Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon

Author
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
2017/03/13 17:06:29 (permalink)

Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon

This information is covered in the link in the Stickeys expressed as simplified pricing. But for the many owners of previous versions some of whom do not read all the Stickeys, it is worth noting that if you plan to wait and buy a new version of SONAR expecting a big discount as has been the custom with Cakewalk that is not going to be an option for long. For example any owner of Cakewalk Producer can currently get Platinum for about $200.00. After May 1  they will have to pay full price, whatever that is in the future. Currently it is about $500.00.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3574019

14 Replies Related Threads

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/13 17:16:48 (permalink)
    also, you need to add it to your basket to see your discount (even if you are logged in)

just a sec

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/13 17:24:19 (permalink)
    It's worth noting that the "big discount" in the past was for upgrading from the previous version, and the discount quickly reduced for older version upgrades.

With the introduction of continuous updates the "previous version" is now several years old and would normally not be eligible for such a large discount.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/13 17:36:13 (permalink)
    According to their blog there will still be upgrade discounts: http://blog.cakewalk.com/cakewalk-announces-simpler-sonar-prices/.
     But perhaps not just to get the newest version of the same "level" (old platinum to new platinum).

"Upgrading SONAR to a more advanced edition

Starting May 1, 2017, if you want to upgrade your copy of SONAR to a more advanced edition, you simply pay the difference in the current price.
    If you own SONAR Home Studio, upgrade to SONAR Artist, Professional or Platinum for $49.99 off the regular price.
    If you own SONAR Artist, upgrade to SONAR Professional or Platinum for $99.99 off the regular price.
    If you own SONAR Professional, upgrade to SONAR Platinum for $199.99 off the regular price.
    We will no longer offer discounts for any other editions of SONAR or from other Cakewalk products."

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/13 18:09:28 (permalink)
    Yes, the term upgrade is ambiguous, and the term previous version, is still mucked up if people are thinking in terms of "continuous upgrades to the current version." What is clear is that anything older than X3 as a version name will not qualify for an upgrade at a discount to the purchase of the now current version of SONAR. 

What you are seeing is a discount offered move up to a more expensive version name of SONAR (the current version).  Presumably, this payment will unlock and download all of the features of the then current version that you will then be able to use in perpetuity if you have completed the full purchase. For monthly payers, it is not clear that a $49.00 payment at month 10 of your monthly SONAR Artist membership to convert to Home Studio will be as valuable to you as the same payment at month 2 of the membership, and if you never complete the 12 month rent to own minimum, you could end up paying a lot for a short period of access to increased features. In other words, lacking more clarification, you may pay more for less the longer you wait to upgrade during your monthly payment plan as the upgrade to a more expensive version will not be prorated or charged as 1/12 of the $49.00 per month upgrade price in the Artist to Home Studio example. 

It does seem clear from the rest of the policy, that the upgrade to a more expensive version during a current membership will entitle you to renew the membership to the higher priced version, but the price you pay will will apparently be the "no more than 50%" of the then current price for that more expensive version. It is not absolutely clear what the downgrade pricing would be if you wanted to renew a Platinum membership with an Artist membership for example, although it looks like that might still be charged at the less than 50% price of a new Artist ownership.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/13 21:39:57 (permalink)
    I could be wrong but (a few months ago) we were all asking ourselves how will cakewalk survive if it is giving away lifetime upgrades. Well it appears they have a marketing strategy in place to move them forward. Its nice to see them taking a course (navigating wise) and planning for the future.
    We all want cakewalk to be around for years to come.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/13 23:34:19 (permalink)
    Sonar is like a lot of Software where you need to pay attention and watch for deals. 
    Don't complain if you wait to long and miss the boat. 
    I almost didn't take the bait for lifetime thinking I don't really need anything more, but I think all of us will be smug when we look back at that deal when we hit the fall of 2019 and we still haven't had to reach for our credit cards. 
    But just wait and see, they will hit us up for fancy add on's, say things like Drum Replacer will be extra $$. down the road. I think they made this clear to us when they gave us the lowdown on lifetime. 
    Our Lifetime updates will be mostly bug fixes and small changes but that's still a bargain. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 01:20:10 (permalink)
    BRB, getting popcorn.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 01:27:08 (permalink)
    This is JMO. I too read it as "before X1" will get no discount on an upgrade (IOW there isn't one).

With no disrespect to those still on 8.5 or earlier I would say they are no longer a loyal cakewalk customer. Loyal being the operative word here. 

As we are wont to do here, let me use an auto analogy.

My 2005 Honda does not qualify me (IMO) as loyal Honda customer if that is the only Honda I own. I am a past customer, but my 2005 does not get me any discount if I went to the dealer and bought a 2017 vehicle (of course I might choose to trade in or sell the 2005 on the street, but that does not apply to the Cakewalk product model, i.e. software).

Again, JMO as to how I read it. I'm not saying I'm right.

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 02:06:22 (permalink)
    Cactus Music

Our Lifetime updates will be mostly bug fixes and small changes but that's still a bargain. 

If the lifetime always keeps me compatible with the latest Windows version, I will consider it a win!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 02:09:49 (permalink)
    bapu

This is JMO. I too read it as "before X1" will get no discount on an upgrade (IOW there isn't one).

The way I read it, this applies to all Sonar X versions, not just X1.  If you don't have a current Platinum, Professional, Artist, or Home Studio after May 1, sorry ...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    MuzDog77
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 06:04:11 (permalink)
    I've been a sonar user since Sonar Home studio 4XL.  I loved my upgrade to HS 6XL and used that for a longggg time. Then moved up thru the ranks to Sonar 8, X1, X3 and finally Platinum  I went for the lifetime updates as this seemed like an impressive offer which I felt would not last forever.  
          I have been reluctant to actually do the "updates" since I got mine at the start of the sale, as I felt like there was so much I didn't understand about  navigating the new DAW. I have as of a few days done the updates and know that it will probable take me years to fully grasp every feature available in the daw and recent updates.  I do feel like I got a heck of a deal inspite of what I don't understand yet.
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 11:34:14 (permalink)
    abacab
    bapu

The way I read it, this applies to all Sonar X versions, not just X1.  If you don't have a current Platinum, Professional, Artist, or Home Studio after May 1, sorry ...

Agreed. Given that it states no versions outside of the current series (Platinum, Professional etc) of Sonar will qualify for discounts I can't see how you could come to any other conclusion. Then again, of late Cakewalk are not renowned for the clarity of their announcements:) 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    WallyG
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 16:21:56 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    I could be wrong but (a few months ago) we were all asking ourselves how will cakewalk survive if it is giving away lifetime upgrades. Well it appears they have a marketing strategy in place to move them forward. Its nice to see them taking a course (navigating wise) and planning for the future.
    We all want cakewalk to be around for years to come.

I agree! Plucking down the $99 for lifetime updates was one of my better decisions!

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
    jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Upgrade Pricing for Owners of Previous Versions Ending Soon 2017/03/14 16:52:41 (permalink)
    bapu

With no disrespect to those still on 8.5 or earlier I would say they are no longer a loyal cakewalk customer. Loyal being the operative word here. 

As we are wont to do here, let me use an auto analogy.

My 2005 Honda does not qualify me (IMO) as loyal Honda customer if that is the only Honda I own. I am a past customer, but my 2005 does not get me any discount if I went to the dealer and bought a 2017 vehicle (of course I might choose to trade in or sell the 2005 on the street, but that does not apply to the Cakewalk product model, i.e. software).

Again, JMO as to how I read it. I'm not saying I'm right.

Ed, no disrespect but I don't believe your analogy applies in this case. Software is a disposable product.  If nothing else software needs updates to adapt to evolving operating systems and hardware platforms. 

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1