Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR?

Author
Samuel540
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
2017/04/10 07:04:39 (permalink)

Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR?

I've always been annoyed with the way SONAR handles sustain pedal events... Editing sustain pedal controls haven't gotten any easier (at least for me) with this new annoying bar thingy instead of something less tedious like nodes... but anyway...

Recently, I muted a clip that has MIDI data with sustain pedal events in it, so I can play (with my keyboard controller) the piano instrument track to come up with new ideas but while the notes in the clip are muted, the sustain pedal controls are still active so, my performance gets interrupted by the sustain pedal events in the muted clip.

This is something that should be fixed, right?
post edited by Samuel540 - 2017/04/13 18:06:40

Daryl Samuel
StarBlu Entertainment
SONAR Platinum | NI Komplete 10 Ultimate | RME Babyface Pro | Focusrite ISA One | AKG C414 XLII | NI Maschine MKII | Roland A-800PRO | Roland MC-505 Groovebox | Lexicon MX200 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i7-3770 | Corsair 16GB 1600MHz

9 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/10 11:09:00 (permalink)
    I remember already on Sonar 4 twelve years ago I and many reported how even muted clips sustain pedal event came through, got some really weird cut notes I did not understand first.

So controllers were handled differently than notes, somehow.

Haven't used Sonar for two years now, don't know if still something strange there.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/10 13:24:05 (permalink)
    Interesting. I have never experienced that, but I'd think I would have.

Some of my projects are in support of the virtual instrument reviews that I write. That involves recording short segments that may be either concatenated or exported individually for inclusion in the article as audio samples. It means I'll have the same instrument instantiated many times on different tracks, with all but one of them muted at any given time. If all those muted tracks' pedal events (or any other CC's) were still being actively processed, it would make my process impossible.

The difference may be that I don't use Instrument Tracks. Hypothesis: maybe on an instrument track the mute button applies specifically to the audio? Just a hypothesis.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/10 21:04:26 (permalink)
    I can think of many reasons why I might want MIDI notes muted but not continuous controller data occupying the same clip/time period.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/10 22:01:40 (permalink)
    Perhaps there should be two mutes, one for notes one for controllers

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/10 23:42:03 (permalink)
    Ah, I see what the OP was talking about. When you mute the clip, any CCs within that timeframe continue to be processed. Most users would reasonably expect CCs to be considered part of the clip, since a clip is defined as a sequence of MIDI events between two points along the timeline. SONAR reinforces that assumption, e.g. if you slide a clip any CCs within it will follow along. It would be logical, then, to expect CCs to be muted along with the clip.

However, it should be noted that the concept of muting continuous controllers does not exist in the MIDI spec, only notes.

In fact, clips and clip mutes are also not part of the MIDI spec. Those constructs exist entirely within the DAW, and can thus be implemented any way the DAW designer sees fit. So whether the behavior described by the OP is a bug or not depends entirely on what Cakewalk intended when they originally invented the clip-mute feature. You'd have to ask Greg Hendershott about that.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/11 10:32:13 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    Ah, I see what the OP was talking about. When you mute the clip, any CCs within that timeframe continue to be processed.

I've never seen this behavior in Pro Audio 9, Sonar 4, X3 or Splat.
    In my experience muting a clip totally mutes anything in the clip.

I just tested this in X3 and it is not the case.
    Muting a clip, with the mute tool, with CC64 in it also mutes the CC64.
    The way I know is that my Pianoteq piano has a visual of the pedal that moves up and down when it is seeing CC64
    and with a muted clip the pedal doesn't move.
    Same result when the clip is highlighted and I type a K. I assume the K is the same as mute.

My suspicion is that the controllers that aren't being muted are in a different take than the notes and that controller take isn't being muted alont with the take that has the notes in it.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    lfm
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/11 20:54:13 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl

My suspicion is that the controllers that aren't being muted are in a different take than the notes and that controller take isn't being muted alont with the take that has the notes in it.

In my case that was not it. Two different takes where I muted one, and got strange cut off notes on the new take at playback. Only way to get rid of it was to drag muted clip to another track not pointing to this instrument.
    I also remember Susan G acknowledged this at some time like 10 years ago when a third person mentioned something on this.
    If it appeared on Features and Ideas I don't remember. It might be on forum archive still.

So something is common with current Sonar and those days it seems - in how controller #64 might be handled.

Knowing about it and no problem to work around it though.
    I used to make new takes on different tracks, and instead of muting point to no instrument.

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/11 20:58:34 (permalink)
    lfm
    Two different takes

It might be the "takes" conscept. I never use comping. It's always seemed tedious to me.
    I always stay in sound on sound and just blast away,
    CTRL+Z to get rid of the last one and re do until I like it ...
    ... and if by change I'm note sure if I can top what I just did, I clone the track and mute it.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    lfm
    Re: Is anyone happy working with sustain pedal data in SONAR? 2017/04/12 17:47:43 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl
    lfm
    Two different takes

It might be the "takes" conscept. I never use comping. It's always seemed tedious to me.
    I always stay in sound on sound and just blast away,
    CTRL+Z to get rid of the last one and re do until I like it ...
    ... and if by change I'm note sure if I can top what I just did, I clone the track and mute it.

It was just two recordings, serving to be like takes - muting first manually, and do another recording.

I even did on different track, create a new track and mute the other one.
    Not the named "takes" feature, looping or so.
    But as long as a muted clip/track was assigned to same VST instrument, CC#64 could influence.

It was a coincidence that I discovered it, since one take pedal just happend to be used on a spot that cut off notes on currently playing. I think I spent an hour or so looking for other things, before thinking about muted stuff.

A bit strange if it still is there as OP posted - if exactly the same thing.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1