Helpful ReplyControl Audio Plug-in via MIDI? (SOLVED)

Author
mcgooze
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
2017/04/06 18:27:36 (permalink)

Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? (SOLVED)

I can't for the life of me figure this out, but I'm sure it has to be a basic function....

I just purchased Melda Production's MVintage Rotary. I dropped it in the effects bin of the VB3's audio channel. How do I assign a MIDI controller to control slow/fast speed (or anything else for that matter)? It looks like there are all sorts of parameters that can be controlled on the MVintage... I just can't figure out how to get MIDI info there! (I know I can draw an envelope to automate functions once a track is done, but I'd prefer realtime control).

thanks in advance,

greg
post edited by mcgooze - 2017/04/06 19:58:25

greg

Greg McGuirk Music & Audio
www.gmma.biz

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2017/04/06 18:39:33 (permalink)
I do not have this particular plug-in, but there are 3 general options:
1) enable "MIDI Input" in the "VST" menu (top of the window)
2) declare it as a Synth and then insert as a synth (till some Sonar version that was usual sine (1) was not available)
3) control it with a Control Surface. So like an envelope, but controlled from MIDI controller throw Surface Plug-ins. In this case you do not need separate MIDI routing/track.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
mcgooze
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2017/04/06 19:05:22 (permalink)
Hmmm... thanks, but I'm not getting it yet. The 1st option seems nice & easy, but nothing happened. I found the "enable MIDI input" option in the drop down VST menu at the top of the menu. I enabled it, but no control... and thinking about it, how would it know that my MIDI input is routed to it?

The second option, I didn't really understand.  In the Plug-in manager, I can enable it as both a VST3 plug-in and a VST2 plug-in, but not as a VSTi.  Am I missing something?

Last option... I don't have anything configured as a control surface currently.  Seems like a lot of work just to be able to slow it down & speed it up... If that's the only way, I guess I'll have to hunker down & go to it.

Any other thoughts?

thanks.

greg

www.gmma.biz

shawker
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2017/04/06 19:28:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mcgooze 2017/04/06 19:57:30
azslow3
I do not have this particular plug-in, but there are 3 general options:
1) enable "MIDI Input" in the "VST" menu (top of the window)
2) declare it as a Synth and then insert as a synth (till some Sonar version that was usual sine (1) was not available)
3) control it with a Control Surface. So like an envelope, but controlled from MIDI controller throw Surface Plug-ins. In this case you do not need separate MIDI routing/track.

After doing 1 above, then create a midi track and assign its output to MVintage Rotary.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2017/04/06 19:35:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mcgooze 2017/04/06 19:57:26
Here is one way to map the ModWheel to the slow/fast switch

After adding MVintageRotary to the VB3 instrument or audio track
Select "Enable MIDI Input" in the VST2/3 drop down above the MVintageRotary UI
Click the MIDI button on the MVintageRotary UI
Enable the Controllers Tab
Click the Parameter drop down
Select the MIDI slow/fast mapping
Click Ok to close the dialogs

Add a MIDI track, input set to your controller, output to MVintageRotary, input echo on

VB3 has a leslie with the slow/fast already mapped to the ModWheel. Either turn the leslie off and/or add the MIDI Event filter to  the MIDI FX rack of the VB3 and filter out the ModWheel

mcgooze
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2017/04/06 19:57:15 (permalink)
Ahhh!!!  Y'all rock! I hadn't created a MIDI track & routed it to the MVintage.  Makes sense now.  Once I enabled MIDI Input to the plug-in, I immediately thought "yeah, but how does MIDI get routed to it?"  It didn't occur to me that I'd then be able to add a MIDI track to route MIDI to the plug.  Thanks much for the help!

By the way, if you need a Leslie sim, MVintage Rotary is on sale for $28.00 right now.  Kinda a no-brainer if you like Leslies!

greg

greg

www.gmma.biz

Razor59
  • Total Posts : 72
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/10 09:08:40 (permalink)
Hi ...i'm using cakewalk 8.5/win 7. I'm trying to use the mvintage rotary's on/off speed with the modulation wheel on my keyboard. I installed both vst and vst 3 plugins with the rotary,but on the drop down menu in rotary it doesnt say vst 3 ,only vst ,and there is no enable midi input. Is it because 8.5 doesnt support vst 3?? if thats the case can i get the mod wheel or the sustain pedal to work on the on/off speed some other way,or should i just forget it?? Thanks/Ray
scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/10 13:35:42 (permalink)
Prior to X3 in order to send MIDI to a plug-in, "configured as synth" must be enabled. This is done on the plug-in properties page. This page is available from the VST drop down in the plug-in standard header and the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager. No need to install VST3 plug-ins for 8.5 or anything older than X3. The DAW does not support the format. The VST2 version should work fine in this case.

If running 64bit Win7, upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab would add VST3 support among other features, bug fixes and support. It is free.
Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/11 07:48:47 (permalink)
So all i have to do is enable configure as synth for the rotary ?? Or do i do it for the organ??
Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/11 08:18:17 (permalink)
hi again scook...if u could give me a run thru om how to do this i would really appreciate it. As said before..i'm using 8.5 and win 7. I.ve tried assigning both the mod wheel and the sus pedal to control the on/off speed in rotary. Nothing doing. I started a midi track also to try and use the rotary as output..but its not there..only the vb3 is there.I also configured the rotary as a synth..and that didnt work . I have no issues with other plugins and mod wheel /sus pedal assigning. The question is ..is it possible at all to assign them with my setup?? i will be downloading the new cakewalk and trying it on my other computer,,
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/11 16:06:31 (permalink)
scook
If running 64bit Win7, upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab would add VST3 support among other features, bug fixes and support. It is free.

it might be a bit of a shock coming from 8.5

just a sec

scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/11 16:45:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2018/09/11 16:46:12
One would expect to see some differences when upgrading once every 10 years or so. It is a similar jump in time as moving from Pro Audio 9 to SONAR 8.5.

The solution I posted in message #5 was for the SONAR version available in 2017 but should work in X3 or newer. Prior to that time, the solution needed the plug-in configured as a synth. This is the only difference in setting up a plug-in to receive MIDI data. Regardless of the method used to setup the plug-in to receive MIDI data, the plug-in still goes in the FX Rack of the audio/instrument track to be effected and needs a dedicated MIDI track for its MIDI data.

There are additional steps for MVintageRotary as illustrated in message #5 above to enable MIDI and bind the mod wheel to the appropriate parameter in the plug-in.
Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/12 11:46:05 (permalink)
thanks for all the help so far..but nothing doin here. i'll tell u what i have done so far. As i said..i use cakewalk 8.5/win 7. The problem is assigning 2 fx rotary plugins . I load vb3 under insert soft synth as a normal track(insert soft synth) In the fx area i have tried mvintage rotary and also gsi mr donald. I have tried using the normal cc assign to both..01 /mod wheel and 64 for sustain pedal. Nothing happens. Then i have followed instructions here and on other forums. I open the plug in properties for mvintage and click on enable as synth(didnt disable as plug in,left it as it was), and in Mr Donald i couldnt configure it to synth at all.,as there was no option..Then i check on my soft synth menu and its not there.Nor is it in the output list in the midi track i have created. Since i couldnt configure the mr donald  plugin i gave up on that ,as i can't enable midi output to it . So its only the mvinatge left..i went to midi options in the plug in ,and assigned the mod wheel to 001(trying the  all channels option and channel 1,wasnt sure which is the case there)...then clicked on learn,which should assign the mod wheel when used...also tried the sustain pedal with 64(same channel setup i did before)...nothing happening. The only way i get the speed to work is with the mouse!! on both plugins!!...I have of course turned off the rotary effect on vb3(unassigned it)....so thats it. It seems maybe that 8.5 doesnt support the enable midi output on fx plugins. Funny..on the soft synths there is an option to enable midi output. But it should be the mvintage that i have to enable midi output..am i right??not the vb3??Also ,i have NI B2 plugin..and the rotary works fine there with the mod wheel,well its a vst  not an effect...also the vb3 on/off work ok with the mod wheel. Am i doing something wrong or is it time to try the new cakewalk. I'm so used to using 8.5...but if this is the case i'm willing to try . So if anyone knows a way around this i would appreciate it..thanks again for a great forum everyone/Ray
scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/12 13:03:30 (permalink)
If MVintageRotiary is correctly configured as a synth it should no longer be in the effects list, instead it should be listed with all the other synths. This change will be apparent when using the default plug-in layouts.

There is nothing in the the setup that uses a "MIDI learn" function. Could you be trying to use SONAR's Remote Control to automate the feature instead of MVintageRotary's built-in MIDI mapping? The animated gif above shows two steps.

The first is setting "Enable MIDI Input" in the VST standard header. This is for X3 and newer. Ignore that when running older versions of SONAR. The only way to get MIDI data to any plug-in in X2 and older is configure the plug-in as a synth.

The second is the plug-in's built-in MIDI mapping feature. This must be done in any DAW in order for the plug-in to use MIDI data.

Cannot tell if you are using a dedicated MIDI track to control the MVintageRotary. It is not possible to use the same MIDI track to drive VB3 and MVintageRotary. IOW, VB3 requires an instrument track or a MIDI and audio track to play the synth and another MIDI track with its output set to MVintageRotary for the effects MIDI data.

Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/12 16:01:33 (permalink)
hi scook.thanks for your answer...hope u have patience. I'm not an expert on all this. The mvintage was configured as a synth,and yes its not showing up in the synth list. I configured amplitube 4 here tonight as a synth,and that disappeared from the fx menu to the synth menu,so i understand how it should work. The mvintage isnt   showing up in the synth meny at all. Now,,when u say a dedicated track..i don't understand totally. I open vb3  under  insert soft synth, and it opens up as a track!! Not a midi track. In this track i go into the fx box and open up mvintage . Ok!! :-)  At this stage the mvintage is already configured as a synth. Then i create a new midi track...in that track i look at the output..which is normally my keyboard/midi controller. There i go in to the menu..and only vb3 is there(plus the keyboard). No mvintage.I have already tried this with amplitube and that shows up no problem  in the output menu . Also i could assign a rotator there to my mod wheel. So i havnt opened vbs in a midi track,,just created a midi track,to see if mvintage has appeared in the output list.In the other track i created with vb3 and mvintgae as an fx..i configured the mod wheel to the on/off switch..did all that should be done there...If i'm doing something wrong as regards the dedicated Midi track let me know. I can send you screenshots if wanted. Its not only this plugin..but with a few other..only i want to use this rotary for guitar...thanks again/Ray  ps/ is there something else i should do to 'dedicate' the midi track. What actually should be in the dedicated midi track..is it just to create a midi track and then set the option to the mvintage as i have done!!??
scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/12 16:43:19 (permalink)
So the synth is using an instrument track and there is a MIDI track setup to control the effect. That is OK. Instrument tracks were not very good in 8.5 but I doubt that is the problem.

If MVintageRotary is not in the default synth list and is not showing up in the output drop down of a MIDI track, the plug-in will not receive MIDI data. Post pics if you want but with the exception of the Melda MIDI Mapping the setup is just like Amplitube or any other FX plug-in that can accept MIDI data. I know SONAR 8.5 was well out of support when MVintageRotary came on the market but would expect it to work like any other MIDI capable VST. I can tell you the post I made in 2017 solved the problem for the OP who was running a version of SONAR that support the solution.

In fact, I just tested the solution from message #5 above with Cakewalk by BandLab and it still works. I also tested X2, the last version that required plug-ins to be configured as synths and the oldest version of SONAR I have installed. After configuring the plug-in as a synth using the Plug-in Properties from the VST drop in the plug-in standard header, I did have to delete and re-add the plug-in for it to pick up the property change in the project. Changing the plug-in to a synth did immediately move the plug-in to the synth list as expected.

I see from the image above I was using the 10.07 release of Melda's plug-ins. I just tested with the 12.05 release.

Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/13 11:54:43 (permalink)
hi scook!!thanks for youre answer. I just tyhought of something..it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that i have installed both vst and vst3 plugins?? i installed vst dll files to both C:/ program files/vst plugins and also program files(x86)/vst plugins..and also vst3 dll files  to c:/program files/common files and c:/program files(x86)/common files. All these paths are in my plugin scan when i scan vst plugins in caklewalk 8.5. Could this effect the outcome?? I have both 64 bit and 32 bit plugins plus vst 3 installed.???The version i have is 12.00 and i got with the melda complete bundle 11.Will also mention that i have tried guitar rig 5 as a synth and that won't show up in my synth list either. Only fx plugin i have configured to synth is amplitube 4. !!!If u want i can show screenshots of what i have done..only if it helps!!
scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/13 15:22:35 (permalink)
Installing VST3 does not matter, 8.5 will not see those plug-ins even if an X3 or newer scanner is installed and the VST3 scan path is added. If running 64bit 8.5 use 64 plug-ins whenever possible. of course, if you are running 64bit Windows, CbB is an option especially since it appears that you have updated everything but the DAW. It might be time after 10 years. I recall having to setup Guitar Rig as a synth years ago  on an other machine. Don't recall if it was v4 or 5 though. It Just tested changing Guitar Rig 5 to a synth and it too moves to the synth list as expected.
Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/14 08:39:34 (permalink)
hi scook..yeah,,i think i'll upgrade.Looks like the 8.5 won't let my configured to synth plugins in to the synth list. Sonar platinum should be ok,shouldn't it??Have been thinking of trying it for a while(i have it here )..i was going to try this instead of the free bandlab that is available,,but platinum is the one before the latest version isnt it?? 
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/14 11:59:05 (permalink)
Razor59
hi scook..yeah,,i think i'll upgrade.Looks like the 8.5 won't let my configured to synth plugins in to the synth list. Sonar platinum should be ok,shouldn't it??Have been thinking of trying it for a while(i have it here )..i was going to try this instead of the free bandlab that is available,,but platinum is the one before the latest version isnt it?? 

Hi. SONAR is no longer available, as it was killed by Gibson. Cakewalk by bandlab is the new SONAR Platinum (without some of the 3rd party stuff).
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/15 13:16:37 (permalink)
hi scook..again..lol. I installed platinum and i got the cc controllers working(at last). Funny..the vst drop down meny says vst 2(not vst 3). And in the vst 2 drop down menu u can't enable midi output only midi input(as in your video ),,so i configured mvintage as a synth ,created a midi track and there as mvintage as an output ..so i did it. I put in the modwheel as a on/off switch..all good. Only..now the mod wheel hasn't turned off on my keyboard,,that is the mod sound is co,img thru over the rotary fx sound!!!I tried the sustain pedal...same there..when i press down the sustain it keeps on playing..any idea how to fix this one??? Never ending story here...LOL..cheers  ps/any ideas why the vst 3 isnt showing in the drop down menu in mvintage??In the installation ,u could choose vst/vst 3 and aax. No vst2. And when i scanned my plugins the vst 3 file is included
scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/15 15:11:43 (permalink)
Starting with X3 the standard header drop down was changed to show VST2 for VST2 formatted plug-ins and VST3 for VST3 formatted plug-ins. If the drop down shows VST2 it means the VST2 plug-in is loaded. It is possible to change the plug-in layout to show plug-ins by type. This may make selecting the VST3 format easier. The different formats have different icons in the plug-in lists too.

The plug-in is not a synth and does not send MIDI data so, "Enable MIDI Output" is disabled on the VST2/3 drop down. No need to configure plug-in as a synth. All that is needed is "Enable MIDI Input" so the pug-in can receive MIDI data.

Razor59
 I put in the modwheel as a on/off switch..all good. Only..now the mod wheel hasn't turned off on my keyboard,,that is the mod sound is co,img thru over the rotary fx sound!!!I tried the sustain pedal...same there..when i press down the sustain it keeps on playing..any idea how to fix this one???

Not sure I follow this. Please describe in detail. All this thread was originally about was controlling the fast/slow parameter of the MVintageRotary.

Do any of the Melda VST3 show up in the plug-in list? Are you using one of the default "Sort by" plug-in lists or a custom layout imported from the old install?
Razor59
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/15 18:15:26 (permalink)
hi again...not sure i understood you about the vst2 drop down?? How is it possible to change the plugin layout ti vst 3?? R
I installed the vst 3 plugins with melda...but on the the drop down it shows only vst 2. Lost!!Don't understand..The other thing i wrote was ,after i finally got the rotray going with the synth configure..i opened TSS-1 and added an organ..to try the rotary. The mod wheel was working for the on/off ..but my controllers modwheel kept working...sounded weird..i had to go in to edit on tss-1 and take off the mod wheel...i wondered if tss-1 which is a midi plug in synth uses my keyboards mod wheel?? and it was the same with the sustain pedal..
scook
Forum Host
Re: Control Audio Plug-in via MIDI? 2018/09/15 19:07:42 (permalink)
Just for clarity did you really install SONAR Platinum 2017-10 or CbB 2017-08? For now, based on previous posts I am guessing 64bit Platinum 2017-10. I really do not like posting when I do not know exactly what DAW is being discussed.

Plug-in management is a little different than 8.5. You may want to read about the plug-in browser here and here.

WRT 64bit VST3 plug-ins either:
  • they are not installed,
  • they were installed in folder not in the scan path or
  • the scanner crashed before processing the plug-ins.

By default VST3 plug-ins install in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3. While SONAR's scanner will pick them up from any folder in the scan path VST3 plug-ins should always be allowed to go into the VST default folder or a folder under the default. To see if there are any problems with the scanner generate a scan log by holding the SHIFT key while clicking the Scan button in Preferences > File > VST Settings.

If you are trying to play TTS-1 and MVintageRotary at the same time with the same controller you will have to filter the unwanted MIDI data going to TTS-1. One way is add the MIDI Event Filter as shown above to the synth MIDI FX Rack. If using an instrument track the MIDI FX Rack is available on the MIDI tab in the track inspector.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1