Helpful Reply03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane?

Author
rtucker55
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2177
2017/03/28 21:14:05 (permalink)
5 (2)

03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane?

Just installed the 03-2017 release, opened a project that has several midi tracks open in the PRV track pane. All of the audio tracks also show up there now.

How can I turn that mess off? 

Thanks,
Rick

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 615
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/28 21:37:36 (permalink)
+1 (1)
Hi Rick,

Not sure if you participated in the Early Access or not, but that same issue was a subject of debate there as well as with the Beta Team.  I believe it's currently the same as in pre-2017.03releases (i.e. audio tracks can be shown in the PRV).  However some customers want it always allowed ("hey I need to access the MSR buttons for my audio without switching out of the PRV"), while other customers want the option prevented completely ("this is the PRV - what to I care about audio tracks here for").  

The solution in 2017.03 is you can use the new Filter feature to block your audio tracks, same as the old Pick Tracks dialog except faster.  In 2017.04 development may make more changes in this area based on the feedback received so far.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Lima
Cakewalk, Inc.

rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/28 22:12:58 (permalink)
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Quick reply!

Yes, I can see how the 'Edit Filter' now works.

There do seem to be some anomalies in the track selection process and I do have one project that will not show the midi track notes or controllers in the PRV even when selected in the track pane, it only shows the associated Audio track.

I just got started with the update, and did not participate in the Early process, so I need to play and read some before I can determine if it is me or Splat.

It is interesting as I almost always use a midi track and audio track for VI's. In the PRV 'Track Pane' I could just hit the mute button and it muted the associated audio track also but this seems to be inconsistent as it will on some tracks and won't on others.

Currently scratching head about needing Audio tracks in the PRV when it is for midi editing and someone should be able to mute the Audio track by muting the midi track that drives it?

Regardless, I do like the 'Filter' as it is a QUICK way of viewing things. Still wish the audio track thing was a selection in the preferences so people would have individual choices how they wish to work. If you have 25+ midi tracks plus the associated audio tracks showing up in PRV it does get, messy.

Again, Thanks for the quick reply.

Kind regards,
Rick

BrianSzep
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/28 22:51:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2017/03/28 23:13:57
+3 (3)
Hi Jim,

I think it can be as simple as adding an option under the filter to only show midi tracks.

Brian

System:
i7-4770K CPU | 32 GB Ram | GTX 780 Ti 3GB | (2) PB278 27" Monitors | SSD 250GB - OS Drive | Hard Drives
Software:
Win 10 Pro x64 | Sonar Platinum | Sound Forge 11 | Waves Diamond | Hollywood Orchestra - Diamond | EWQLSO - Gold | Storm Drum 2 Pro | Kontakt 5 | Evolve Mutations 1 & 2 | Funk Guitarist | Session Horns Pro | Razor | Skanner | Retro Mach MK2 | Vapor | EZD2 & EZK | AD2 & AK | Sytrus | Z3ta 2 | Rapture | Dimension Pro | AAS VA-2, VS-2, GS-2 | Hive
www.joeythomasbigband.com
www.circuitryfilms.com

rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/28 23:50:05 (permalink)
OK, I think I see what is going on with the selection issues I am having in the PRV.

In the Main track pane I have only Audio tracks showing and the Console view follows that. That allows me to only display audio tracks on my control surfaces to keep the bank switching and clutter down.

If the Midi track is Hidden in the Main track pane it can not be selected or edited in the PRV now. It appears that the Track Manager is no longer present in the PRV so you can no longer just select the midi tracks for PRV. ( I am guessing the only reason the midi tracks even showed up was because it is a project created prior to this change, but I have not created a New project yet to confirm this.)

This is not a good workflow at all for me personally. Two reasons:
#1: I do not want a bunch of midi tracks cluttering things up on my control surfaces.
#2: I really have No use for Audio Tracks in the PRV midi editor. They should be able to be muted/soloed from the midi track itself.

I will probably need to roll back until this gets implemented a little better or we find an acceptable a work around.

Edit: I just created a New project and I can Hide the midi track in the Console view so it does not show on the control surfaces and it can still be selected in the PRV so my reason #1 is no longer an issue here. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Kind regards,
Rick
post edited by rtucker55 - 2017/03/29 00:20:58

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 07:31:40 (permalink)
rtucker55
Just installed the 03-2017 release, opened a project that has several midi tracks open in the PRV track pane. All of the audio tracks also show up there now.
How can I turn that mess off?

For years I have been complaining about the Pick Tracks menu and the fact that it lists every track in the project rather than just the relevant types, i.e. midi and simple instrument. I was hoping that the new PRV design would address this issue. I'm disappointed.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Kev999
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 07:34:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2017/03/29 10:32:03
0 (2)
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]
...some customers want it always allowed ("hey I need to access the MSR buttons for my audio without switching out of the PRV")...

If there is a need for for MSR to be accessable outside of Track View, then perhaps the developers could create a new dedicated MSR window view just for this. Why does it need to clutter up PRV?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 11:48:39 (permalink)
Kev999
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]
...some customers want it always allowed ("hey I need to access the MSR buttons for my audio without switching out of the PRV")...

If there is a need for for MSR to be accessable outside of Track View, then perhaps the developers could create a new dedicated MSR window view just for this. Why does it need to clutter up PRV?

Looking through the forums I failed to find all these Customer requests to access the MSR buttons for audio without switching from PRV.  Do you have a link?

The more I work with this the less I like it. The filter would be very handy for working on midi tracks only. These Customers must be pretty damn important to get such an illogical request filled.

I am more than disappointed...

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 13:09:49 (permalink)
rtucker55
Kev999
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]

Looking through the forums I failed to find all these Customer requests to access the MSR buttons for audio without switching from PRV.  Do you have a link?

The more I work with this the less I like it. The filter would be very handy for working on midi tracks only. These Customers must be pretty damn important to get such an illogical request filled.

I think a more helpful tone would be beneficial to all. I'm sure Cakewalk has the best of intentions in updating the PRV, which we have all been asking for for years. Let's give them a chance to address unintended consequences and/or UX issues before jumping on them.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 13:30:54 (permalink)
+1 (1)
seems like prv is no longer "just" prv and is now a hybrid?

just a sec

rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 14:08:09 (permalink)
dcumpian
rtucker55
Kev999
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]

I think a more helpful tone would be beneficial to all. I'm sure Cakewalk has the best of intentions in updating the PRV, which we have all been asking for for years. Let's give them a chance to address unintended consequences and/or UX issues before jumping on them.

Regards,
Dan

I'm not here to be politically correct or express a Helpful tone.

The fact is, it makes absolutely no sense to clutter up the PRV (midi editor) with a bunch of audio tracks because someone is too lazy to tab over to a Console view to mute/solo their audio tracks. They could even float the console to use the MSR buttons, or they could set up views, or they could accomplish this with a control surface, or they could do this several other different ways. But no, Cakewalk decides to continue forward with putting audio tracks in the Midi editor track pane. That filter could have been very useful if it were only for midi tracks.

Cakewalk also could have put a track manager back into the PRV so people would have a choice about which types of tracks they want to see. The track manager seems to work great in the Track Pane and the Console View.

Seriously, I am a little more than pissed about this move thus my lack of Helpful tone.

Regards,
Rick

bitman
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 14:55:10 (permalink)
0 (2)
It should be limited to midi tracks only - always. What were you guys thinkin?
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 17:31:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/03/29 17:52:18
pwalpwal
seems like prv is no longer "just" prv and is now a hybrid?

No, the PRV track pane shows both track types, as Jim explained above, but the PRV window itself is just for MIDI as it's always been.

That said, it could be cool to have an optional audio waveform drawn behind the PRV...  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

bitman
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/29 21:56:42 (permalink)

That said, it could be cool to have an optional audio waveform drawn behind the PRV...  

Yes it would.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/30 13:05:22 (permalink)
Count me in the "just MIDI, please" camp. 

Years ago I started naming my tracks "Bass MIDI" and "Bass AUDIO", which helps me avoid accidentally picking an audio track for the PRV, but that's a kludge. A better solution would be to somehow differentiate audio and MIDI tracks in the new picker window, perhaps giving each a different background color or a tiny icon.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Bob Currie [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/30 23:22:59 (permalink)
rtucker55
...I'm not here to be politically correct or express a Helpful tone...

I like a spirited debate no matter what the tone. :-)  For what it's worth, the majority of us on the development team also agree that avoiding the clutter of audio tracks in the PRV is a good idea.  The thing is, during beta and early access of 17.03, enough users made the point that having the MSR buttons available for audio tracks really helped their workflow.  I can see that - I may end up using it myself.  The point is - we're still putting polish on this for 17.04, so please hold off on getting too pissed-off until then.  We all want this feature to make a huge improvement in our workflows.  We'll get there.  Customization will likely be the key.  Everything in this forum is at least on the whiteboard as we speak.  Please keep the comments coming.  Thanks!

~Bob

rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/31 00:44:56 (permalink)
Hi Bob,

Thanks for jumping in here with a detailed explanation of the events that has led to this decision.

I totally agree with your statement about 'Customization is likely the key' to fulfill the needs of both sides.

If we were able to use a Track Manager/Picker for the PRV track pane, similar to the track managers available to the Track and/or Console view, this would likely solve the issue. People could then choose which tracks they want to see in the PRV track pane. (It seems like we could do this before...)

I spend the majority of my time in the PRV and use the Track pane exclusively to perfect midi performances that may include one or multiple VI's. The New filter would have been very helpful if it just selected midi tracks. I do not and don't have any intention to use screen sets as they have caused me past issues I don't care to revisit.

I remember back when the PRV track pane was introduced and it was a wonderful time saver but you could not save the current selected tracks with the project so you always had to re-select the instruments you were working on when opening the project. I tried for over a year to get an update so that the selections would persist as they were left when you saved your project. I received all kinds of promises that it would be fixed in the next update but it took over a year and a lot of PM's to some Cakewalk folks. Finally, the update was finally made and it was another major time saver.

Due to the filter this is not a show stopper for me currently but it will require me making several changes to existing projects for things to work correctly in the PRV track pane as they now Can Not be hidden in the main Track View and still be selected in the PRV Track Pane for editing.

Try this:
instantiate a VI and select, have the associated midi and audio tracks created.
In Track view, hide the midi track.
Open the PRV and you will see both the audio and midi track in the Track Pane.
The audio track will already be highlighted in the Track Pane but try to select the midi track to do an edit.

I can't do it here if that midi track is hidden in the Main Track View. I almost always hide the midi tracks in the Main track view and the Console view just to save real estate. I would be curious if it is just something on my end causing that or if that is the new intended behavior.

Regardless, Thank you again for jumping in and hopefully this will get resolution in the next update.

If you have any further questions, Please, feel free to contact me I will try to help in any way I can to bring this current issue to resolution.

Kind regards,
Rick Tucker

dlesaux
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1034
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/03/31 18:16:33 (permalink)
Also a supporter of the MIDI only view. Having a little button with a waveform icon for example (next to the auto-lock button for example) could be added to allow audio tracks to become visible. I would suggest having the audio tracks off as the default though.

Peace!
Daniel

Sonar Platinum - 2017.10 and PreSonus Studio One 3.5.5
Windows 10 64 bit
Studiocat Skylake Desktop PC with Intel i7 6700k processor @ 4.20 GHz / 16G RAM 
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface and Cakewalk UM-2G Midi Interface

Check out my website
Kev999
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/01 01:05:38 (permalink)
Bob Currie [Cakewalk]
...enough users made the point that having the MSR buttons available for audio tracks really helped their workflow...

When you say MSR, do you really mean just Mute & Solo? Or is the Record button included too?

Kev999
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/01 01:35:12 (permalink)
Bob Currie [Cakewalk]
I like a spirited debate no matter what the tone...

Speaking of tone, sometimes things are taken the wrong way. Just to be clear, my suggestion about having a separate MSR window (or maybe just MS) was not meant as a flippant or sarcastic retort. It was a genuine and positive suggestion.

I believe that a separate "MS View" could be useful, not just in conjunction with PRV, but also with Console View. For example: when you are viewing buses in CV, sometime you want to solo or mute particular tracks. Having a compact list or array of track names with accompanying solo & mute buttons would be a very helpful workflow aid. Ideally it would be floating, always-on-top, or maybe dockable in the browser. Available options would be to view: all tracks, tracks by type, buses, etc.
post edited by Kev999 - 2017/04/06 07:11:09

brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/03 20:31:30 (permalink)
rtucker55

Looking through the forums I failed to find all these Customer requests to access the MSR buttons for audio without switching from PRV.

You won't find such a thread because it's always been possible to include audio tracks in the PRV; it just didn't happen by default as it does now.

As for the need/usefulness of M/S buttons in the PRV, think about editing a mix of recorded and MIDI drums or MIDI-reinforcement of a recorded bass or transcribing an audio track to MIDI or doing anything involving related synth and recorded audio parts.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/03 21:57:46 (permalink)
Before this update we had a track picker in the PRV and you could add an audio track to the PRV track pane and you could access the audio track MSR buttons if is was selected for use in the PRV track pane. (I still can now that I went back to the 01/17 version.)

I guess I still don't understand the need or desire to change the prior PRV workings to the current state. I use Splat as a primary midi record, edit, bounce tool. I work mainly in the PRV to do midi edits. If I wanted to, I could pick an audio track and use the MSR buttons for it. Perhaps it just seems that way to me because the audio tracks I select are those of a VI that is associated with the midi tracks...

The email I received from Cakewalk telling about this New update told about the Cool stuff that was added to the PRV but nothing about forcing the default of audio tracks into the track pane. It also did not say anything about not being able to Edit midi tracks in the PRV if you have them hidden in the main TV.

There are some Very Cool features in the New PRV update but unfortunately they are negated by the forcing/default of audio tracks in the track pane and the fact that midi tracks can not be hidden in the TV if you want to edit them in the PRV. I would have to modify so many projects to make them work it is not worth my time.

Above I said I was pissed about the update, and I still am, but I really think I am just more disappointed. Fortunately, I have been with Cakewalk long enough to know, I always make a system image of my drives prior to updating anything Sonar related.

It will be interesting to see how this eventually transpires.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/13 19:30:38 (permalink)
Kev999
Jim Lima [Cakewalk]

Because "some customers" don't view it as "clutter". Whereas having to open or deal with another view would be.

The key to any new change, tho, is "CUSTOMIZATION!"

BTW, Since this really isn't a problem, this thread should probably be in the main Sonar forum.
stevec
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/13 20:00:44 (permalink)
FWIW, I actually used the presence of audio tracks in the PRV track pane last night for the first time.  And I liked it.   

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

rtucker55
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/13 20:36:48 (permalink)
Regardless of having the Audio tracks clutter the PRV another Issue still remains.

If you hide midi tracks in the TV they are no longer select able to edit in the PRV track pane. Every Project I have gets the midi tracks hidden in TV. The more tracks you're working with, the more it starts to matter.

If the Track Picker was just put Back into the PRV, Everyone should be satisfied by that fix.

stevec
Re: 03-2017 Why do audio tracks show in PRV Track Pane? 2017/04/13 21:53:44 (permalink)
+1 (1)
rtucker55
Regardless of having the Audio tracks clutter the PRV another Issue still remains.

If you hide midi tracks in the TV they are no longer select able to edit in the PRV track pane. Every Project I have gets the midi tracks hidden in TV. The more tracks you're working with, the more it starts to matter.

If the Track Picker was just put Back into the PRV, Everyone should be satisfied by that fix.

Yup, the display of audio tracks aside, I'd say that sure sounds like a bug!   I would want the PRV's track pane to be completely independent of the TV itself, just like the CV and TV are independent.

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1