Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content

Author
BlixYZ
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 805
2017/03/27 14:15:12 (permalink)

Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content

Here's what happened- 
I used to have "Akoustic Piano" from NI.  It sounds amazing but not very stable.
When I moved to a new PC, I reinstalled Komplete and now there is no Akoustic Piano.
I really loved that upright- (Steingraber?)

I am totally open to suggestions, but I need an earthy, slightly imperfect upright.  I like being able to control whether the "mics" are close to or far from the instrument WITHOUT adding reverb.  I own any content that has been included with Sonar over the years.

If I still have the steingraeber on my old computer, is there anyway to move it to the new PC?  I don't want to shell out $99 for it.

James W
BlixYZ Recording Studio
BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Mackie Control Universal + C4
Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
Windows 10

12 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/27 15:26:53 (permalink)
    BlixYZ
    If I still have the steingraeber on my old computer, is there anyway to move it to the new PC?  I don't want to shell out $99 for it.

If you haven't deleted it, it should still be there.  You should be able to copy any of your Kontakt/Komplete library folders over to your new PC.

I don't have Komplete, but do have several Kontakt instruments which I keep in a dedicated folder.  Because they're on a separate samples drive, it makes housekeeping and upgrading a breeze. 

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    rmfegley
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/27 17:54:52 (permalink)
    What version of Komplete do you have? Komplete 10  (I think) introduced The Gentleman upright instrument for Kontakt (as well as two grands). It's a great upright piano instrument, though it doesn't have the mic distance controls. Versions before that had another great-sounding upright. I'm not sure if you're saying that the Steingraber is part of Akoustik Piano, but if so, there's a chance it won't work on a newer system. Windows 10 finally did in Pro-53 for good for me, and it and Akoustik Piano were discontinued around the same time (almost 9 years ago). It's hasn't been available for sale since then.

Sonar Platinum latest update
    Windows 10 Home
    i7-4790 CPU
    ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
    Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
    Native Instruments Komplete 10
    Various other commercial and free plugins
    &
    highlandermak
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/27 19:48:30 (permalink)
    I have the Addictive Keys upright kit wich sound great and is customizable.

Computer: CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Xtreme VR GXiVR8140A Gaming PC
    CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core | Intel Z370 Express Chipset
    Graphic: NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB
    USB: 6 x USB 3.1 | 2 x USB 2.0 | 1x RJ-45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000
    Storage: 240GB SSD+2TB HDD
    Application(DAW): Studio One 3 Pro and SONAR PLATINUM - Version (Most current update)
    Audio Interfaces: PreSonus Studio 192 and Focusrite: Scarlett 6i6 (Most current updates)
    outland144k
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/27 20:35:20 (permalink)
    rmfegley
    What version of Komplete do you have? Komplete 10  (I think) introduced The Gentleman upright instrument for Kontakt (as well as two grands). It's a great upright piano instrument, though it doesn't have the mic distance controls. Versions before that had another great-sounding upright. I'm not sure if you're saying that the Steingraber is part of Akoustik Piano, but if so, there's a chance it won't work on a newer system. Windows 10 finally did in Pro-53 for good for me, and it and Akoustik Piano were discontinued around the same time (almost 9 years ago). It's hasn't been available for sale since then.

I've got "Upright Piano", which I think is based on the old Steingraeber sample set working in Win10 with no problem. I believe that when I upgraded my computer several years ago, I just moved over the hard disk with the samples (I could be mistaken on this; it was several years ago). I currently run Komplete Ultimate 9 if that's any help.

BTW, all four of the upgrades from Akoustik Piano were free, if I remember correctly. Can you do that?
    post edited by outland144k - 2017/03/27 21:22:38

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/27 20:58:47 (permalink)
    outland144k
    ... I believe that when I upgraded my computer several years ago, I just moved over the hard disk with the samples (I could be mistaken on this; it was several years ago). I currently run Komplete Ultimate 9 if that's any help.

Yes, this is similar to my setup.  Basically, the idea is once you have a dedicated folder or (even better) drive for your sample libraries, it can be easily moved to another installation without having to reinstall the libraries.

James, first you'll need to locate your Komplete libraries on the old PC.  Once you do that, it should be just a matter of copying those folders (or moving the samples drive) to the new PC.

If you don't know the location offhand, you can fire up Kontakt Player or Kontakt (whichever you use) and look in the left main window - folder structure to see where it is.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    outland144k
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 934
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/27 21:19:50 (permalink)
    JonD
    outland144k
    ... I believe that when I upgraded my computer several years ago, I just moved over the hard disk with the samples (I could be mistaken on this; it was several years ago). I currently run Komplete Ultimate 9 if that's any help.

Yes, this is similar to my setup.  Basically, the idea is once you have a dedicated folder or (even better) drive for your sample libraries, it can be easily moved to another installation without having to reinstall the libraries.

James, first you'll need to locate your Komplete libraries on the old PC.  Once you do that, it should be just a matter of copying those folders (or moving the samples drive) to the new PC.

If you don't know the location offhand, you can fire up Kontakt Player or Kontakt (whichever you use) and look in the left main window - folder structure to see where it is.

This should help, but it might not be the whole story without knowing which version of Komplete he's running. He is running Win10 which may complicate (komplikate?) the problem with the issue rmfegly is mentioning, re: Akoustik Piano. But, w/o spending the $99, your suggestion is probably the only way to go.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/28 11:40:09 (permalink)
    I own Komplete 5.
    Currently, it will only cost $199 to upgrade to Komplete 11.
    This gets me "The Gentlemen" and one other weird upright piano.
    It ALSO gets me a ton of other stuff including the SSL type plugins.
    I think this is the way to go.

James W
    BlixYZ Recording Studio
    BlixYZ Records

Audient ASP800 thru Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
    Mackie Control Universal + C4
    Yamaha HS50's plus Matching Sub, Tannoy 501a
    Blue Baby Bottle, AT 4050, Neumann TLM 103, etc.
    UA 610, Focusrite/ART/Neve 2CH.
    Windows 10
    rmfegley
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/28 12:12:31 (permalink)
    BlixYZ
    I own Komplete 5.
    Currently, it will only cost $199 to upgrade to Komplete 11.
    This gets me "The Gentlemen" and one other weird upright piano.
    It ALSO gets me a ton of other stuff including the SSL type plugins.
    I think this is the way to go.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. The Maverick is another great sounding piano included in Komplete as well, it's sort of halfway between a grand and an upright piano.

Sonar Platinum latest update
    Windows 10 Home
    i7-4790 CPU
    ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
    Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
    Native Instruments Komplete 10
    Various other commercial and free plugins
    &
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/28 16:29:07 (permalink)
    Sampletekk Rain Piano is my go-to upright. Love the sound!!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/28 22:37:32 (permalink)
    I ran across an "upright piano" in Rapture today. I thought it was nice.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/29 15:27:32 (permalink)
    +1 for the Rain Piano

I don't know why the forum keeps deleting posts with a link to the Sampletekk product page for the Rain Piano MkII, so you'll just have to Google it. The product page has a good description of the VSTi and a couple of videos.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Upright Piano- what do you suggest? I have Kontact in addition to Sonar content 2017/03/29 16:12:54 (permalink)
    I recently upgraded from Komplete 5 to Komplete 11. Komplete 11 comes with some amazing pianos - 2 grand, 1 upright as well as the Giant and Una Chorda. "The Gentleman" is a fantastic upright that is almost infinitely tweakable. I still have Akoustic Piano installed, but compared to the new ones it sounds like a toy piano in a baked bean can!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1