Helpful ReplyLooking for the best mixer control surface

Author
raymondm4
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2017/03/24 12:51:54 (permalink)

Looking for the best mixer control surface

With all of the new digital mixers out there. I was wanting to buy something to use as a control surface for Sonar Platinum. I currently use a 23" touch screen to control the console but I would like to replace my old analog mixer (that I'm using as my audio interface) and be able to control the console section on sonar. I like the digital mixers that have digital labels and would like to have one that pulls that label from Sonar. I know Sonar has the VS700 but that is very old technology. I need expert advice on what to buy. Thank you in advance for you help.

I love my little home studio!
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Looking for the best mixer control surface 2017/03/24 13:47:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby raymondm4 2017/03/24 14:24:54
I use a Mackie Control Universal Pro with a Mackie Control Extender and LOVE them! They have the scribble strip you are talking about, where they show the track name for each channel of the mixer. I dig how the motorized faders move with your automation. :)

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Looking for the best mixer control surface 2017/03/24 15:43:59 (permalink)
Without audio part (Control Surface pure):
* mentioned Mackie Control (MCU Pro) and XT.
   The functionality is the same as on original (old) Mackie/Logic units.
   Limintations: no soft synth control, no Pro Channel control (with mod PC EQ and Comp supported)
* Mackie clone Behringer X-Touch (big one). The functionality is the same as with the original, but hardware components are not the same and there is no XT clone.
- other Mackie clones (QCon Pro, FaderPort 8) are NOT recommended (only partially compatible with original unit)

With audio part.
Before considering, check that you really want standalone unit and that number of analog inputs/outputs. Otherwise consider Control Surface plus separate audio interface/rack mixer. F.e. MCU Pro + RME UFX, X-Touch + X-Air.
* Behringer X32. More or less X-Touch with digital mixer in one body (up to now it is not possible to use all faders to control Sonar)
* A&H Q (16/24/32). Sonar control is basic, but all faders can be used (in fact that is the only functionality of this device with Sonar, plus several buttons).
- many other mixers (Yamaha, Tascam) can somehow work as Surfaces for Sonar, but there is no information how good.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: Looking for the best mixer control surface 2017/03/25 15:32:34 (permalink)
My faithful control surface for years has been the Mackie Control Universal.  There has never been a more dedicated control surface than the Mackie.

Get it !!!

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: Looking for the best mixer control surface 2017/03/27 00:23:31 (permalink)
depends on your budget.. I recently bought a faderport 8 as it came at a nice price (b-stock) due to a dented box. it works in mackie mode etc.. but really shines in studio one.. which is the problem with companies, in the sense of they have  a preference for certain makers etc. I'd have loved an earlier 16 channel pre-sonus thing, but it was exclusive to studio 1.. when I spend that sorta money I want it to work in sonar / cubase / reason or whatever I'm using.

as for the FP8 . it's motorised also.. but the build quality of my old BCF faders I prefer.. not sure about the newer behringer thing, but have heard a few aren't impressed with the jog wheel,and you can chain 3 of em.. it's good BUT it's a pity they didn't daisy chain the power, to save plug sockets.

the functionality of the FP8 is great though, has a lot of buttons on the units. scribble strips also.

I'm happy enough with it and it can control soft synths, but personally I'd say get something like a novation nocturn etc for that. and use it solely to control the console.

bussing things, I'm assuming others do it.. so you could have 8 instruments * 8 buses without too much hassle.

the v700 is why I'm glad I didn't buy a far more expensive unit.. at the time it was REALLY tempting.

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Looking for the best mixer control surface 2017/03/27 00:44:58 (permalink)
I know that if I could afford it, I would get a Tascam DM-4800. 25 motorized faders, XLR on every channel, fat channel strip, expandable via optional cards. You can get em on eBay for around $1700 if you look.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1