Helpful ReplyBuilding a DAW - don't forget the video card!

Author
garrett.scroggin
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2017/04/13 15:45:35 (permalink)

Building a DAW - don't forget the video card!

I started attempting the DAW thing back in the early 90's on a color Macintosh PowerBook with a MOTU interface for MIDI. Since then it's pretty much always been self-built towers until about 2 years ago when I tried to give laptops a serious try. Something I've admittedly not given much thought to since moving to laptops for DAWs is video processing. I do my gaming and movie watching on a Xbox, don't use my DAW for anything else crazy, so why would I need great video performance? Unfortunately as of late I've found I need to start caring more, to the tune of getting a new laptop, so I'm sharing this with you in hopes it helps someone else.

What I've discovered through a ton of digging (due to several performance issues) is that your video card can actually play a huge factor on overall system performance, at least in Windows 10. On the one hand this seems profoundly obvious, OTOH it bugs me that I didn't think this through the first time. Since upgrading my Acer Aspire Ultrabook to Windows 10 (from 8.1), I started having a variety of performance issues. The problems got worse when I upgraded to Sonar Platinum from X3. Projects that I had previously run on both a desktop (with "slower" procs) and the same laptop in Win 8.1 were barfing all the time. I was a bit confused at first as it's really a decent machine in general; i7 4500U w/ 4 MB cache (scales from 1.8 to ~2.7 mHz), 8 GB RAM, primary SSD, offloading additional projects to the well respected Corsair Flash Voyager GTX. I did the usual; started digging around for different drivers, changing BIOS settings, ASIO vs. others, latency settings, running performance utilities to see what was going on, etc. I started noticing that things were particularly bad when docked to my USB 3 port replicator (Plugable UD-3900), which I primarily use for connecting two 27" monitors via DVI. In fairness I hadn't pushed the laptop all that hard when it was on 8.1 though as I was still migrating away from my tower, which was older but a beast by comparison.

Long story short, the whole thing has come down to one issue; the on-board Intel HD Graphics 4400. It has a tiny bit of on-board memory (128 MB) and then uses shared system resources to scale to ~1.7 GB. This is pretty common for the ultrabook format, and apparently especially for systems that support 10 point touch. The result is that nearly everything I do in any application starts immediately pulling resources from the CPU because the GPU can't keep up. The tell-tale sign (besides looking at Task Manager or other utlities) is that the tiny fan will kick in to overdrive immediately. It seems to be worse when relying on the DisplayLink driver to bridge between the USB dock, but the issue is definitely still there otherwise, it just gets magnified. Using a utilities like ThrottleStop and Full Throttle Override only delay the evenitble briefly, though do a little to help distribute the load across virtual logical processors. Another thing that helps slightly is the Plug-in load balancing available in Platinum. It's actually amazing how quickly the whole audio engine can come to a halt by just touching the mouse or the screen during playback of a decent sized project (e.g. 8 audio tracks, 10 MIDI tracks, two instances of IK Kontakt, IK Guitar Rig, some AAS plug-ins.)

Based on all this, and because I still want to keep my primary DAW in laptop form for mobility (using multiple external audio interfaces), I'm now considering the following machines (trying to keep it under $1500):

HP Pavilion 17 Gamer
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
RAM: 32GB DDR4-2133MHz
Hard Drive: 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5
Display: 17.3" Full HD IPS UWVA anti-glare WLED-backlit Touchscreen Display (1920 x 1080)

MSI GL72 7RD-028
RAM: 16GB (16GB x1) DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive: 128GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200rpm
Graphics Card: NVIDIA's GTX 1050 2G GDDR5
Display: 17.3" Full HD eDP Non-Reflection 1920x1080

MSI GE72VR Apache Pro-447
RAM: 32GB DDR4-2400MHz
Hard Drive: 256GB M.2 NVMe 2280 SSD + 1TB 7200rpm
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
Display: 17.3" FHD (16:9) Super Clear Matte-Type IPS Screen (1920x1080)

MSI GP72 Leopard Pro-402
RAM: 32GB DDR4-2400MHz
Hard Drive: 512GB M.2 NVMe 2280 SSD + 500GB 2.5" SSD
Graphics Card: NNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti 2GB GDDR5
Display: 17.3-inch Full HD Display (1920 x 1080)

I'm still doing some hunting around but these seem to be the best back for the buck under $1500, while avoiding systems with known issues (like the Asus ROG). I've never been a fan of HP desktop or laptops, but the specs on the one above are really impressive for the money. I'll report back once I pick one and run my existing projects on it. In the meantime any constructive feedback is most welcome :-)

post edited by garrett.scroggin - 2017/04/13 16:36:33
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/13 18:53:59 (permalink)
It is generally not so much the"quality" of the video subsystem the screws with your audio, as the priority video is given relative to other activity. Contemporary computers are generally designed for people who are using them for anything but computation, and primarily for displaying video content. So the average user wants a machine that never glitches on display. Typically the audio demand is limited to one stereo stream. To accommodate that market it is common to lock the video system into a high priority, so that conflicts with a demanding application that does not primarily engage the graphics, will be resolved by making the one that is not graphics intensive wait until the graphics are delivered. That is a recipe for problems with a high demand audio application. Buying a more expensive graphics adapter or one that smokes on a graphics benchmark may not solve the problem if it sucks up resources from your critical application. 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/14 00:11:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby garrett.scroggin 2017/04/14 13:40:38
Under normal use a GPU shouldn't need a very large memory footprint to support 2-D graphics.

I have a cheap Acer Aspire, with Intel HD Graphics 4400, that runs Sonar Platinum and Windows 10.  It's not my main DAW, but it doesn't seem to struggle like you describe.

My Acer Aspire is a E5-571-588M with 4th Gen Processor Model i5-4210U (dual core).  Processor Speed 1.70 GHz Cache 3 MB 64-bit Processing (turbo to 2.7 Ghz).  Memory 4 GB DDR3L SDRAM.

With that conservative number of tracks you are using in Sonar, performance should not be an issue.

If things go south when you move your mouse, it's likely that something else besides graphics is acting up.

When I run LatencyMon http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon on my systems, I frequently notice the USB port driver having one of the highest DPC counts, meaning it is keeping the CPU busy frequently. 

You might find some clues if you dig around in that tool.  Or maybe try a process of elimination starting by unplugging that USB port replicator, or anything else external that you have connected, to see if you still experience the same symptoms.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/14 10:45:15 (permalink)
I recently built a new PC, a tower not a laptop, and using the Intel HD Graphics 530 with my i7 6700K CPU.  I have the latest Win 10 Creators upgrade.  There is no deterioration or system/Sonar Platinum issues because of the video I'm using.  Even the 3D introduced with the Creators upgrade works.   

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
garrett.scroggin
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/14 13:41:28 (permalink)
abacab
Under normal use a GPU shouldn't need a very large memory footprint to support 2-D graphics...

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check into this. You obviously have a very similar spec to my current machine.
abacab
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/14 14:13:01 (permalink)
garrett.scroggin
abacab
Under normal use a GPU shouldn't need a very large memory footprint to support 2-D graphics...

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check into this. You obviously have a very similar spec to my current machine.

I will just add that my desktop DAW is running two monitors with 3rd gen Intel Core HD Graphics 2500 just fine (one HDMI, one DVI).  Everything is fluid and smooth, no lagging or video artifacts, with no unusual spikes in CPU usage.  No audio dropouts either, unless I crank the ASIO buffers down below 256.

Recently I was trying to troubleshoot another intermittent freezing issue with my system (annoying, like twice a week), after I installed Windows 10.  At first I thought it may be bad RAM, so I tested thoroughly, and it was clean.

Then I thought maybe the HD 2500 drivers may be too old for Win 10, so I threw in a GeForce GTX 950 with the latest drivers.  Still had the same problem, so that wasn't it.  While the benchmarks with the GTX 950 for gaming 3D were impressive even with my CPU, I could tell no difference in DAW performance from the HD 2500.  So I pulled the GTX and sent it to my living room PC, and went back to the HD 2500 for the DAW, no regrets.

It turned out to be my Netgear USB Wi-Fi adapter drivers causing the freezing issue.  To test this I deleted the drivers, unplugged the dongle, and installed another brand with a different chipset.  No more problems.  Then I found a newer driver for the original adapter.  Tried them and all is well now.  So it can be something as simple as a driver version, but sometimes you have to rule everything out to discover what it is.

garrett.scroggin
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/21 15:32:01 (permalink)
abacab

...It turned out to be my Netgear USB Wi-Fi adapter drivers causing the freezing issue.  To test this I deleted the drivers, unplugged the dongle, and installed another brand with a different chipset.  No more problems.  Then I found a newer driver for the original adapter.  Tried them and all is well now.  So it can be something as simple as a driver version, but sometimes you have to rule everything out to discover what it is.

Thanks for the info, I will definitely check this out as well!
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/21 16:31:35 (permalink)
While 2D graphics is not "intensive," it is true that a GPU (even a cost-efficient one) will ease load on the CPU simply because the information is "thrown over the wall" to be processed on the GPU. Even the high-end GPU's do not have much 2D advantage over their cheaper counterparts... they are geared around 3D performance. DAWs are primarily 2D, so a simple GPU would suffice to ease CPU loading (plus video is not as critical about dropping frames at high speed, or getting that data "back").

The only real caveat to a higher GPU is for 3D or video processing where CUDA can be employed... in that situation, video processing is sent to the GPU and expected back intact (Adobe has used this with NVIDIA cards for years now).

Another reference is http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ to check performance versus price. Realize that this is an overall test listing and that the 2D performance between cards is negligible... I couldn't find a quick listing of just 2D testing, but there may be one available.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/21 17:03:04 (permalink)
I have run my last 4 computer builds using AMD CPU's with built-in graphics, and run two displays in Sonar with no performance issues whatsoever.  The primary display uses the HDMI port, and the other one uses the DVI output from the computer - with an HDMI connector on the other end of the cable, running into the 2nd display.

I used to have a 3rd display, running with a VGA cable.

I saved enough money in each build to upgrade other components, such as memory or hard drive storage.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
abacab
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/21 17:20:47 (permalink)
I tried a GeForce GTX 950 in my system and saw no DAW performance difference between that an the onboard Intel HD 2500 graphics.  My CPU never redlines, so it has many cycles to spare.  No need to offload anything.

A system only benefits from graphics hardware acceleration if the app is coded to take advantage of it.  In most cases the integrated GPU stuff today is far advanced over the crap they used to sell.  It is now on par with a low end discrete PCIe GPU based on benchmarks that I have seen and run.

interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/23 21:05:33 (permalink)
I was looking to get a Pali GTX 1050Ti Fanless card. Silence and I don't play games. As long as I have airflow through the case, I don't need the added noise.

I did notice some come with a PWM fan which turns on when a certain temperature is reached however that's not a concern of mine.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/25 18:59:49 (permalink)
interpolated
I was looking to get a Pali GTX 1050Ti Fanless card. Silence and I don't play games. As long as I have airflow through the case, I don't need the added noise.

I did notice some come with a PWM fan which turns on when a certain temperature is reached however that's not a concern of mine.

I took MSI one. It has 2 fans but they turning in case of hard gaming or CUDA 3D rendering only. At least I do not have to think it will be overheated. While "low end", it still can produce 75+ W heat under load. I mean something in the system has to take this heat away. Normally "fanless" solutions (for GPU/CPU/PSU) run the hardware with hi temperature (since there is nothing taking the heat away locally). Theoretically, the hardware is able to work at that temperatures. But practically that is known factor which reduce the lifetime.

But in case you don't play games, why you need a kind of gaming card? As CUDA renderer it is not perfect, without 3D it is the same as $30 fanless NVIDIA (and as was mentioned the same as the latest build-in GPU) but much bigger in size (and price)...

I periodically play relatively old game. That was the primary reason I took it (I also render on it since my desktop CPU is many years old).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
interpolated
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/25 19:05:15 (permalink)
I do need a decent gpu. I used an onboard Integrated graphics before alas I kept get screen tears and underwhelming performance under 2d.

I will have case fans so it won't be completely devoid of fans.

I have computer stuff.

elsongs
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 11:33:53 (permalink)
My general rule when building a DAW computer: You don't need the fastest video card, but NEVER use the motherboard's on-board video adaptor.

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
Web: www.elsongs.com
Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
abacab
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 11:54:29 (permalink)
elsongs
My general rule when building a DAW computer: You don't need the fastest video card, but NEVER use the motherboard's on-board video adaptor.

The motherboard has no video adapter.  It is built into the CPU, if that feature is present at all.  Intel HD Graphics or AMD APU for example ...

interpolated
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 12:42:26 (permalink)
In my case (sic.), the chipset has an onboard Radeon 4200 IGP which is not bad however does share memory (UMA) and basically gives me less RAM. Also I run at 1920x1080 all of the time, so I need pretty good graphics especially when I undock Windows onto my TV screen.

Dedicated graphics means you never need to care about those resources unless you are indeed a gamer. As it goes, most current GPU's are beyond requirement even for modern games.

I have computer stuff.

abacab
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 13:14:36 (permalink)
interpolated
In my case (sic.), the chipset has an onboard Radeon 4200 IGP which is not bad however does share memory (UMA) and basically gives me less RAM. Also I run at 1920x1080 all of the time, so I need pretty good graphics especially when I undock Windows onto my TV screen.

Dedicated graphics means you never need to care about those resources unless you are indeed a gamer. As it goes, most current GPU's are beyond requirement even for modern games.

I wasn't aware that AMD apparently made a few chipsets with Radeon graphics.  Have always built with Intel, so not really familiar with AMD architecture.

But recently looked into pricing out AMD components for a new build. Must have overlooked the 8 and 9 series G chipsets ...

interpolated
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 18:18:37 (permalink)
To be fair, it's an old motherboard which I am having to retire due to lack of available hardware and replaceable parts in time. Also I want to take advantage of newer hardware.

I have computer stuff.

abacab
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 18:34:56 (permalink)
How does 4096x2304 sound? 

Intel® HD Graphics 530

https://ark.intel.com/pro...M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/27 22:27:18 (permalink)
The Intel Iris Pro 6200 can easily run 4096x2304.

The much older (in computing terms) mobile version of the i7 HD4000 graphics can run 2880x1800 and a 1920x1080p (and larger) screen at the same time without breaking into a sweat.

Dedicated gpu cards come into their own for more demanding gaming and the rare applications that use the gpu and its RAM for computational purposes,

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
abacab
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/28 00:19:11 (permalink)
Just out of curiosity I opened up Sonar and loaded several soft synths (Hybrid, TAL Elektro, Addictive Drums, and Cthulhu) as well as several plugins with graphic displays (Voxengo Span, CA-2A, LP-MB. Melda MOscilloscope, and Pancake2). 

My baseline graphics properties looks like this (Intel HD Graphics 2500):

Using GPU-Z my graphics memory use looks like this while running Sonar:

So my dedicated video RAM is 32 MB, but while running Sonar, it seems to average below 200 MB.  It looks like the graphics adapter could allocate up to 1.792 GB RAM, but that is unlikely just using a DAW. 

So that still is not a very big chunk of my system memory... no worries!

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Building a DAW - don't forget the video card! 2017/04/28 02:32:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/04/28 15:50:25
I have been very happy with prior builds with Intel innards, and also very happy with current and last 4 builds with AMD innards.

I get GREAT bang for the buck going the AMD route, and have no performance or reliability issues with AMD, and also had none with Intel builds.

On-board graphics for me with a high-end AMD CPU has been a winning combo for me for years now.  My last Intel build used an i7-2600k. and my current build uses an AMD A10-7850k CPU, and with the money saved I got 32 GB of memory and an SSD primary drive.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1