separate instruments on Dimension Pro?

Author
garyed
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 208
2017/03/13 20:37:57 (permalink)

separate instruments on Dimension Pro?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to use dimension pro so I can get more than one instrument out of it. Am I correct in thinking that E1 thru E4 should be able to have separate instruments assigned that can be used independently by midi channels 1 thru 4?
I using X1 producer that I bought when it first came out & I'm just now getting back into recording music again so whatever little I knew before, I've totally forgotten & I'm starting from square one. Any help appreciated.  

Gary,

When you appreciate what you have,
you have a lot more.

14 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/13 20:59:38 (permalink)
    I have never used the multitimbral mode in DPro or Rapture other than to make sure the option works. Here is how it is done.

Insert DPro as an instrument track or MIDI/Audio.
    Enable the multitimbral mode in the DPro options dialog

Change the Channel on the instrument/MIDI track to one of the first 4 channels
    Add three more MIDI tracks assigning change the MIDI channel assignment as needed.

garyed
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/13 21:28:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply,
    I did that but the problem I'm having is every time I assign an instrument to E2 it overwrites the instrument in E1 so they both end up being the same instrument.  I think I'm confusing the program with the instrument. When i click on the dialogue box above E1 thru E4 all the instruments come up but when i click on the dialogue box below E1 thru E4 then my file manager pops up. I think if I could change it there it might work but I don't know how to find the instruments from there.     

Gary,

you have a lot more.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/13 21:36:21 (permalink)
    The box above the Elements calls the program browser. Loading a program sets all 4 elements. You need to load each element individually. This may be done by right clicking on each element and using the context menu to load an element file or click the Multisample entry just below the element buttons to load a sample or sfz file.
    garyed
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/13 23:06:29 (permalink)
    Ok thanks,
    Now I've got four midi channels separated with different instruments on DimPro. The thing now that I don't understand is I'm getting very weaker samples this way than when I get the sample clicking the program dialogue box. For instance if I click the program dialogue box & choose strings/1st and 2nd Violins then  E1 will have a 33.6 mb .sfz sample for ist violin & E2 will have a 41.1 mb .sfz sample for 2nd violin.  But if I choose strings through the dialogue box on the bottom then I'll end up with a 4.6 mb .flac sample for 1st violin etc... 

Gary,

you have a lot more.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/13 23:46:21 (permalink)
    Using Strings/1st and 2nd Violins Espressivo f (mw=attack) as an example.
    This program uses 2 elements.
    The first element loads 15 String/1st Violins Espressivo f.sfz
    The second element loads 15 String/2nd Violins Espressivo f.sfz

Those sfz files contain references to many flac files.

But you may notice when loading sfz files or individual flac files the other element settings from the program are not set up. In order to load complete elements from one program into another, you will first need to save the elements using the "Save Element As" option in the Element context menu.

For example, to combine Strings/1st and 2nd Violins Espressivo f (mw=attack) with Strings/Basses Espressivo f (mw=attack)
    • Load program Strings/Basses Espressivo f (mw=attack)
    • Right-click E1 and "Save Element As" this element
    • Load program Strings/1st and 2nd Violins Espressivo f (mw=attack)
    • Right-click E3 and "Load Element" with the one just saved

Don't forget to save the new program with "Save Program As" using the button to the right of the Browser entry.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 00:31:51 (permalink)
    It's probably easier to just insert 4 instances of Dimension, each with their own MIDI channel 1-4, and then use the program browser to assign the sounds you want to each.

There are multi-timbral samplers you could use, but that's an entirely different topic. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    garyed
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 00:50:00 (permalink)
    I think i understand now but I didn't realize it was that involved with soft synths. I'm more used to using external synths so I'll just have to get used to this type of setup. I do remember it took me a while to work with gigastudio years ago but I never did much with it.   

Gary,

you have a lot more.
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 01:30:03 (permalink)
    Depends on the synth. I suspect few use the multitimbral option in DPro and Rapture but that was not the question.
    abacab
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 01:54:04 (permalink)
    garyed
    I think i understand now but I didn't realize it was that involved with soft synths. I'm more used to using external synths so I'll just have to get used to this type of setup. I do remember it took me a while to work with gigastudio years ago but I never did much with it.   

Yup, years ago I worked with Roland, Korg, and Alesis external hardware synths.  The multi-timbral mode was usually accessed as a multi, performance, or combi mode, which allowed a MIDI channel to be assigned to each of the 8 or 16 programs in the multi-timbral mode.  This allowed assignment of full programs to each slot, not just oscillators.

There are modern soft synth samplers available that can do the virtual equivalent of this, but most of them are not cheap!

If you are looking for an inexpensive, quality, 4-part soft synth rompler solution to get started with, I can recommend this for $1.
    https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/virtual-instruments/air-xpand2

garyed
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 14:03:16 (permalink)
    abacab
    garyed

Yup, years ago I worked with Roland, Korg, and Alesis external hardware synths.  The multi-timbral mode was usually accessed as a multi, performance, or combi mode, which allowed a MIDI channel to be assigned to each of the 8 or 16 programs in the multi-timbral mode.  This allowed assignment of full programs to each slot, not just oscillators.

There are modern soft synth samplers available that can do the virtual equivalent of this, but most of them are not cheap!

If you are looking for an inexpensive, quality, 4-part soft synth rompler solution to get started with, I can recommend this for $1.

Can I use any vst samples with it or do I have to use theirs?

Gary,

you have a lot more.
    abacab
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 15:15:05 (permalink)
    garyed
    abacab

Can I use any vst samples with it or do I have to use theirs?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "vst samples", but assuming you mean some form of wav samples, the answer is no.

A rompler is a term applied to a hardware synth that plays back the samples stored in ROM (read only memory).

A virtual soft synth rompler, such as AIR Xpand!2, has the same limitations. It only plays back the factory content.

Some samplers make it easy for 3rd party sound designers to create sound libraries, such as Native Instruments Kontakt.  This is probably the most popular and widely supported multitimbral sampler.  You can import your own samples as well.  https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/loading-samples-into-kontakt-5.310788/

The Cakewalk Dimension Pro sampler uses the sfz file format to define multisamples using wav or flac samples.  http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cakewalk-dimension-pro 

A freeware sample player using the sfz format that you can also use with those samples is Plogue Sforzando.  It can only play one instrument at a time (one element), but will play the Dimension samples.  It's like Dropzone on steroids!  https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

A nice freeware multitimbral sampler that you can record or load your own waves into is TX16Wx. This will record or import wav files, and uses a graphic UI to program the presets, key ranges, velocity layers, etc.  Built in wave and loop editor.
    http://www.tx16wx.com/

The bottom line is that most samplers will import wav files, but their preset libraries can be proprietary and difficult to exchange or translate.

garyed
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 21:45:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info,
    That's exactly what I meant & you answered mt question. 

Gary,

you have a lot more.
    abacab
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/14 22:13:13 (permalink)
    garyed
    Thanks for the info,
    That's exactly what I meant & you answered mt question. 

Great, glad to hear you got it sorted out!

I would add that if you can afford it, you probably wouldn't regret getting Kontakt for $399.

But for a bit less money, (and no 3rd party sample libraries) you could consider the AIR Structure 2 sampler.  I picked up the bundle described below on sale, with no regrets!  All quality stuff, that was until recently a part of the Avid Pro Tools exclusive instrument bundle.

If you add it to your cart, it is on sale here for $125.99, but if you buy AIR Xpand!2 for $1, you can get the Structure 2 sampler included with a whole big bundle of other instruments for an upgrade price of only $74.95 
    https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/air-instrument-expansion-pack-3-complete-upgrade

Structure 2 is a multi-timbral sampler plugin with a huge sample library. Over 37 gigabytes of samples are on board and a large variety of instruments are included: piano, drums, strings, guitar, bass, and much more.

It can use up to 32 auxiliary outputs, has its own sample editor, and can handle up to 24-bit/192 kHz audio. Some of Structure 2’s built-in effects include reverbs, delays, EQ, distortions, and various types of modulation.
    http://soundbytesmag.net/structure2byairmusic/

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: separate instruments on Dimension Pro? 2017/03/15 15:15:02 (permalink)
    Or wait until the summer sale to by Kontakt for $200.  Or next Christmas.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1