Helpful Replyquestion about understanding compression

Author
peter47
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2017/03/21 15:49:12 (permalink)

question about understanding compression

hi guys and girls,
Compression i have struggled with for years to try and understand and now matter how many tutorials and advice i find i always dont quite seem the point of compression...of course there is one other wise it would not be used, i only ever hear after compression is used on a track that the volume is louder..but compression has many functions..i want to ask is it possible that i can not hear what compression does due to the fact i am tone deaf?..meaning i can hear of course tones and appreciate music but i could not tell you for the life of me the difference between a A or G...any thoughts on this guys?
regards Peter
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/21 16:24:49 (permalink)
The human ear can track things more easily if they do not fade in and out. Because of this, when a signal is not front and center (I.e. buried in the mix), compressing it allows volume to be lowered more before the listener loses it.

I.e. softer sounds are aided by compression in this way.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/21 18:59:22 (permalink)
You're probably not sure what to listen for.
Compression is commonly used to control / alter a track or mix's dynamic range so that quieter sections are louder and louder sections are quieter.

For example even if the mix is at a steady volume a vocal track may have trouble staying on top of a mix in some sections and be too loud in others due to the singer's breathe control, energy levels and changing mic position (moving in & out).
By using compression you can even out the dynamics of the track making the performance sound more consistant.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/21 19:02:52 (permalink)
peter47
...is it possible that i can not hear what compression does due to the fact i am tone deaf?

No. It's just very difficult to hear something that's not there. Add a flanger or distortion and the difference is easy to discern, but when you employ an effect that removes something it's hard to know what to listen for. A/B listening is therefore necessary to hear what's not there after compression.

I'd suggest starting with extreme settings on a percussive source such as a ride cymbal or snare drum, and fiddling with attack times to gradually tune your ear to what's happening. You should be able to clearly hear the difference between a 0.5ms attack and a 5ms attack, for example, as the initial hits are suppressed or let through.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/21 23:02:52 (permalink)
Check this thread out:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/When-do-you-use-Release-on-a-compressor-m3563936.aspx

I have done a good explanation on how to set them up. But yes I agree they can certainly be one of the more subtle effects for sure.

What is interesting though is once you put a VU meter over a track (especially one that has got nice ballistics e.g. either a real one or a meter like the Klanghem) the moment you insert a compressor the VU changes its movement big time. It may not be so audible but it is certainly visible. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/22 08:01:02 (permalink)
Strummed guitar, especially acoustic, is also excellent material to hear (and see in the waveform) what compression does.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
peter47
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/22 08:20:33 (permalink)
thanks for the feedback..this is a great community for help and reading these reply's has givin me more insight then years of looking at youtube..
ps. i am trying to build a profile and avatar so bear with me...regards Peter

sonar platinum, quad core 8 gig acer, washburn bass, epiphone gibson and sg guitar, roland rs-70 keys, ibanez acoustic, behringer c1 mic, roland vm-3100 pro mixer...and more plug-ins then a power station
peter47
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/22 08:31:53 (permalink)
pps, i have uploaded a profile pic of my self in jpg 235kb in size but it is not showing???

sonar platinum, quad core 8 gig acer, washburn bass, epiphone gibson and sg guitar, roland rs-70 keys, ibanez acoustic, behringer c1 mic, roland vm-3100 pro mixer...and more plug-ins then a power station
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/22 10:56:35 (permalink)
Arrt attack release ratio threshold

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/22 21:59:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2017/03/25 00:32:37
Also it's worth considering that many people find it a lot easier to hear what the compressor is doing when listening at low volumes. I know I do. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/23 11:15:48 (permalink)
peter47
thanks for the feedback..this is a great community for help and reading these reply's has givin me more insight then years of looking at youtube..

If you're going to youtube for insight into how/why audio compressors work, that's probably part of your problem. There are tons of videos on youtube which demo the sound of an audio compressor. And in most of them, the audio with the compressor bypassed sounds almost exactly the same as the audio with the compressor engaged. 

I believe this is because the audio in every video uploaded to youtube get processed through youtube's own compression algorithm. You're not going to hear much a difference after that because now all the audio in the video is being compressed. The audio with the compressor engaged will just be compressed a bit more than the audio without.

If you want to really understand what compression does to audio, you need to find a how-to source where you can download raw wave files of the audio before and after compression is applied. Otherwise the differences will be much more difficult to hear.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/23 14:28:03 (permalink)
Most demos over the internet can't give you a real appreciation of the actual sound.  Capture, video codec for editing transfer, rendering, video compression for youtube, etc.  I love the people who purchase a mic or preamp only after listening to internet audio.

The theory is simple - a compressor squashes the difference between the softest and loudest parts of a track, so that the sound is fuller.  On screen, a compressed track looks more like a ruler than a bouncing recording - which is exactly how it sounds.  As pointed out above, it can keep the level high enough so a supporting sound doesn't fluctuate and disappear under the lead, while a lead will float steadily above all the backing  sounds.  And for that delicate balancing work you need to hear the details, not something that has been squashed after the artist finished the piece. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
peter47
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/23 15:32:37 (permalink)
yes indeed youtube is proberly not the best way of "hearing" compression demonstrated and most times i can not hear a bit of difference only that it sounds louder,however i have seen a few groove 3 vids which are to some extent helpfull i think the only sure fire best way to learn the "beast" that is compression is to try it out for yourself having said that i have mentioned in op i am tone deaf but this music prodution hobby is a lot of pleasure for me..most of the explanations here have indeed been very helpfull and i will continue to dig deep into your minds!!!
is stamp collecting an easier hobby???
regards Peter

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/23 16:26:13 (permalink)
Not to get nit picky but tone deafness in its true form, i.e. unable to distinguish one pitch from another, should not affect the ability to hear or use compression in the least since compression does not change the pitch of the audio at all. 

I suspect that what you mean when you say that you're tone deaf is actually something more along the lines of you don't have an ear that's super well-trained in the art of honing raw audio into sonic gold. No one is born with such an ear. Its a matter of time and effort to develop the skill. 

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
pilutiful
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 275
Re: question about understanding compression 2017/03/24 09:19:25 (permalink)
Jeff wrote a great description. Sure helped me to understand more what compression is and what it does:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3564426

SONAR Professional 2017.06 (Win 10 64-bit)
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha HS7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1