not working on a new MIDI track in the project it seems like a routing issue. Try creating a simple MIDI, track arm it and try recording. You may want to contact support and they can help you troubleshoot it. 

I am VERY frustrated about the expiration of the lifetime support. I find it extremely interesting that I did not get ANY emails from Cakewalk concerning this or any updates since September. I checked all my email history and the last email concerning this was 9/2/2016. I have however, received unrelated emails about some support issues I had posted.

Now I am in a situation where Sonar is useless to me as it cannot record MIDI. None of my old projects work, and any new project fails as well. All other midi applications I have still work perfectly fine with my Midi controller. I cannot issue a support request for broken software without paying 199.00 for a year of support.  You suggest contacting support yet there is no vehicle for that unless I have a membership. Your web site does not allow to schedule or submit a request.

After 14 years of using Cakewalks's products I truly question why.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 18:01:41 (permalink)
    Trankonia

I am VERY frustrated about the expiration of the lifetime support. I find it extremely interesting that I did not get ANY emails from Cakewalk concerning this or any updates since September. I checked all my email history and the last email concerning this was 9/2/2016. I have however, received unrelated emails about some support issues I had posted.

Now I am in a situation where Sonar is useless to me as it cannot record MIDI. None of my old projects work, and any new project fails as well. All other midi applications I have still work perfectly fine with my Midi controller. I cannot issue a support request for broken software without paying 199.00 for a year of support.  You suggest contacting support yet there is no vehicle for that unless I have a membership. Your web site does not allow to schedule or submit a request.

After 14 years of using Cakewalks's products I truly question why.

Have you tried rolling back to the previous update that it worked on ?
    As far as the lifetime updates, it was announced in June, then they extended it for another 3 months. Which sent many users in to a frenzy thinking it was a limited time offer. So Cakewalk gave users a break for situations just like this. So you cant really blame Cakewalk on that one (for not receiving emails about it). A visit to the site once every 3-4 months is all that was needed.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 18:10:44 (permalink)
    Rolling back may work. If it is a config issue, rolling back would probably not make a difference (although it is a quick and easy thing to check out). Renaming the ini files in the user directory might work. A full re-personalization does a little more than renaming ini files.
    Trankonia
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 18:39:25 (permalink)
    Snook,
    Thanks,  I did restore back to September release and that did do the trick. I have not had a chance to try reloading or stepping back up through the 10, 11, and 12. If it pops up again then it may be an install issue. Just to double-check, I believe the releases are cumulative, correct? I skipped the 10 and 11 release.
    If all works instead the config file or other got corrupted.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 18:43:15 (permalink)
     yes, updates are cumulative
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Midi input stopped with last update of Sonar Platinum 22.12 2017/03/23 19:04:14 (permalink)
    I see a cool new name in the works "Snook".
    I love it.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1