Helpful ReplyWhich audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
2017/03/27 12:46:46 (permalink)

Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR?

Hi, this will probably help me more in choosing the right audio interface than the thread I posted earlier. Questions here are very simple.

Did any of the audio interfaces you purchased NOT work very well with SONAR? If so, which manufacturer/model was it? Which OS were you on at that time?

Thanks

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 15:09:42 (permalink)
On your Quad-Capture, do you have the most recent system update 1.04 (Different from driver update)?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3229539

https://www.roland.com/us/products/quad-capture/downloads/

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
ryecatchermark
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 16:23:18 (permalink)
I had nothing but trouble with a MOTU 828x with Sonar, USB and Thunderbolt connection, even though it worked fine with other software. Once I switched to a RME Babyface Pro, all of my problems went away and I am running pretty much 100% stable on the latest version of Sonar Platinum. - Mark.

Mark K.
Asus G752VY Laptop.  Intel Quad i7 6700HQ 2.6 GHz. 32 GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 980M. Windows 10 Home 64bit. MOTU 828x.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 16:25:01 (permalink)
M Audio Fast Track Pro.
pastema
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 17:02:59 (permalink)
no trouble with m-audio ftp
jacksop
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 17:34:36 (permalink)
For some reason the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and Alesis iO2 EXPRESS didn't work for me. But the Behringer FIREPOWER FCA1616 works like a charm!!  I am running SONAR X1 on WIN 7.

Sonar X1 Pro · (2) Dell Precision 490 · Quad-core Intel Xeon 5300 · 16Gb RAM · WIN 7 Pro 64 · Android tablet · M-Audio Keystation 88es · Behringer FCA610 · Behringer CONTROL2USB ·  Presonus FaderPort · Alesis M1 MkII Active · Peavey StudioMix

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 17:46:19 (permalink)
Roland quad-capture was a total disaster.  SPLAT Windows 7
RME Babyface is pure magic.  SPLAT  Windows 10

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 17:56:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/03/27 22:01:21
First, only interfaces that might cause issues will be a low end interface with crappy drivers. 
Most interfaces under $400 do not have stellar drivers they will have things like hidden buffers which make it impossible to reach super low latency. Nothing wrong with these if low RTL is not needed.  
It's pretty obvious which brands have the best drivers. When this question is asked 90% of the answers = RME and MOTU. 
So that sort of narrows down the playing field right there if RTL and solid drivers are your priority. There are many great choices from those 2 brands, just pick the one that has all the features you need.  
If you find the price to high then I guess you'll have to go for second best such as Tascam and Focusrite. 

And second before shopping sit down and make a check list of what features you need, for now and for the near future. Here's a handy dandy check list of common features; 

http://www.cactusmusic.ca/Docs/Johns%20Audio%20Interface%20blurb.rtf

PS all these threads you've started really belong in Hardware sub forum where you'll find dozens of similar threads and all the same answers. 

Johns Interface shopping list: 

What kind of connectivity do you require? and how many of each.
These are some of the options:
XLR, 1/4",  Combi jacks,  RCA, ¼” line level, ¼” Instrument level ,MIDI, SPDIF, ADAT,MADI and others. 
How many ins and outs do you think you'll need now and in the future?
Are they accessible?  Front or rear panel?
Are all ¼” jacks Balanced?  
Is there a true stereo pair? Some don’t have a matched set of inputs.
Pre Amps will fall under the “you get what you pay for”  rule, but check out the reviews anyhow.
A/D convertors will also fall under the same rule and generally all are good these days. 
Are there peak level meters or just a little LED for each input?
Are there channel Insert jacks?
Are there separate controls for Monitor level and headphone level?
Is there a blend control for mixing Source with Computer ( DAW) ?
How many Headphone jacks? A level for each?
Are the input pads or line / Instrument toggle switches on the front, back or software controlled?
Is it a metal box or cheap plastic? Is it light and portable or large and bulky, Rack mountable?
Does it have an on / off switch?
Does it use Buss power or a power supply? Buss power can have issues with noise and Phantom power. Look for at least an optional power supply.  
Does it have DSP effects built in?
Does it use a GUI mixer? Having a software (GUI) mixer adds more options.
Can it be used as stand alone? Some interfaces are also handy as a small mixer.
Now we even have remote Tablet control for live studio and In Ear monitoring. 
Some interfaces are full blown live mixers. 
What are the Round Trip Latency (RTL) specs? Do you need low RTL for real time processing?
Do you plan on using Guitar sims? 
Low RTL is going to be at a higher price point. A $200-$400 interface will have hidden buffers etc.
Zero Latency monitoring is not the same as RTL. All interfaces have some latency.
Zero latency is just marketing hype for monitoring directly from the interface.
And most important of all, Does it have top notch drivers for your OS. 
What is the word on support from the company?
Does it come with free software, An LE version of a  DAW you would like to try?

Everyone will recommend the interface they have chosen, that doesn't mean it is the right one for you. 

post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/03/27 18:23:39

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 19:20:16 (permalink)
I sent back a Quad Capture because in Hi-Z mode it is microphonic (just tap the box to hear it) and it has a low-level hum even with the laptop on battery and a short-circuited jack plug on the input. Becomes a problem when compression is introduced. Then you really hear it.

Confirmed by many other users and a Roland person I met at the Frankfurt MusikMesse. He said it was fine in prototype, the fault was introduced in production. No fixes foreseen.

My two OctaCaptures also do not like Hi-Z mode. They make motorboat noises but are OK when plugged in.
They also are very sensitive to digital ground loops and are unusable in my studio rack; for this reason I went back to my Tascam 16x08. No digital ground loop at all in exactly the same setup.

My older generation of Roland/Edirol interfacers (UA-101, UA-25EX) show no such problems whatsoever.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/27 20:41:26 (permalink)
I have used Line6 interfaces, 3 different models, and they all behave similarly. Sometimes during a lengthy session, Sonar would suddenly lose it's connection to the interface for no apparent reason. The device would simply disappear from the input/output menus. A reboot was necessary to put it back to normal. Also, Sonar would often crash while looping.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 02:36:03 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
M Audio Fast Track Pro.

I've got a couple of these at school and will probably need to replace them pretty soon. With each update to Win7, they become a bit more unstable. They are also legacy at this point. Avid's site for the drivers states that they will not be compatible with Win10. 

http://avid.force.com/pkb...Fast-Track-Pro-Drivers

I've got an older RME BabyFace at home on my Win10 machine. It's a beautiful thing (it also worked flawlessly with Win7 64 bit). The best drivers I've seen. SPlat loves it.

OTOH, I've also got a MOTU Midi Express 128 midi interface. Cakewalk often will not recognize it when starting. After I re-plug in the USB cable, it's stable, but I have to adjust the midi connections in SPlat for the blip. I can't speak for the audio interfaces, but I've always had the impression (especially after talking to their "support staff") that Windows is generally a low priority for MOTU. Maybe that's changed, but I wish their driver for the Midi Express 128 was solid.
post edited by outland144k - 2017/03/28 05:11:47

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 05:46:45 (permalink)
outland144k
Sanderxpander
M Audio Fast Track Pro.

I've got a couple of these at school and will probably need to replace them pretty soon. With each update to Win7, they become a bit more unstable. They are also legacy at this point. Avid's site for the drivers states that they will not be compatible with Win10. 

Ha, that was my first interface and I put that little box through some real hell. When I upgraded, also to a MOTU box, I gave it to a friend and he's still using that thing. It wasn't top of the line but it did the job and did it well.

outland144k
OTOH, I've also got a MOTU Midi Express 128 midi interface. Cakewalk often will not recognize it when starting. After I re-plug in the USB cable, it's stable, but I have to adjust the midi connections in SPlat for the blip. I can't speak for the audio interfaces, but I've always had the impression (especially after talking to their "support staff") that Windows is generally a low priority for MOTU. Maybe that's changed, but I wish their driver for the Midi Express 128 was solid.

I have a MOTU 8pre, the firewire version, running on my home-brew computer on Windows 10 x64. The original MOTU was about 10 years old and worked pretty damned well for me until just recently when I got a little ham-fisted and broke the multi-function knob on the front panel. Fortunately MOTU has an awesome program where you send them the out-of-warranty old unit and $99 and they'll ship you a factory-refurbished unit of the same model/series. I took advantage of that late last year and I expect I'll get another ten years out of it. In fact, I expect firewire to become unavailable before the box gives it up.

After a major OS update odd things tend to start happening and I have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to restore it to normal operation. I've also never been able to do real-time monitoring with this interface, but I don't really need to so I can't say I've tried very hard to get it working well. (I use guitar rig in standalone mode for monitoring while recording bass and guitar and nothing at all for vocals, but the interface has lots of routing options built in that could do the job if I ever needed to do that.) It has settings for as low as 64 samples but I usually run it at 512 to get stutter-free playback, and sometimes higher when mixing/mastering. It has worked very well with both Sonar and Reaper.

I hasten to add that I've never really tried hard to optimize my computer or the OS for low latency operation. My computer, while powerful isn't specifically designed for real-time audio, but I've never really found that to be a problem for me. I do agree that MOTU places less emphasis on Windows in general, but this interfaces has been a real workhorse for me despite it's quirks. It's been a very solid device for my home studio. If I had to depend on an interface for my living I'd personally opt for an RME device but the 8pre is most certainly capable of handling that workload, particularly when coupled with a Mac.

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
icontakt
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 06:38:34 (permalink)
JonD
On your Quad-Capture, do you have the most recent system update 1.04 (Different from driver update)?

Yes, both the sytem program and the driver are up-to-date (1.5.2/1.04).

Cactus Music
And second before shopping sit down and make a check list of what features you need, for now and for the near future. Here's a handy dandy check list of common features;

Thanks for the list and the other advice. I’ll definitely check the list.

Cactus Music
PS all these threads you've started really belong in Hardware sub forum where you'll find dozens of similar threads and all the same answers.

I thought about posting there, but since what's important is the compatibility with SONAR, I decided to post here. Also, I assumed that not many read the Hardware sub forum compared to this SONAR forum (I very rarely visit the sub forum).

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
icontakt
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 06:39:12 (permalink)
jpetersen
I sent back a Quad Capture because in Hi-Z mode it is microphonic (just tap the box to hear it) and it has a low-level hum even with the laptop on battery and a short-circuited jack plug on the input. Becomes a problem when compression is introduced. Then you really hear it.

Confirmed by many other users and a Roland person I met at the Frankfurt MusikMesse. He said it was fine in prototype, the fault was introduced in production. No fixes foreseen.

My two OctaCaptures also do not like Hi-Z mode. They make motorboat noises but are OK when plugged in.
They also are very sensitive to digital ground loops and are unusable in my studio rack; for this reason I went back to my Tascam 16x08. No digital ground loop at all in exactly the same setup.

My older generation of Roland/Edirol interfacers (UA-101, UA-25EX) show no such problems whatsoever.

Thanks for posting this valuable info. I didn’t realize that Quad-Capture has this issue.

Tak T.

icontakt
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 06:40:17 (permalink)
ryecatchermark
I had nothing but trouble with a MOTU 828x with Sonar, USB and Thunderbolt connection, even though it worked fine with other software.

Sanderxpander
M Audio Fast Track Pro.

jacksop
For some reason the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and Alesis iO2 EXPRESS didn't work for me.

jude77
Roland quad-capture was a total disaster. SPLAT Windows 7

Kev999
I have used Line6 interfaces, 3 different models, and they all behave similarly. Sometimes during a lengthy session, Sonar would suddenly lose it's connection to the interface for no apparent reason. The device would simply disappear from the input/output menus. A reboot was necessary to put it back to normal. Also, Sonar would often crash while looping.

outland144k
Sanderxpander
M Audio Fast Track Pro.

I've got a couple of these at school and will probably need to replace them pretty soon. With each update to Win7, they become a bit more unstable.

outland144k

kevinwal
I do agree that MOTU places less emphasis on Windows in general, but this interfaces has been a real workhorse for me despite it's quirks. It's been a very solid device for my home studio.

I’ll take all these into consideration. Thank you all very much!

Tak T.

Steve_Karl
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 09:31:54 (permalink)
It may seem too "picky" to you all, but it seems to me recommending a particular audio interface without telling your specific latency setting in the ASIO pannel and average track count, and what those tracks consist of, seems pretty useless.

Steve Karl
https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
SPLAT 2017.01
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 10:09:10 (permalink)
Here is a list of Audio hardware:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013101/Open-Audio-Hardware-Guide

This might be helpful to just see a bunch of them all in one place.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 10:36:56 (permalink)
chuckebaby
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013101/Open-Audio-Hardware-Guide

indeed useful, although some devices are recommended to use mme drivers! (maybe needs updating?)

just a sec

MacFurse
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 11:42:29 (permalink)
M-audio FTP, then M-audio mobile pre, then Mackie Onyx Black Jack.

The FTP would hardly work properly, then it died altogether. The Mobile Pre worked a little better, but still always gave me grief. The Mackie was the worst. I never did get the drivers to work properly.

All the above were on Win 8.1.

Then I changed to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to trial first, then to my current 18i20. They started on 8.1, then moved onto win 10. Both have been rock solid, though occasionally I have to delete and re-install the driver for 18i20, always after a win update. But that's about as much grief as I have had. Couldn't be happier.

All the best.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 13:47:22 (permalink)
pwalpwal
chuckebaby

indeed useful, although some devices are recommended to use mme drivers! (maybe needs updating?)

Well it would be nice if you helped the OP out by listing some ?
or are you here simply for your morning debate ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 15:29:20 (permalink)
icontakt
Hi, this will probably help me more in choosing the right audio interface than the thread I posted earlier. Questions here are very simple.

Did any of the audio interfaces you purchased NOT work very well with SONAR? If so, which manufacturer/model was it? Which OS were you on at that time?

Thanks

Usually these are not related to a DAW. If one does not work with Sonar it usually wont work with other DAWs.  The only issue I had was with a Terratec EWX2496.  This card was discontinued after XP yet the developers created beta drivers for Vista 64.  They worked with W7.   The only issue I had was Sonar and Reason would not recognize the Terratec's ASIO drivers.  It worked with WDM drivers. 

The only "audio interface" that does not work well is usually onboard sound.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 15:36:32 (permalink)
chuckebaby
pwalpwal
chuckebaby

Well it would be nice if you helped the OP out by listing some ?
or are you here simply for your morning debate ?

listing some what? i've never had an audio interface that didn't work with sonar, plus, being a cheapskate non of my current ancient ones are available to purchase any more

and (and!) it's already tea-time here

just a sec

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 16:36:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby outland144k 2017/03/29 01:05:33
Side topic advice here. If replacing an audio interface, be sure to get one from a store which has a 30-day return policy so that you get the opportunity to test drive it on your system. Just because something works for others does not mean it will be ideal for you and vice versa.

Typically, a model with good ASIO drivers should not have issues. The machine itself can insert some issues due to its setup and how much it is tasked during use. Some VST/is are heavy handed, and no AI will fix this, so low latency when the CPU is already choked won't happen.

Again, being able to return it if it doesn't suit you is paramount.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 17:35:13 (permalink)
Tale of two interfaces here, well actually the same one. My friend has a Focusrite 18i20 which worked wonders on his system. When it was time to upgrade I got one based on his success. It was nightmare for me, but it turned out to be a bad unit which I had to return. Still waiting for a few days to get a new one, but I will say when it worked, it was awesome. I was able to get down to .7 ms of latency and my system was stable even with big projects.
One word of advice, when in the desktop environment it's really a good idea if using usb to make sure the device is not only on its own ports and not sharing, but that the port is matched with it's own internal hub on the MB. You get great results that way at low latency and slightly less CPU overhead.

bokchoyboy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 19:16:15 (permalink)
emwhy

One word of advice, when in the desktop environment it's really a good idea if using usb to make sure the device is not only on its own ports and not sharing, but that the port is matched with it's own internal hub on the MB.

Em,
What's the best way to determine possible port and hub issues and or reassign them?

Thx,
Freq
emwhy
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 21:22:55 (permalink)
Tricky way is to look in device manager and see what device is on what port/hub. You may have to unplug various devices to do this. Also, when connected to a usb 3.0 port it will be on the xHCI controller as opposed to the eHCI controller for 2.0 devices. It would help if you have a block diagram of your motherboard to see how things are connected.

I cheated....went and got an Inantech pcie to usb card strictly for my usb audio stuff. All the usb number crunching is done on the card and passed along the pci buss to the chipset. On some computers and laptops the usb hub is part of the main chipset. This can cause some bandwith issues.

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 21:43:58 (permalink)
I was able to get down to .7 ms of latency and my system was stable even with big projects.

I'm sure you meant 7ms, not .7ms.. or your not talking Round trip latency , right?  

That's interesting that Cakewalks list of audio interfaces contains a lot of devices I and others would never recommend  and even some pathetic USB mikes, and RME is not even on the list??? What's with that. Pretty pointless list.  It tells you some basic specs and importantly ASIO support, but then that said it shows Creative as having asio drivers ( har har) 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

emwhy
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/28 23:19:44 (permalink)
It was in fact .7 but you're correct that it was not the round trip latency. Also had to have nothing running in the background. I will go on record as highly recommending Focusrite as soon as my replacement arrives. mentioned up thread that I had one that was defective. 

icontakt
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/29 09:57:51 (permalink)
chuckebaby
http://www.cakewalk.com/S...n-Audio-Hardware-Guide

I didn't know such a list existed on the CW site. The list actually helped me easily identify which model (i.e. 2 audio inputs+MIDI posts) I should check out on the manufactuer's site. 

Tak T.

icontakt
Re: Which audio interface did NOT work very well with SONAR? 2017/03/29 10:00:02 (permalink)
MacFurse
M-audio FTP, then M-audio mobile pre, then Mackie Onyx Black Jack.
~~~
Then I changed to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to trial first, then to my current 18i20. They started on 8.1, then moved onto win 10. Both have been rock solid, though occasionally I have to delete and re-install the driver for 18i20, always after a win update.

emwhy
Tale of two interfaces here, well actually the same one. My friend has a Focusrite 18i20 which worked wonders on his system. When it was time to upgrade I got one based on his success. It was nightmare for me, but it turned out to be a bad unit which I had to return.

Thanks for the info, and for sharing your experience with the Scarlett interfaces.

Tak T.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1