New song. Help needed to tame cymbals

Author
optimus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2017/03/20 04:21:02 (permalink)

New song. Help needed to tame cymbals

I've posted this song because I would like some help on taming the cymbals which have bled into the drum mics during recording. I have tried using the Sonitus Multiband compressor, which has helped, but it also affects the tonality of the snare.
Is there a better way to reduce the wash of those damned cymbals short of re-recording the drums.
Also, anything else you can suggest for this mix would be appreciated.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wal-pawlik/fast

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch

12 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/20 04:42:31 (permalink)
    I'm no expert but when I used to record the drummer in our band I used two condenser mics over the cymbals, a SM58 beta on the snare and an AKG kick drum mic.

Bleed was unavoidable, across all mics but I only ever used straight EQ to selectively filter out "unwanted" frequencies from the resulting tracks. I would never have considered using a multi band compressor.

Cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/20 14:30:45 (permalink)
    First a question about how you recorded the drums are they multi miked?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/20 14:53:01 (permalink)
    how annoying - I've been there myself with a live recording, so I didn't have any choice but to go in and surgically eq everything. 
    If your drummer doesn't have an issue with it, you could try drum replacer - find snare sounds that match what you/he were looking for and replace......
    daryl1968
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/20 14:55:40 (permalink)
    oh, and good song (and performances) by the way

Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/20 16:44:00 (permalink)
    Yeah, really need to know how you're miking and recording.  

The remedy for overwhelming cymbal wash in my set up came from close mic'ing all the drums, trying to keep the mic's 90 degree adjacent to cymbals as much as possible, using 2 condenser overheads above and on-axis with cymbals, adding finesse to cymbal hits, and then EQ'ing those overheads for high frequency focus.  After adding a gate and compressor to each drum mic track, it seems to be just enough to allow the high frequency cymbal hits to come through, dancing on top of everything, but cut back where it should be in the mix.   

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/20 23:03:47 (permalink)
    I don't think that the cymbals are the problem.  I agree with Daryl, that the drum replacer in Splat might be the answer for you.  Mic bleed isn't always bad, in fact, used creatively, it can add realism to the drums.  Overall, the song is good as well as the performances.  I think you may be closer than you think.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    optimus
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/21 00:11:06 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    First a question about how you recorded the drums are they multi miked?

I had set up kick, snare, hihat, small tom, floor tom and a single overhead. Ended up not using the toms because of too much spill from everything and just mixed in a hair of overhead.

Synkrotron, Daryl, Lynn, I tried to eq, but the cymbals bled into everything which is why I tried the Sonitus multiband compressor, which has had some effect, and thanks for the vote on the song. It was written by our guitar player who's feeling a little nostalgia. Thinks he's getting old. I haven't tried drum replacement, so I guess I will need to read up on it.

Voda La Void, yes, I think that better mic placement may be the answer in future recordings.

Thanks for your comments
    Cheers
    Wal

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/21 03:53:51 (permalink)
    If you turn the key and slide it into third, aren't you going to lug away in hurks and jerks, eventually ruining your transmission?  :)   If the neighbors are watching, you'll be embarrassed. First, second, then third. Check the owner's manual.

I would totally not worry about those cymbals, do what you can. I would also pick an eq, get it on those drum tracks as a low pass filter, and cut away. But as you said you already tried that.

My point is, it's a great song with great performances (+1 for the nostalgia) and your cymbals are mixed far down enough so they aren't going to hurt anyone as they are.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    optimus
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/21 07:23:58 (permalink)
    emeraldsoul
    If you turn the key and slide it into third, aren't you going to lug away in hurks and jerks, eventually ruining your transmission?  :)   If the neighbors are watching, you'll be embarrassed. First, second, then third. Check the owner's manual.

Ha Ha, Tom, if you listen carefully it is actually, "slid her into first". Just artistic license and poor diction by the singer.

Thanks for listening and the vote for the song. Appreciate it as I'm actually in awe of you guys that have respond to my post. I have long admired your collective works.

I don't often respond to other people's post as I often don't feel qualified, but I lurk a lot and listen.

Cheers
    Wal

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/21 08:08:43 (permalink)
    optimus
    as I often don't feel qualified

That's me in a nutshell... I still respond though, even if it's just to say something terrible like "nice."

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/21 11:07:56 (permalink)
    When I mix drums, I often take time to split the clips around every drum hit and mute the clip between hits. Then, I select all the clips and add a fade in and a fade out. Now, the bleed comes up and disappears in a second.

It can be worth a try.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    daryl1968
    Re: New song. Help needed to tame cymbals 2017/03/21 11:33:00 (permalink)
    Another thought. Drag and drop the snare track into a midi track so melodyne turns the hits into midi notes. Then use snare samples to replace......
    All the tools are there within Sonar.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1