Audioquest Dragonfly or similar DAC

Author
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
2017/03/18 16:59:49 (permalink)

Audioquest Dragonfly or similar DAC

Anyone using Audioquest Dragonfly or similar DAC for headphones and (pre-)amp purposes? Please share your thoughts.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)

2 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Audioquest Dragonfly or similar DAC 2017/03/18 23:35:28 (permalink)
    Never used anything Audioquest.

But I will say this.

A company that tells you that their mains leads, which cost thousands, will in some way 'purify' mains electricity and reduce the distortion in your hi-fi, or their equally expensive USB cables somehow prevent ones and zeros from becoming "distorted" in some way that's unknown to science is guilty of, let's call it "magical thinking".

Personally I'd take any of their claims about their products with a huge pinch of salt. Which is why I've never used anything Audioquest. Well, that and not having thousands to spend on a few metres of silver mains cable.

On the other hand, a simple USB DAC should be within the competence of most digital audio companies, the only question being how different, if any, it is to the computer's on-board chip (there are very few convertor chips, and the main difference between the most expensive and cheaper interfaces is the quality of the supporting analogue circuits and construction quality).

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Fleer
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8715
    Re: Audioquest Dragonfly or similar DAC 2017/03/21 02:29:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for your thoughts, Tim.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1