Helpful ReplySonar film scoring/beats

Author
Calazzus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2017/03/26 20:53:07 (permalink)

Sonar film scoring/beats

I watch a lot of videos on YouTube. I watch vst product demos, orchestral film/tv scoring, and beat making videos. I don't think I have seen one yet where Sonar is being used. For film scoring it's Cubase, Logic, Ableton, Pro tools even FL studio. For beat making videos it's all of the above, Reason and Studio one. I NEVER see videos with Sonar in them except Sonar tutorials. Does anyone have any idea why Sonar isn't as visible?
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/26 22:08:26 (permalink)
Industry Standards are Pro Tools and Cubase in Audio Production, along with
Logic, being Mac based, and are used in Mac environment for "stability reasons" so they
say.  ALL of these have had Mac compatibility for years.  

Sonar is JUST NOW
making it's push into Mac...which could tip the balance...we shall see, but that
is the biggest reason that they are used as Standards...they have been dual OS
for years...Sonar has not...

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/26 23:16:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fresh101 2017/03/29 18:44:24
Calazzus
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube.

Good , here's one you may want to see  ...

The composer talks about how he scored  Mission Impossible Rouge Nation using SONAR

here's a thread that has a link to the full score ...BTW one of the guys in the thread uses SONAR .
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Film-Composer-Uses-Sonar-to-Score-quotMission-Impossible-Rogue-Nation-2015quot-m3416819.aspx

He does a nice amount of music for television .Shows we have all watched
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/27 02:39:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kitekrazy1 2017/03/27 23:40:18
I think that the main point here is to use something compatible with your workflow.  Joe mentioned here that he uses a Sonar template for Vienna Symphonic Library, a template which he has used like 15 times.  So he has all his levels set, he knows where everything is, and he has an entire orchestra mocked up, down to the sections and chairs.

Of course you could do this with any modern DAW of your choice, but if you are a professional you should be able to work quickly and efficiently with your tools, so you need to use the tools that you know!

The workflow Joe has is that he scores to picture, using two computers.  The video is run with a Mac running Pro Tools to keep the load off the DAW, and the orchestration is all done with Sonar and VSL on a PC.

Then after he convinced the director that it was all good, they went into Abby Road studios and recorded the final version with a live orchestra! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Calazzus
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/27 21:49:38 (permalink)
He said he is the only composer he knows that uses Sonar. I know a DAW is what you make it just don't understand why no one seems to use this one. The MAC vs PC kind of make sense but can't be the only reason. Btw I have lifetime SPLAT.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/27 23:43:18 (permalink)
abacab
I think that the main point here is to use something compatible with your workflow.  Joe mentioned here that he uses a Sonar template for Vienna Symphonic Library, a template which he has used like 15 times.  So he has all his levels set, he knows where everything is, and he has an entire orchestra mocked up, down to the sections and chairs.

Of course you could do this with any modern DAW of your choice, but if you are a professional you should be able to work quickly and efficiently with your tools, so you need to use the tools that you know!

The workflow Joe has is that he scores to picture, using two computers.  The video is run with a Mac running Pro Tools to keep the load off the DAW, and the orchestration is all done with Sonar and VSL on a PC.

Then after he convinced the director that it was all good, they went into Abby Road studios and recorded the final version with a live orchestra! 

Great post.  I think when a person reaches a certain level, taking time to learn another DAW is less time making money. There was a Sonar user still using 2.2 while many were on 7 and his excuse for not upgrading was making money.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kitekrazy1
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/27 23:55:47 (permalink)
Calazzus
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube. I watch vst product demos, orchestral film/tv scoring, and beat making videos. I don't think I have seen one yet where Sonar is being used. For film scoring it's Cubase, Logic, Ableton, Pro tools even FL studio. For beat making videos it's all of the above, Reason and Studio one. I NEVER see videos with Sonar in them except Sonar tutorials. Does anyone have any idea why Sonar isn't as visible?

Search Beatscape on Youtube.  Too bad they ditched the best REX VI out there.  Reason's OctoRex was no match. The only DAW where I had to work with scoring that was easy and stable was Studio One.  I could care less to ever do that kind of work again.

Does it matter?  Some go through esteem issues when it comes to their choice of DAW.  I see this with FL users despite winning the most popular DAW in Music Radar just about every year. 

I often wonder if endorsements really carry that far in the software industry.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
abacab
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/28 00:51:39 (permalink)
Calazzus
He said he is the only composer he knows that uses Sonar. I know a DAW is what you make it just don't understand why no one seems to use this one. The MAC vs PC kind of make sense but can't be the only reason. Btw I have lifetime SPLAT.

I think it may have a lot to do with the Mac vs PC thing, but not for the reason you may assume.

Most creative professionals probably used Macs in school, whether it was for music, film, or graphic arts.  They acquired lots of skills with Mac-centric tools, and probably scored academic licenses for many of them along the way. 

Using what you know is a big time saver, and money maker!

One reason that Cakewalk Sonar is not listed as "industry standard" is probably due to this fact that it has been "Windows only" since the beginning of time.  Cakewalk has not really penetrated the academic market yet.

There was a time when real-time audio, or graphics, was only available on the Amiga or Mac.  And it took a while for Windows to catch up, and catch up it did!  But the meme had already been implanted.

Another reason is that the timing of the major recording and movie studios switch from analog to digital.  When the industry shifted, the Mac was probably the only realistic choice for the majority of them.  So along comes Pro Tools.  A lot of money was invested in that platform.  So we are really dealing with first to market, and the expense and inertia to change once you are "all in".  I have heard that if you want to work in a recording studio, that you must be skilled with Pro Tools.

I have also heard rumors that some independent studio guys now buy Pro Tools, just so they can tell a prospective client that "Yes, I have Pro Tools".  Then they can use their choice of DAW to work in.  Time is money!

The bottom line is that all modern DAWs probably sound alike today, with professional sounding audio mixes.  They are all capable.  It is the skill level of the musicians and the DAW operator that matter the most.

Regarding equipment, the DAW only processes the bits it is given by the external hardware.  The signal chain starting with the recording room, instruments, microphones, preamps, audio interface analog/digital converters, etc., is what really produces the sound.

So don't get hung up on "esteem" issues regarding your choice of tools.  Make music instead!

kitekrazy1
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/28 01:08:05 (permalink)
Under the big labels most likely your releases went through Pro Tools no matter what DAW was used to make it. 

BTW my favorite newsletter is the one from Pro Tools.  Great newsletter.

abacab
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/28 01:20:21 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
Under the big labels most likely your releases went through Pro Tools no matter what DAW was used to make it. 

Yup, and I'm willing to bet when Joe went into the studio with the hired orchestra to record the final version of the score for "Mission Impossible", that they tracked it on Pro Tools.

Calazzus
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/28 09:20:23 (permalink)
abacab
kitekrazy1

Yup, and I'm willing to bet when Joe went into the studio with the hired orchestra to record the final version of the score for "Mission Impossible", that they tracked it on Pro Tools.

I think so too. Pro tools seems to be the number one choice for mastering. Some ppl think buying pro tools puts them on the same level as professional engineers when the truth is pro engineers don't have out the box pro tools, they have 35k-65k worth of hardware and plug ins with their pro tools.
Calazzus
Re: Sonar film scoring/beats 2017/03/28 09:26:53 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
Calazzus

Search Beatscape on Youtube.  Too bad they ditched the best REX VI out there.  Reason's OctoRex was no match. The only DAW where I had to work with scoring that was easy and stable was Studio One.  I could care less to ever do that kind of work again.

Does it matter?  Some go through esteem issues when it comes to their choice of DAW.  I see this with FL users despite winning the most popular DAW in Music Radar just about every year. 

I often wonder if endorsements really carry that far in the software industry.

Those videos are ancient. Sonar 8?
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1