My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend.

Author
Bhav
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 887
2017/03/23 19:53:44 (permalink)

My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend.

The first one was completed to a satisfactory level, but the second one still needs some work I think.

The first half of the song synced to a video game trailer:

And I just finished my second one to a demo-able state today:

Edit - Second upload of this song with some cleaning up on the vocals:

post edited by Bhav - 2017/03/23 21:51:38

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.

7 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/23 20:13:35 (permalink)
    Nice start on them Bhav.
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/23 20:26:21 (permalink)
    I think you have a good thing going on with "You Said I". Possibly adding another instrument (strings or other?) during the chorus might make it fuller/stand out more (a counter melody or harmony). The vocals also sounded pretty good on this one. 
    Well done!!

On "Say it to me", you may want to redo the vocal track as some of the vox parts were quite noticeably flat. The piano came out very nicely though (on both tracks). Possibly a little more low end on the bass might give it a little more oomph?   

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Bhav
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/23 20:26:29 (permalink)
    So I need to master the tracks as the second one definitely has some occasional clicks / distortions on playback, I'll ask in other threads how to do this in Sonar.

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
    Bhav
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/23 20:28:17 (permalink)
    Mesh
    I think you have a good thing going on with "You Said I". Possibly adding another instrument (strings or other?) during the chorus might make it fuller/stand out more (a counter melody or harmony). The vocals also sounded pretty good on this one. 
    Well done!!

On "Say it to me", you may want to redo the vocal track as some of the vox parts were quite noticeably flat. The piano came out very nicely though (on both tracks). Possibly a little more low end on the bass might give it a little more oomph?   

I think its because I didnt use auto tune on Say it to me as it added clicks / artifacts. I tried recording it a few times too, doh.

I'll try auto tuning it and see how it turns out. 

Reducing the correction speed in Nectar Elements is working out to a satisfactory level.

And I actually forgot to try the piano chords an octave lower, I'll test that too. - Edit, no this sounds terrible, the chords need to be left where they are.

Bhav
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/23 21:24:51 (permalink)
    I've managed to fix the vocals on Say it to me a bit better, basically I had recorded the chorus twice separately and the second one was naff and getting screwed up with pitch correction. I tried recording it again, but it worked out better to just delete it, and copy paste the first one then apply pitch correction, and it sounds fine now.

Uploading soon. 

I think I just realized the artefacts were due to pitch correction applying itself to the breath sounds behind the vocals, no idea what to do about that other than having an opportunity to record in a better studio, so I will be applying soon for the masters degree im interested in, or internships if I cant get onto it.

Bhav
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/23 21:52:51 (permalink)
    Pitch corrected version uploaded and added to the OP, but it has noticeable artefacts.

Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: My demos, some kind of jazz / soul blend. 2017/03/24 13:36:29 (permalink)
    Bhav
    I've managed to fix the vocals on Say it to me a bit better, basically I had recorded the chorus twice separately and the second one was naff and getting screwed up with pitch correction. I tried recording it again, but it worked out better to just delete it, and copy paste the first one then apply pitch correction, and it sounds fine now.

Uploading soon. 

I think I just realized the artefacts were due to pitch correction applying itself to the breath sounds behind the vocals, no idea what to do about that other than having an opportunity to record in a better studio, so I will be applying soon for the masters degree im interested in, or internships if I cant get onto it.

Gave the new version a listen and yes, it's an improvement over the original. Regarding the artifacts, you can try a couple of things:
    1) split the vox clip and then delete/remove the breath sounds up to only when the singing begins
    2) put a 'fade in' at the beginning of each breath sound (you first need to split the vox clip into small segments)
    Sometimes, the "performance rhythm" of the vox might be lost in #1......test it and see.

The lower end/bass part I was talking about was the bass guitar and not the piano. Also, adding another instrument (possibly strings) playing the same notes behind your vocals in evenly spaced out parts might help in keeping the tune phatter and pitch steadier. Experiment and see.....these are only just suggestions and may or may not work.      

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1