Ready To Mix

Author
guitarwiz1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 47
2017/03/17 18:04:33 (permalink)

Ready To Mix

I finally have my second project recorded and am ready to start mixing.
I've been finding all kinds of helpful information, but nothing to answer my question. 

At what point should I be bouncing my clips, and when should I convert my mono tracks to stereo?

I'm starting to get a good taste for my first ever D.A.W... I didn't know I needed a degree in audio engineering to use it though.

3 Replies Related Threads

reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Ready To Mix 2017/03/17 20:35:32 (permalink)
    I don't know if there is a time you "should" bounce your clips but I like to bounce them once they are edited and mostly ready to just sit there and be mixed. If you have soft-synths or midi data I like to bounce/freeze/record that onto audio tracks before mixing so I am not always adjusting the midi for any little things i hear.

As far as converting mono tracks to stereo never do that.  If I have a mono guitar track i just leave it as mono. Most of the time if I apply processing to it that will result in a stereo signal but I don't usually convert my mono tracks to stereo. I just apply effects as needed and pan them in the stereo field as needed.

You probably don't need an audio engineering or mixing degree to use your DAW but it wouldn't hurt to have one to be able to use it well.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Ready To Mix 2017/03/17 20:41:52 (permalink)
    I bounce my clips constantly, because i'm afraid I'll miss one if drag/dropping, or i'll accidentally slide it off it's position.  But other than that, there's no real justification for doing it (that i know of).

As for converting mono to stereo, there's no point.  You'll just have twice as much data bogging down your system with no benefit.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    guitarwiz1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re: Ready To Mix 2017/03/17 21:01:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips.

I just got so much "food for thought" right now my brain is in overload. I'm sure with time and the more accustomed to the program I get...the easier things will be.

Thanks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1