Helpful ReplyA word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view [Solved]

Author
rmfegley
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
2017/03/29 01:09:23 (permalink)

A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view [Solved]

Tip to anyone who has customized the color of your piano roll view window background: you may be in for a shock when you open the piano roll view in 2017.03. One of the first things I did in Sonar when I started migrating to it as my main DAW was change the piano roll background color to a dark gray, because I really prefer a darker GUI.  I did this long before themes were ever even mentioned, but interestingly it matched the dark scheme of Tungsten perfectly.

However, when I opened up 2017.03 today, I discovered (to my horror, coincidentally aptly illustrated by my new profile pic at left) that the piano roll view now looked like this:

Whereas previously the sharps and flats were simply colored a slightly darker shading of the selected PRV window background color, the new two-tone taupe and teal scheme apparently overrides that completely. I spent a good ten or fifteen minutes freaking out, edging toward panic when I found no item relating to this to change in the color customization dialog. I went so far as to take screenshots and begin a stern post demanding an explanation. About halfway through typing my angry missive, it suddenly occurred to me that I should perhaps check the theme editor for any clues, and sure enough, there are two items under piano roll view for the sharps/flats. I changed them both to a dark gray and now all is well in my piano roll. 

But if anyone else out there wants to keep a dark look for there piano roll background, you're going to have to go into the theme editor to change it. It's pretty easy to do, but if anyone who hasn't delved into the them editor wants instructions, just post here.
post edited by rmfegley - 2017/03/29 02:25:13

Sonar Platinum latest update
Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
Native Instruments Komplete 10
Various other commercial and free plugins
&
Bob Currie [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view 2017/03/29 01:43:50 (permalink)
Hi rmfegley,
This one's a bug.  I'll log it in the system tomorrow and we'll get it straightened out.  Thanks for the heads-up!
~Bob
rmfegley
Re: A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view 2017/03/29 02:12:28 (permalink)
Hmm, yeah I guess theme settings shouldn't really interfere with color customization and vice versa. I haven't done any other color customizations besides in the piano roll, background and grid line colors, so I've never seen this come up before in other views. I imagine it's been challenging integrating themes with the existing customization system. But like I said, for now editing the theme I use worked well enough. It was going to be a definite no-go with 2017.03 if I had to look at that first screenshot in my piano roll, though 

Thanks for giving it quick attention.

EDIT: And btw, now that I resolved the visual issue and have spent a minute exploring the new functionality, I'm really liking it. The filter system is great, a fantastic addition.

Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 

&
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view 2017/03/29 02:20:57 (permalink)
Bob Currie [Cakewalk]
Hi rmfegley,
This one's a bug.  I'll log it in the system tomorrow and we'll get it straightened out.  Thanks for the heads-up!
~Bob

Wow! That's what I call support!

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
iasmithkeys
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view 2017/05/18 00:21:02 (permalink)
Apologies for necro'ing this thread, but I seem to be having this problem still with 2017.04. I can't figure out how to handle the theme editor either. Any advice is appreciated!
rmfegley
Re: A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view 2017/05/18 00:35:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Stevethesearcher2015 2017/05/18 09:21:16
Open up the theme editor, select open and choose the theme you are using. In the the theme browser on the left, expand the piano roll folder and look for two entries labeled "Black Keys Background". Select the first one and then click the edit button in the tool bar. A color picker dialog will open and you can select the appropriate color. Repeat for the second Black Keys entry. In my case I chose the same shade for both, slightly darker gray than the gray I set for the main piano roll background color in the color customizations. It's a pretty simple fix, but I hope they change this somehow to make it more consistent, it's not very intuitive to have to change the color settings in two totally different places.

Windows 10 Home
i7-4790 CPU
ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 

&
Stevethesearcher2020
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: A word of warning about color customization in new 2017.03 piano roll view 2017/05/18 09:26:57 (permalink)
rmfegley
Open up the theme editor, select open and choose the theme you are using. In the the theme browser on the left, expand the piano roll folder and look for two entries labeled "Black Keys Background". Select the first one and then click the edit button in the tool bar. A color picker dialog will open and you can select the appropriate color. Repeat for the second Black Keys entry. In my case I chose the same shade for both, slightly darker gray than the gray I set for the main piano roll background color in the color customizations. It's a pretty simple fix, but I hope they change this somehow to make it more consistent, it's not very intuitive to have to change the color settings in two totally different places.

That's good to know. I want to use black background for Piano Roll and I will be doing what you have outlined.
Its kinda inconsistent that Sonar Platinum comes with a darker background now by default compared to X3 but you still have that white bright Excel spreadsheet as a Piano Roll by default! Dark theme dark piano roll. Bright theme bright piano roll I thought would be much more logical. Maybe its just me and I expect too much.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1