Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever

Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
2017/04/06 20:53:23 (permalink)

Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever

I am really beginning to wonder if someone at Cakewalk hates the staff view and wants to sabotage it.
It's now nearly impossible to drag a note, or place a note with the mouse, onto the right part of a beat. 
The snap function doesn't work at all.

Also, why would developers remove the track numbers from the staff view track pane?  That makes it really difficult, when working with many tracks, to correlate the event list and the staff view.

I am running Platinum, March 2017 release.

Finally, no way to reach Cakewalk by phone anymore?   My problem reports go unfixed, my emails go unanswered. 

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com

18 Replies Related Threads

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/06 22:18:45 (permalink)
    jsg
    I am really beginning to wonder if someone at Cakewalk hates the staff view and wants to sabotage it.
    It's now nearly impossible to drag a note, or place a note with the mouse, onto the right part of a beat. 
    The snap function doesn't work at all.

I believe they must... 

Also, why would developers remove the track numbers from the staff view track pane?  That makes it really difficult, when working with many tracks, to correlate the event list and the staff view.

Because they are insane...

I sympathize with you but I gave up at least a decade ago on the staff view. Best of luck.

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/06 22:37:14 (permalink)
    Well Jerry, if you say it's fubar, I believe you. You've never hesitated to spread good news about Sonar and are probably more notation savvy than the majority.

Wish I could help but I'm not sure how to make the Cakewalk folks listen. If you've filed reports describing the problems and they aren't listening then it's a problem for all of us. I have an issue right now that really needs me and a tech guy to be on the phone, but no number to call. To me it's their biggest failure and worse than a bug.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/06 23:23:55 (permalink)
    Jerry,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the latest update.  There was a bit of churn to incorporate the new strips.  
    We appreciate reports on issues and we'll look into resolving them for the next update.

In the interim if it's a blocker for ya, you can rollback to the previous version.
    I'll reach out to ya privately for more details.

Keith

Keith
    noynekker
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/07 02:13:50 (permalink)
    What I don't get is  . . . that if we haven't had any Staff View improvements for such a long time, why are there occasionally staff view bugs creeping in ? Could it be that Staff View is still at the heart of the code, and gets affected by other improvements . . . ie. the recent PRV updates ?

I really hope Staff View is important enough to get some quick fix attention, or there may be a (minor) bit of a churn on the forum.

Personally, I have seen a number of staff view anomalies creep in, but I must admit I'm reluctant to report them since there appears to be no interest in addressing them . . . so I have been assimilated towards the PRV, where there has been more recent coding attention.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Tunerman
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/07 02:34:40 (permalink)
    JSG: "Also, why would developers remove the track numbers from the staff view track pane? "

Just under the treble cleft, on the far left side in tiny print, is the track number. And the track name.
    Still, it should be on the right track view pane, as it has in the past.

Michael

“When I sit at my worm-eaten piano, I envy no king in his happiness" -F.J.Haydn
    Sonar Platinum v22.9.2; W10-64; i7,950,3.06Gz;12GB ram;Korg BX3; Korg M1; Roland FP dp. Two grand pianos: 1929 Steinway M 5'7" &  a 1913 Steinway B  6'11"; Focusrite PRO24 & 18i8; Yamaha NS10M, JBL LRS305.

"Myrna's Love" - Slide show movie of a piano rebuilding process, with original music, recorded using Sonar 8.5.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANU-lrom_Y0

jsg
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/07 05:49:24 (permalink)
    I've done more investigating and discovered a few things.  When inserting a note using the pencil tool, it's not that difficult to place it at the right part of the beat the first time as the snap is "stuck" at 60 (assuming a timebase of 480).  Although with smaller staff sizes, it gets more inaccurate. 

The problem of lassoing and dragging is a bit more complicated.  If you hold the CTRL key and the left mouse button and drag, there's usually not a problem landing on the staff space or line that you want, you have to keep your eye on the black box with the cursor location and try not to be a 32nd note off. 

But if you hold the CTRL key and hold down both mouse buttons, which is what you do when you want Sonar to take into account chromatic, rather than diatonic, movement, things get more messy.  Say you are dragging to the right a group of notes beginning on E-flat.  Drag it to the next measure, with both mouse buttons pressed (the left should be pressed slightly before the right button) and if you notice the cursor in the black box, you'll see only diatonic notes, but when you let go at the beat and note value you want, Sonar will make that note chromatic.  There is a logic to this because that's what the 2-button mouse press is for: chromatic notes.  But because the cursor box shows only diatonic notes, it gets very confusing. 

These issues are not as bad as my OP, I hadn't investigated it deeply enough at the time as I was in the middle of composing.  The immediate bug fix is that the cursor should reflect the movement between say, e and e-flat, or f and f#.  That would made dragging much easier.  The other issue is that the snap feature should have the option to match the snap to the note length, albeit with the ability to easily override this.  Then Sonar's staff view will be much better midi editing and sequencing tool.

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

jsg
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/07 05:51:09 (permalink)
    Tunerman
    JSG: "Also, why would developers remove the track numbers from the staff view track pane? "

Just under the treble cleft, on the far left side in tiny print, is the track number. And the track name.
    Still, it should be on the right track view pane, as it has in the past.

Michael

Yes, true, and the font types and sizes are adjustable, to a point.  But taking them away from the staff view track pane makes no sense at all.  They are much easier to see. 
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/09 00:50:59 (permalink)
    Hey Jerry,  I know you are a big staff/Sonar guy so trying to give you ideas is something not easily done...you've probably tried every which way and do the things you do for a reason.

BUT...so I have much better luck opening up PRV and staff view at the same time.  I edit in PRV and look at the results in Staff View.  And with the new PRV updates it just works phenomenally for me.  On One Monitor i have the Staff View, on another right below it I have Multidock Console/Piano Roll View.  It just works so well for me.  Staff View by itself is just too frustrating for me. Being able to see big chunks of the score at once and bounce between tracks in PRV....I'm in heaven.  What would be really cool is if we could swap the Piano Keys on the left with staff lines....man that would make me happy,

ANYWAY...good luck, I hope it gets sorted for you.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/10 14:25:24 (permalink)
    "Being able to see big chunks of the score at once"

On your second monitor with the Staff view, open the Print Preview. That will allow you to see the entire score, or any selected tracks and be able to change pages.
    Of course, you won't be able to edit the print preview, but anything you do in the Staff view or PRV, or record into a track will be reflected in the PP.
    Or, I'm misunderstanding what you mean, a problem I have that has been pointed out by many women.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/10 14:49:48 (permalink)
    Jimbo 88
    ... I have much better luck opening up PRV and staff view at the same time.  I edit in PRV and look at the results in Staff View. 

Thank you for sharing this tip; I'll try it.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    jsg
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/10 18:20:03 (permalink)
    57Gregy
    "Being able to see big chunks of the score at once"

On your second monitor with the Staff view, open the Print Preview. That will allow you to see the entire score, or any selected tracks and be able to change pages.
    Of course, you won't be able to edit the print preview, but anything you do in the Staff view or PRV, or record into a track will be reflected in the PP.
    Or, I'm misunderstanding what you mean, a problem I have that has been pointed out by many women.

A much better solution is to use tabs and have as many notation editor views as you need.  For example, the piece I'm currently working on has 7 tabs:  winds, brass, percussion, synths, orchestral strings. chamber strings and mixed (mixed is whatever instruments I need to see at that moment). 

To quickly move from screen to screen, just select the tab you need and all the instruments for that group are there, ready for editing and/or input.  The instruments within the tab are memorized, so are the staff sizes, which might be different for each tabbed view.

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

BASSIC Productions
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/12 11:33:30 (permalink)
    I'm glad so many people offer work arounds for Staff View.  I am also a musician/composer that relies on actual musical notation for writing... of course, I don't do this in Sonar until I am in post production because it is very difficult to see the music correctly and to edit actual notes in a phrase to make sense.  We all know you can right click the notes and modify them or use the pencil tool with various weird settings to put new events into the staff.  I'm not going to get suckered into a discussion here.

I would just ask Sonar, as I do know some info feeds up the pipeline from the forum... COULD YOU AT LEAST DUPLICATE THE TOOL SELECTION IN THE STAFF VIEW?  COULD YOU SHOW THE CURRENT NOTE VALUE OF THE PENCIL TOOL IN THIS WINDOW?  I know all the work arounds so I don't need a lesson.  It just seems that if this information is already available, this could help us save a little time in our workflow.
    Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/13 14:53:07 (permalink)
    Just sending a note that we hear you guys, and we're trying to figure out a way to make this better.

Alex Westner
    VP Product Strategy & Innovation

Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/13 17:14:45 (permalink)
    Very Cool...thank you Alex.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/13 19:40:52 (permalink)
    Snap stopped working for me and it is killing me.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    konradh
    Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3325
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/13 19:42:03 (permalink)
    +1 everything jsg said about copy/past and cut/paste.

Konrad
    Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/13 19:43:53 (permalink)
    But at least they hear you.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Unbelievable, Notation Editor now Worse than Ever 2017/04/13 19:57:44 (permalink)
    Don't worry, it's more than just hearing. Keep your fingers crossed.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1