Midi Automation

Author
mattburnside
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
2017/04/04 07:14:57 (permalink)

Midi Automation

Hi guys,

I'm really just getting started with learning the latest version of Sonar and need some help when it comes to midi automation. I have all the tracks recorded and manually edited the way I want them performance wise I just need help saving an automation performed with my Akai LPD8. I can assign the pots on the LPD8 to the cutoff within a soft synth absolutely fine but don't fully understand how I can modify the current midi performance with these automation sweeps I'm adding to the cutoff.

I'm guessing it's within the midi write and read options but I just can't get it to save what I've done. 

Please help and thanks in advance.

P.S Is there any good tutorial or starter guides for Sonar around the web, after not using it for 10 years a lot has changed.

4 Replies Related Threads

peter47
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Midi Automation 2017/04/04 07:53:30 (permalink)
    Hi Matt, in the piano roll view at the bottom you can click on a sub menu to show velocity and other parameters such as CC there you can adjust the appropriate parameter, and for tutorials well of course there are lots on youtube and i personally use a site called groove 3 which has quite a bit of sonar stuff...hope it helps good luck
    regards Peter ( a noob  myself)

sonar platinum, quad core 8 gig acer, washburn bass, epiphone gibson and sg guitar, roland rs-70 keys, ibanez acoustic, behringer c1 mic, roland vm-3100 pro mixer...and more plug-ins then a power station
    mattburnside
    Re: Midi Automation 2017/04/05 05:22:34 (permalink)
    Hi Peter,
    I shall take a look at that website. I think the issue is after playing some more that I need to setup the LPD8 correctly. Thanks for your response :)
    mattburnside
    Re: Midi Automation 2017/04/07 06:14:43 (permalink)
    Okay so I don't think I explained exactly what I'm trying to achieve last time so I'll try again. If anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful. 

So I have a couple of instruments recorded in my track, one of which is a dull, one note midi drone. Ideally what I need to be able to do is play this back with the track but get Sonar to write in the automation I'm performing live with the LPD8. I'm sure this can be done but I'm just struggling to figure it out at all. 

Any tips or help appreciated. 
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Midi Automation 2017/04/08 20:39:13 (permalink)
    I can't tell if you are getting recorded MIDI CC data confused with DAW automation.  In the case of the former, you just record your controller knob (or whatever) movements just like note/key data.  Record it on the same track (with record-merge enabled) or record it on a different track that gets sent to the same synth (easier in some DAWs than in SONAR, the last time I looked at SONAR).

It the case of automation, set things up to record automation (it's in the SONAR documentation - haven't done it myself in several years).  In this case, it's not MIDI data you're recording but something that the DAW handles more or less automatically provided you have the correct automation record/playback options turned on.

In either case, you may go back later and edit/modify the recorded controller info.  But how you do that is different for MIDI and automation.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1