Middleages - Instrumental WIP

Author
SoundRegion
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2017/03/21 16:53:05 (permalink)

Middleages - Instrumental WIP

Ever since I was a teenager I wanted to create these long complex instrumentals and I feel that I have the equipment and skill to do so now. Plan is to make an album called "Ages" with 3 parts, Middleages, Renesance and spaceage. So far I'm about half way with "Middleages" witch in turn has 7 parts, all inspired by periods in the middleages. My goal of 20 min for this part probably won't happen, as I'm done with 4 parts and just over 7 minutes.
I would like to get some feedback on what I've done so far, if anyone is into this kind of music:

Update:

End version
https://open.spotify.com/...4Shl9I0wkl9w7EDdyK3wid

Middle Ages
We start our journey at a market in the important viking trading post of Hedeby, before taking a journey with Svend over the atlantic to conquer new land on the british isles. Fast forward to the "Kingless" time where Denmark had no king and the land was pawned off to the counts of Holstein, ending with the assasination of the hated count Gerhard.Valdmar is elected king and starts his quest to repurchase and reconquer his kingdom. Next theme belongs to his daughter Marhethe and the start of her destiny to unite the nordic countries. The piece ends with the signing of the union of Kalmar.
Renaissance
After 125 years of union differences culminate at the Stockholm bloodbath. Gustav Eriksson travels through the snow in northern Dalarna to gain support for an uprising against the danish king, ending with the final confrontation. At the same time the church officially adobts the teachings of Martin Luther and enjoys the new freedom from the Pope in Rome.
Space Age
A fully synthetic piece for the modern age with a distict 90's feel to it.

Feedback appreciated. Also the bad.

post edited by SoundRegion - 2018/03/09 14:40:47

Steen
------------------
Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
Soundcloud  Bandcamp

21 Replies Related Threads

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/21 17:46:14 (permalink)
    You have a great feeling for musical space and how to weave  different layers together.  You might want to try to change up the velocities on the top line (or maybe omit notes occasionally) The downbeat/melody, metric fidelity is a little overwhelming.switching it up now and then might help..  It's a really compelling piece.  Hope you get some traction with it! :D:D

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

EyjolfurG
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/21 18:29:45 (permalink)
    Very nice.

Eyjolfur G.
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/22 04:21:45 (permalink)
    Hi Steen
    I like the concept of your project. It would be cool to come up with some theme that runs through the different ages, maybe the same melody played with typical instruments of that period. Something like that.
    I really liked that first section with the flute (?) that starts at 0:13.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/22 11:25:26 (permalink)
    Very nice indeed Steen

Reminds me of Mike Oldfield in places...

I'd certainly be interested to see how this develops.

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/22 14:52:14 (permalink)
    Sounds like a very ambitious undertaking that you've described, Steen.  I enjoyed this particular piece.  Had sort of a Celtic feel to it.
    SoundRegion
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/22 17:16:51 (permalink)
    eph221
    You have a great feeling for musical space and how to weave  different layers together.  You might want to try to change up the velocities on the top line (or maybe omit notes occasionally) The downbeat/melody, metric fidelity is a little overwhelming.switching it up now and then might help..  It's a really compelling piece.  Hope you get some traction with it! :D:D

I'm embarrased to admit I'm not completely sure what you mean. Maybe it's a language thing. but thanks for listening.

EyjolfurG
    Very nice.

Thanks a lot.

bjornpdx
    Hi Steen
    I like the concept of your project. It would be cool to come up with some theme that runs through the different ages, maybe the same melody played with typical instruments of that period. Something like that.
    I really liked that first section with the flute (?) that starts at 0:13.

Yeah, I really like repeted themes myself. I might do that some more. The first section is called "Hedeby" and is the oldest peice. The others are fairly new. Thanks for your input.

synkrotron
    Very nice indeed Steen

Reminds me of Mike Oldfield in places...

I'd certainly be interested to see how this develops.

cheers

andy

Best compliment you can give. I am very influenced by Mike's instrumentals and wish there were more music like that. I also wish I just ad half his talent.

Steen
    ------------------
    Sonar Professional - Akai EIE pro - AKG K240 - AKG C5 - Behringer XM-2000 - Hagström Ultra Swede - Evolution MK-149 - Musima Resonata - Komplete 10 - Mackie CR4 BT
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    SoundRegion
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/22 17:21:11 (permalink)
    philz
    Sounds like a very ambitious undertaking that you've described, Steen.  I enjoyed this particular piece.  Had sort of a Celtic feel to it.

Yeah, I know. Thanks a lot for listening.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    cwestmont
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/22 19:11:33 (permalink)
    Hi Steen, I like the tune.  Letting it unfold naturally is a key strength.  Sounds like an ambitious project you are undertaking!

My music:
    Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
    Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
    "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
    Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/23 22:26:46 (permalink)
    Ditto to the above - sounds like a cool concept!

I liked the piece, I think one of the better ones I've heard from you.  For me, anyway.   It has a nice slightly dreamy vibe, the mix is clear, and the lead tones + melody gives it that medieval thing.    That short break section in the middle was neat and I liked how it led to the piano section.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

kakku
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1646
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/24 15:08:50 (permalink)
    Very good:) It was well orchestrated and I liked the melodies

Sonar X1 Studio, Duo-capture and Steinberg's UR22 mk2 interfaces, super fast (read snail like) dual core computers, Arturia the Player 25 and Goldstar midi keyboards, Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phone
    kakku
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/25 14:40:26 (permalink)
    Steen - I like this!  really nice work.  agree with others the concept is huge!

I would like to have heard a little more compression overall on the track, the dynamics were a little too much of a jump, just in my opinion.  I'm not a fan of overly compressed "brick" songs, but  I think this one could use a little more than you have.

nice guitar at 6:31!

good stuff!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/25 17:19:08 (permalink)
    Definitely getting an Oldfield vibe from this, very nice work so far. Good luck with the whole project!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    SoundRegion
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/26 09:30:01 (permalink)
    cwestmont
    Hi Steen, I like the tune.  Letting it unfold naturally is a key strength.  Sounds like an ambitious project you are undertaking!

Thanks a lot for your input.

stevec
    Ditto to the above - sounds like a cool concept!

I liked the piece, I think one of the better ones I've heard from you.  For me, anyway.   It has a nice slightly dreamy vibe, the mix is clear, and the lead tones + melody gives it that medieval thing.    That short break section in the middle was neat and I liked how it led to the piano section.

Thanks for your comments Steve. It really means a lot in the motivation department.

kakku
    Very good:) It was well orchestrated and I liked the melodies

Thank a lot for listening.

jamesg1213
    Definitely getting an Oldfield vibe from this, very nice work so far. Good luck with the whole project!

Good to hear. Thanks for your input.

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/29 13:05:54 (permalink)
    I am just catching up listening to songs on this forum and I have been looking forward to hearing this. I think you are on to something!

The changes of mood and pace come at the right times, maybe a bit more energy in the percussion in some sections would help.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/29 21:20:30 (permalink)
    my brother

I love the concept, the ambition, and the effort
    go get it
    I can't wait to hear the whole piece in it's entirety.

this particular piece is what I would cal highlands music

Do you plan to add vocals, I am hearing vocals in my mind, vocals too flesh some of the parts out

the bass is right there

yes, you are on to something here, keep your wits, and get back soon with the next installment.

Jesse Q. Screed

MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/03/30 01:40:27 (permalink)
    You are one talented guy - this is really good.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

SoundRegion
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/04/08 05:31:27 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    I am just catching up listening to songs on this forum and I have been looking forward to hearing this. I think you are on to something!

The changes of mood and pace come at the right times, maybe a bit more energy in the percussion in some sections would help.

Thanks for listening. I hear you on the percussion. I'm gion to do the full structure first and then fine tune at the end.

Jesse Screed
    my brother

I love the concept, the ambition, and the effort
    go get it
    I can't wait to hear the whole piece in it's entirety.

this particular piece is what I would cal highlands music

Do you plan to add vocals, I am hearing vocals in my mind, vocals too flesh some of the parts out

the bass is right there

yes, you are on to something here, keep your wits, and get back soon with the next installment.

Jesse Q. Screed

Do you mean vocals with lyrics ? If so then no, but I should have some choir here and there. Thanks for your input
    MarkusClinus
    You are one talented guy - this is really good.

Thanks, but I'm not sure. I've listening to old albums and found something that was a little to close to mine. Been a bit bummed out about that for a while. Maybe I'm just good at copying ?

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/04/08 13:43:23 (permalink)
    In the style of Mike Oldfield, builds as it tells a story.  Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/04/08 14:26:54 (permalink)
    Full speed ahead with this project! Great idea and based on this it will be pretty epic. You clearly have a musical ideas factory in your brain - awesome! Mix-wise, I'd vote for the percussion to be just a little lower in volume, or perhaps switch up the tone occasionally, as that one bass note (that sounds like a kick drum to me) gets kind of samey. Not sure what you can do there, but I look forward to hearing more.

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    SoundRegion
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2017/04/29 16:10:16 (permalink)
    Structure finished. Still needs some polishing and I need to improve my guitar playing.

https://soundcloud.com/so...n/middleages-1/s-Xrdj3

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    SoundRegion
    Re: Middleages - Instrumental WIP 2018/03/09 06:06:40 (permalink)
    Just in case anybody wonders how this went:

https://open.spotify.com/...4Shl9I0wkl9w7EDdyK3wid

Steen
    ------------------
    Soundcloud  Bandcamp
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1