Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2017/03/17 15:50:32 (permalink)

Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix

This looks kinda interesting:

Core Production Bundle
Hear different presentations of your audio, including core frequencies most sensitive to the ear.  Get the sound you want faster, and shape bass that sounds remarkable on every system.

Reveal

Reveal is used to hear problems in the studio before they are heard on consumer listening systems.  The top row is used to listen to core frequencies the human ear finds most sensitive. 

LowLeveler

Low Leveler allows the user to balance bass instruments inside and outside of the core.  Set bass levels with more precision than ever, whether your studio is perfectly accurate or not.

AFMonitor

AfMonitor tracks the time you spend listening to help avoid ear fatigue and the flawed decisions that come from it.  

All part of the Soundways "Production Bundle" which is $249. Might be a useful tool to help identify potential problems in the mix that could reveal themselves in different listening scenarios etc, especially if your listening environment isn't the best. On the other hand, it could be bunkum. Might be worth checking out the 14-day trial if you're in the market for this sort of thing. 

http://soundways.com/products

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/17 16:18:28 (permalink)
sharke
This looks kinda interesting:

Core Production Bundle
Hear different presentations of your audio, including core frequencies most sensitive to the ear.  Get the sound you want faster, and shape bass that sounds remarkable on every system.

Reveal

Reveal is used to hear problems in the studio before they are heard on consumer listening systems.  The top row is used to listen to core frequencies the human ear finds most sensitive. 

LowLeveler

Low Leveler allows the user to balance bass instruments inside and outside of the core.  Set bass levels with more precision than ever, whether your studio is perfectly accurate or not.

AFMonitor

AfMonitor tracks the time you spend listening to help avoid ear fatigue and the flawed decisions that come from it.  

All part of the Soundways "Production Bundle" which is $249. Might be a useful tool to help identify potential problems in the mix that could reveal themselves in different listening scenarios etc, especially if your listening environment isn't the best. On the other hand, it could be bunkum. Might be worth checking out the 14-day trial if you're in the market for this sort of thing. 

http://soundways.com/products

Have you tried it? Going on vacation, but will try it out when I get back.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/17 19:20:38 (permalink)
Interesting indeed.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
sharke
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/17 20:16:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/03/17 20:29:09
WallyG

Walt

I'm not going to try it because regardless of how useful it is, I'm not in a position to spend another $250 on plugins at the moment. But I wouldn't mind hearing others' experiences of it because if it's a useful mixing tool then there may come a time in the future when my plugin fund is solvent again. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Fleer
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/17 20:34:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/03/17 22:04:14
Oops, didn't see the $250.
No. 
Way.

WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/17 23:12:28 (permalink)
sharke
WallyG

Walt

I'm not going to try it because regardless of how useful it is, I'm not in a position to spend another $250 on plugins at the moment. But I wouldn't mind hearing others' experiences of it because if it's a useful mixing tool then there may come a time in the future when my plugin fund is solvent again. 

When I get back, I'll try the 14 day demo and report if it's a MUST HAVE or zzzzzzz.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/18 00:28:26 (permalink)
Look interesting. I'm going to demo it.
If it is something useful, maybe they will have a sale on it.

UPDATE: Demoed and not useful to me.
I was disappointed by how little the plugs do for the big price.

post edited by mikedocy - 2017/03/18 04:32:58
sharke
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/03/18 04:44:27 (permalink)
mikedocy
Look interesting. I'm going to demo it.
If it is something useful, maybe they will have a sale on it.

UPDATE: Demoed and not useful to me.
I was disappointed by how little the plugs do for the big price.

Yeah I did wonder if it was just a big hype job. They're pushing it heavily on social media. 

James
greenfly
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/04/03 08:59:10 (permalink)
Basically its a set of plugs that help you produce by the elimination of most bass frequencies from your production process and then use the bass leveler to set the bass so it fits in the mix.  The bass (low) leveler is split into two bands.  The upper one is used to ensure that your bass is heard on speaker systems that don't really have much bass popping through like iphones and lower one is for systems that have a decent bass response.

I have not heard about this workflow before and I have never seen professionals discussing it on youtube but I have to say it works, even though it sounds like a very simple process.

Would I pay $249 for the plugs.  I don't think I would because anybody who  has an eq that can frequency match with what this plugin does can get the required eq shapes to put on the master if they wish to use the core production workflow method.

I see this product as somewhere between a product called Levels and Izotopes Neutron and the price imho needs to be pitched somehere between $49 - $129.  
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/04/03 14:05:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/05/29 10:54:51
I'd pay $49 for the Novelty of it.
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/04/03 15:56:09 (permalink)
bapu
I'd pay $49 for the Novelty of it.

Agree, 49 or less.
The whole concept of separating the highs and lows to better understand your mix is not a bad idea, especially for beginners or late-session fatigued-ears.
As greenfly says, we can do it our-self with a matching EQ. The Soundways just makes it a little easier to access and provides some simple graphics.

Fleer
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/04/03 18:12:34 (permalink)
Less

greenfly
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/04/03 19:41:54 (permalink)
It wont be sold nowhere near $49 and they have already got some kind of partnership with Avid.  They will target the product towards 'professionals' lol.  As I said before, you can get the main critical listening effect through an EQ curve and all the rest of the bells and whistles are really just there to make the product do more than it actually does. 

I don't know that much about sonarworks, but for those of you who have it, I'm guessing that you will probably get the same critical listening effect by switching the NS10 type emulation on in the plugin.

post edited by greenfly - 2017/04/03 22:31:34
dlesaux
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1034
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/04/05 16:24:05 (permalink)
I too was immediately turned off by the price tag. Interesting concept though. The owners / founders look real young! Good for them! I wish them well..!

Peace!
Daniel

Sonar Platinum - 2017.10 and PreSonus Studio One 3.5.5
Windows 10 64 bit
Studiocat Skylake Desktop PC with Intel i7 6700k processor @ 4.20 GHz / 16G RAM 
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface and Cakewalk UM-2G Midi Interface

Check out my website
justuseaneq
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/05/29 01:40:53 (permalink)
Hi everyone. I've done some analysis and all this plugin does is put a simple filter over your audio. I've attached the curves as revealed by VST analyzer. The Low Leveler plugin is just an EQ. I have attached curves of the first setting ("organic"), but I couldn't be bothered to screenshot the other ones, but they are also just EQs of different shapes (setting 2 "flat" uses flat shelving filters at the extremes of the spectrum, and setting 3 "accurate" uses narrower peaking filters than setting one, and at slightly different points in the spectrum).
Using Q-Clone, each setting except "distortion listening" nulled. Each setting nulled to complete silence except "FM radio" and "vehicle," which nulled most of the way, but not quite. There is possibly some compression or mid/sides stuff happening on those settings. "Distortion listening messes" with the mid and sides so can't be replicated with a simple EQ, but it's easy enough to get something similar by boosting the highs of the side channels. Q-Clone produced the same curves as VST analyzer, so they are accurate.

I have saved each Q-Clone setting as a preset, and created a rack in Ableton that does exactly the same thing as the Reveal plugin, for about $30 (and let's be real, most people already have Q-Clone from whichever Waves bundle they own.)

I have posted this only because Soundways is taking the mickey with their pricing. I appreciate that research went into finding out which curve worked best for each role, and that having everything in a simple GUI is very convenient, but asking $250 for a simple filtering plugin beggars belief. Had they charged $20-$30 (like Toneboosters, for instance) I would have bought it and would never even have bothered to figure out what the plugin was actually doing, because the curves *are* very useful and it *is* a good idea to check your mix using something like this and the GUI *is* nice and pretty. But asking $250 for this is incredibly exploitative. Plugin companies have grown way too greedy and many show a complete lack of respect for their customer bass (think UA charging out the ass for the "voice of god" aka a simple resonant high pass filter *which doesn't even feature any added harmonic distortion*).

You all can decide if $250 is worth it to you, but Q-Clone is on sale for $29 right now...

Here are the curves. The forum is not letting me link to the album, but remove the spaces: h t t p : / / i m g u r . c o m / a / M X T u C
justuseaneq
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/05/29 02:01:03 (permalink)
I cannot attach a link to this post, so until a moderator lets me you'll have to trust me or else do the tests I did :-)

Hi everyone. I've done some analysis and all this plugin does is put a simple filter over your audio. I've attached the curves as revealed by VST analyzer. The Low Leveler plugin is just an EQ. I have attached curves of the first setting ("organic"), but I couldn't be bothered to screenshot the other ones, but they are also just EQs of different shapes (setting 2 "flat" uses flat shelving filters at the extremes of the spectrum, and setting 3 "accurate" uses narrower peaking filters than setting one, and at slightly different points in the spectrum).

Using Q-Clone, each setting except "distortion listening" nulled. Each setting nulled to complete silence except "FM radio" and "vehicle," which nulled most of the way, but not quite. There is possibly some compression or mid/sides stuff happening on those settings. "Distortion listening" messes with the mid and sides so can't be replicated with a simple EQ, but it's easy enough to get something similar by boosting the highs of the side channels. Q-Clone produced the same curves as VST analyzer, so they are accurate.

I have saved each Q-Clone setting as a preset, and created a rack in Ableton that does exactly the same thing as the Reveal plugin, for about $30 (and let's be real, most people already have Q-Clone from whichever Waves bundle they own.)

I have posted this only because Soundways is taking the mickey with their pricing. I appreciate that research went into finding out which curve worked best for each role, and that having everything in a simple GUI is very convenient, but asking $250 for a simple filtering plugin beggars belief. Had they charged $20-$30 (like Toneboosters, for instance) I would have bought it and would never even have bothered to figure out what the plugin was actually doing, because the curves *are* very useful and it *is* a good idea to check your mix using something like this and the GUI *is* nice and pretty. But asking $250 for this is incredibly exploitative. Plugin companies have grown way too greedy and many show a complete lack of respect for their customer base (think UA charging out the ass for the "voice of god" aka a simple resonant high pass filter *which doesn't even feature any added harmonic distortion*).

You all can decide if $250 is worth it to you, but Q-Clone is on sale for $29 right now...
Fleer
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/05/29 02:37:07 (permalink)
You need more posts, then you can add links.

msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: Reveal - a new tool to analyze your mix 2017/05/29 03:51:15 (permalink)
There is an interview with Soundways in this month's Tape-Op magazine:
http://tapeop.com/interviews/btg/119/issues-lords-listening-soundways/

It's an interesting read, but doesn't exactly make me want to try their products.

-Matt

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1