Helpful ReplyFix Drum Timing

Author
johndavidross
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2017/03/21 17:47:53 (permalink)

Fix Drum Timing

Is there a way to fix a drummers kick and snare to snap to the bar? He isn't far off but it's enough to annoy me. I've used drum replacer before but I don't want to replace because the kit sounds so good. I've been manually moving stuff but it's taking me a long time.

Thanks!
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 18:04:30 (permalink)
Quantize might work if it's not too far off.

For me though, i'd go through and do it all by hand.  It takes forever, but you know it's right.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 18:05:21 (permalink)
Audio Snap or Melodyne work very well, if you have them.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 18:22:22 (permalink)
Audiosnap here as well. turn the offending track/s in to an audio snap clip - grab the transients and snap them in to place.
If its only a few this (in my opinion anyway) is the best way. if its a slew of them you need to set up all your tracks and get method going (creating groups).
Some people here on the forum specialize in this so I will leave it to them to give you a more detailed explanation but like I said, if its only few, Audiosnap is the way to go.

*Note: I even had luck splitting clips and moving them without using Autosnap. I stay away from stretching using algorithms as much as possible unless totally needed. because its just one more artifact to deal with. Try splitting the clip on each side and using the nudge feature to line them up.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 19:05:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Slugbaby 2017/03/21 20:33:30
When recording a real band there is no real reason to lock to the grid. That's what makes it real. Sure way out is bad, but if it's close and all the other instruments are following then why worry. 
So you have to question yourself why you are wanting to lock to the grid in the first place.
Only time it matters for me is if I'm planning to overdub midi data which will be quantizied. 

For me the kick needs to lock to the bass if nothing else. So I put those 2 tracks side by side and make sure they match. 

If it needs to lock to the grid then now with drum replacer I only do the kick. Sampled kicks are generally better anyways. 
But agreed, if you have a great recording of the rest of the kit then it get a little tricky. 
A multi track drum recording will have leakage so just fixing one track might mean fixing them all together.  
So I'll fix the kick and leave the rest alone. If the tracks where that bad they should have been re recorded. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 19:46:15 (permalink)
If there are cymbals in there and straight up cutting is not an option AudioSnap may be your best option. If you enable it on all drum clips at the same time you can double click on a marker (e.g. a kick) and it will select the same marker on the other tracks (overheads, namely) allowing you to move them together.

EDIT :
Start here.
https://www.cakewalk.com/...help=AudioSnap.01.html
johndavidross
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 19:51:38 (permalink)
Cactus Music
When recording a real band there is no real reason to lock to the grid. That's what makes it real. Sure way out is bad, but if it's close and all the other instruments are following then why worry. 
So you have to question yourself why you are wanting to lock to the grid in the first place.
Only time it matters for me is if I'm planning to overdub midi data which will be quantizied. 

For me the kick needs to lock to the bass if nothing else. So I put those 2 tracks side by side and make sure they match. 

If it needs to lock to the grid then now with drum replacer I only do the kick. Sampled kicks are generally better anyways. 
But agreed, if you have a great recording of the rest of the kit then it get a little tricky. 
A multi track drum recording will have leakage so just fixing one track might mean fixing them all together.  
So I'll fix the kick and leave the rest alone. If the tracks where that bad they should have been re recorded. 

I'm thinking that re recording is the best way to do it. I just hate losing these takes because they sound incredible. The main reason I need to lock to grid is because of midi. Midi is perfect and I need the drummer to be perfect as well. :) Tall task!

I thought quantize and audio snap were just for replacing drums with midi versions?

I should add that I'm very new to Sonar and very very new to fixing drum timing.
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 19:58:51 (permalink)
I like audiosnap for this as well. Go to the track's edit filter dropdown menu and select audio transients. The transients will show up. Using the smart tool you can drag the bottom half of a transient marker to move a drum hit. This will follow your snap to grid setting if it is enabled.
If you double click the clip the audiosnap palette will open ( in Platinum ). There are some great SWA videos on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUzUwK8ExC0&list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj&index=37
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxtIFAjH1js&list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj&index=38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL2n5zowZd4&list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj&index=39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6lVqgk6dlI&list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj&index=40

These are Sonar X2 videos but most of the information applies to Platinum.

Rocky

Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 20:15:17 (permalink)
Nothing can compare with the accuracy of slicing the beats and manually moving them in place, then fading them back together. Tools like Audio Snap can assist you in this. Audio Snap can do a lot of the chopping for you. Then you can quantize those slices to the grid, then you can automate the "fading back together".

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Sijel
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 487
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 20:15:17 (permalink)
I have used Melodyne on just the kick & snare to generate a tempo map.  Then I used Audiosnap / manual moves of the other instruments.
My issue with that is the Overheads and Rooms are out of phase (hence, they get muted).
I've then used Addictive Drums (based on a Melodyne MIDI convert) to add back extra components - including its room & OH's. 
Not ideal and certainly a lot of work.
Next time I'll get a more expensive drummer (than me) LOL

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 20:35:02 (permalink)
johndavidross

I'm thinking that re recording is the best way to do it. I just hate losing these takes because they sound incredible. The main reason I need to lock to grid is because of midi. Midi is perfect and I need the drummer to be perfect as well. :) Tall task!

Here's a thought - Keep the great drums as they are, and build a MIDI tempo map to match the drums?

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Base 57
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 249
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 21:16:56 (permalink)
What Slugbaby said.
Use "Set Measure Beat at Now" to put the grid where the drums are instead of moving the drums.
bluzdog
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/21 22:46:19 (permalink)
I agree with Slug and Base, if it sounds good and you would like the hits to line up with the time line adjust the tempo map instead of  messing with the audio. If you need to move hits I agree with Sylvan, Chopping up the clips instead of time stretching sounds better. Whatever you do to close mics needs to be done with the overheads as well otherwise you will be messing with timing/phase. Here's what I do if I have to quantize drums:

It’s important that all the edits and cuts happen at the exact same place on each of the multi-tracked drum tracks to maintain phase coherency.
Make sure they all have the same transient markers. It’s better to chop them up and move the slices around.
Disable the transient markers on the overheads (right click select all -> right click over a marker and disable). Work with the close mic sounds as the source for establishing transients.
Select all the drum tracks. Right click on any track, choose merge and lock markers. Little yellow locks will show up on the clips. All the transient markers from all the drum tracks are copied to each drum track. All the drums share identical transient markers.
The next step is to unlock the clips. Switch back to clip view on all the drum tracks (control + shift + click and select clip). Right click in the background select clip lock and uncheck lock position.
 Switch back to audio transient view. The yellow locks should be off.
Call up the Audiosnap palette and select split beats to clips. Now that the clips are split you can use the quantize process. Process -> Quantize -> select a note value (1/8th) under resolution and audio clip start times under change. Leave auto Xfade times and fill gap checked ( 20ms and 80ms). Click OK.

Rocky
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/22 07:33:27 (permalink)
Cool, I prefer that to my previous workflow, thanks!
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/22 11:42:13 (permalink)
overheads bleed and phase issues are always a concern, however in my travels, I have found when slicing / moving kicks, snares or toms slightly.. Once the kick, snare or toms is gated and compressed, you will never even hear the minimal difference through the overheads. But , that's slight movements.
With all this being said, your probably better off lining the grid up to the drummers performance

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

joeb1cannoli
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/22 19:52:11 (permalink)
If you wanted to invest in the upgrade to Melodyne 4 Editor....
I record 12 tracks of live drums with Sonar, Import them into the stand alone version of Melodyne.
It detects tempo better than anything that I've personally tried
From there, you can change to a constant tempo.
I've never experienced any phasing issues
I've actually been able to adjust tempo by several BPM without it being noticeable

Then, open a new Sonar project, set it to the proper tempo from Melodyne and import the files.
All your drums are in time and in line with the grid.

http://soundcloud.com/joe-b-10
Windows 10 Pro x64, 6 core, Core i7 , 16GB ram
Sonar Platinum , Komplete 8, Ozone 8  
Presonus Studio 192 and DP88 ,uad-2 solo
bluzdog
Re: Fix Drum Timing 2017/03/22 20:02:44 (permalink)
joeb1cannoli
If you wanted to invest in the upgrade to Melodyne 4 Editor....
I record 12 tracks of live drums with Sonar, Import them into the stand alone version of Melodyne.
It detects tempo better than anything that I've personally tried
From there, you can change to a constant tempo.
I've never experienced any phasing issues
I've actually been able to adjust tempo by several BPM without it being noticeable

Then, open a new Sonar project, set it to the proper tempo from Melodyne and import the files.
All your drums are in time and in line with the grid.

Awesome, I need to take this for a spin. Thanks

Rocky

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1