Helpful ReplyLooking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations?

Author
M.G.
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
2017/04/14 17:17:22 (permalink)

Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations?

Hi - I'm just getting back into recording after almost a decade off.  I'm trying to adjust to Sonar X3 (but that's another thread!).  The audio interface I bought a couple years ago doesn't seem to work well with my system.  It's a Lexicon Alpha and I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.  I tried updating the drivers, etc but no luck.

If the Lex Alpha can't be used on my system, does anyone have a recommended AI (preferably around $100).  I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and the Roland Tri-Captive.  I was leaning towards the Focusrite but noticed the Roland comes with Sonar X1 LE - not that I would ever use it, but maybe it works well with Cakewalk/Sonar DAWs?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/14 18:07:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby M.G. 2017/04/16 04:47:52
No the Roland interfaces have driver issues if your read around this forum. 

There is only one interface worthwhile that is $100 and that is the Focusrite Solo. 
For $50 more there are a few more choices, the 2i2 , 2i4 , Tascam 2x2 and the Stienberg ??22. 

As you have already learned it is best to avoid brands without good ASIO driver support.  
But don't cheap out on the audio interface. It's the most important purchase you'll make for recording with a DAW. 
The Tascams do come with Sonar LE but if you already have X3 that's next to useless. I have LE and even Home Studio is much better. But the TAscam 2x2 has the best list of features at the $150 price point. 

http://www.cactusmusic.ca/Recording.htm#AI Shopping List

There is a lot of choices.
Make a list of your requirements first then start shopping. .
What kind of connectivity do you require? and how many of each.
These are some of the connection options:
XLR, 1/4" TS, 1/4"TRS, Combi jacks,  RCA, ¼” line level, ¼” Instrument level, MIDI, SPDIF,  ADAT, MADI  Word Clock.
How many ins and outs do you think you'll need now and in the future?
Are they accessible?  Front or rear panel or both?
Are the ¼” jacks Balanced?  

Is there a true stereo pair? Some don’t have a matched set of inputs which rules out using a pair of mikes on an Acoustic guitar,  drum overheads or recording a stereo source like a hardware synth.
Most interfaces have at least 2 matched combi jacks on the front which is my preference. They can handle just about anything including  XLR and guitar cables. I also think 4 inputs is minimum as it's great not to have to always swap out cables. The extra 2 can be back panel TRS.  If like me you play a few different instruments then having a dedicated input for each is the way to go. If you don't plan on recording bands and your only going to be recording 2 or 3 tracks at once then a 4 channel interface is all you need. You can always add more dedicated inputs buy purchasing a small mixer. If you are going to record a group or band, then 8 XLR inputs will be minimum.

Pre Amps are very important and choosing the quality of your needs will take a bit of research.  The “you get what you pay for”  rule applies here, but check out the reviews and keep in mind that if you have those back panel TRS jacks you can always add a hardware pre amp latter. If pre amps are high on your list then look at the $400 plus range. 
Having SPDIF is a nice option as a lot of powered monitors now have digital inputs. Only down side is the monitor control knob on the front panel probably won't control your control room level. On my 2 interfaces SPDIF input does not have direct monitoring either.
If you have other gear that supports the various multi channel digital formats like MADI or ADAT then you'll defiantly be requiring those options as in/outs.
Old school MIDI ports are now often replaced with MIDI over USB but if you plan on using any older midi equipment make sure you have this option.
I like to have 4 outputs. Main 1/2  to monitors, 3/4 I run to a small mixer I use for monitoring.  If your thinking about recording a group of musicians  then you will need more outputs or headphone mixes. Most multi output interfaces come with GUI based mixing software that facilitates complicated cue mixes. There are also many complaints about the learning curve for using this software so pay attention to reviews.

Word Clock- A lot of big studios use a central word clock like Apogee ensemble. You probably won't be reading this article if you already understand word clock. But it's important to to pro's so now you know.. 

A/D convertors are generally good these days. There would seem to be a diminished return formula at play as the ones that claim highest quality are $$$$$. How much better those will make your recordings is anyone's guess. Myself converters are low on my list of major concerns as I think even a $100 interface will be performing at a level that meets my needs. 

Are there peak level meters or just a little LED for each input?  I hate little lights, but that's seems to be standard.
Are there channel Insert jacks?  This is a must if you desire a hardware compressor or EQ. You can also tap into this to run the signal to a monitor/ headphone  mixer. 

Are there separate controls for Monitor level and headphone level? This is super important. People who miss this end up having to fork over an extra $100 for a "Big Knob"
Is there a blend control on the front panel for mixing Source with Computer ( DAW) ? Sometimes this is Software based only. This might be important to you to balance the input signal with the playback. I use my small mixer.

How many Headphone jacks? A level for each?

Are the input pads or line / Instrument toggle switches on the front, back or software controlled?

Is it a metal box or cheap plastic? Is it light and portable or large and bulky, Size matters. Some are to bulky to pack in a laptop bag. If you never going anywhere then Rack-mount is nice. 

Does it have an on / off switch? Nice to not have to unplug the wall wart.
Does it use Buss power or an AC power supply? Buss power can have issues with noise and Phantom power. I myself would avoid any interface that does not have an optional AC power supply.   
Does it have DSP effects built in? Certainly a worthwhile option if you plan on using the interface as a live mixer. My next interface I'm looking at is a Motu that serves double duty as a live digital mixer.
Does it use a GUI mixer? Having a software (GUI) mixer adds more options. And once again with brands like the Motu you now have Tablet / iPad remote mixing capabilities which for live sound in ears and studio headphone mixes is pretty slick. 
Can it be used as stand alone? Some interfaces are also handy as a small mixer.

What are the Round Trip Latency (RTL) specs? Do you need low RTL for real time processing?
Low RTL is going to be at a higher price point. A $200 interface will have hidden buffers etc and score higher latency. If you wish to use Guitar Sims your going to want to spend more money and get your RTL down to below at least 5ms. Best performers are brand like Motu and RME.
Zero Latency monitoring is not the same as RTL. All interfaces have some latency. 
Zero latency is just marketing hype for monitoring directly from the interface.
And most important of all, Does it have top notch drivers for your OS. 
What is the word on support from the company?
Does it come with free software, An LE version of a  DAW you would like to try?  Free plug ins?

Everyone will recommend the interface they have chosen, that doesn't mean it is the right one for you.

Sit down and make a list of your desires and then go on web sites like Sweetwater and read reviews and specs. Also a good idea to visit the web sites of the major bands and see what's new. Careful of outdated gear.

post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/04/17 15:24:05

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

M.G.
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/14 19:25:23 (permalink)
Johnny V - thanks for your reply!  I chose $100 as an approximate price but $150-$200 is not an issue.

I haven't considered half of what you listed... some requirements I have:
- I'm pretty sure the only inputs I'll need are XLR and 1/4"
- I would like two stereo outputs
- USB (I don't think I need a power supply, vocals will go through a tube preamp)
- Latency has been an issue in the past... as close to zero RTL as possible

I think those are the key features I'm looking for.

I see you have the 6i6... are you happy with Focusrite?

Thanks again!

M.G.
www.reverbnation.com/bitd

post edited by M.G. - 2017/04/16 18:10:26
Cactus Music
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/14 23:46:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby M.G. 2017/04/15 16:27:53
If you read what I say, RTL and zero latency monitoring are 2 different things. Example 
Almost every interface under $500 will have zero latency monitoring. 
That's because your listening via hardware to your input and the computer output. 
But if you monitor via the computer only ( Sonars input echo on)  you will hear your systems latency. = Round trip Latency ( RTL)
Your input signal has to be processed by the A/D converter, the USB system and then the ASIO driver. It then goes  through the DAW's processing ( Plug ins etc)  and back via USB and the D/A converters. Each part adds latency. The audio drivers are paramount in reducing RTL. 
So at best with brands like RME or Motu you can get down to very low RTL but any interface under $500 is going to be more than double what the top performers offer. Most come in at about 7ms RTL. A big part of this is most low end interfces use Hidden Buffers. 
So a budget of $200 is not going to give you super low RTL. The top performers get as low as around 2 ms RTL. This is also system dependant. Your not going to get this with a Duo Core P4.
 That said- Low RTL is only important to people using things that depend on this like Guitar Sims or playing live VST. 
Myself my Scarlett 6i6 is a medium performer and gets at best 7ms RTL. This does not bother me in any way as I don't use Guitar Sims. The 6i6 performs perfectly for all I do with Sonar. 
SO that's why I say in my list that you'll have to decide if low RTL is important to you. If it is then your certainly looking at RME or Motu interfaces and $500. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/15 14:32:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby M.G. 2017/04/15 16:27:57
Cactus Music

There is only one interface worthwhile that is $100 and that is the Focusrite Solo. 
For $50 more there are a few more choices, the 2i2 , 2i4 , Tascam 2x2 and the Stienberg ??22. 

Steinberg has dropped the prices on its interfaces. The UR12 and UR22mk2 are now $75 and $130 respectively. 

I'm a big Steinberg fan, and at the OP's budget, I'd recommend the UR242 ($170) which uses an AC adapter and has onboard effects.  Next one down is also popular: the UR22mk2, bus-powered and no onboard effects.

Agree with all the other stuff in the post -- good, detailed advice on what to consider.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Cactus Music
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/15 15:34:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby M.G. 2017/04/15 16:27:59
That's good to know . I like Stienberg too,  it's  really a Yamaha. I was in a band and our Yamaha mixer used the Sienberg ASIO drivers. Seemed very dependable. 
I would not buy a Buss powered only interface. It's better if they have at least the option of A/C power like the Tascam 2x2 ( and the one you mentioned) the Scarlett's don't have that. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

M.G.
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/15 16:37:11 (permalink)
Johnny V/JonD - thanks for your input.  It sounds like I should add A/C power to my list of wants.

I don't use Guitar Sims either so probably 7ms latency is fine.  My system is a self-built quad core (AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4GHz with 8 GB RAM).

I will look into the Tascams and Steinberg you guys recommended.  I think many online music companies (Musician's Friend etc) plus Guitar Center have holiday weekend specials now... I'll see if I can get 10-15% off the list price.

Thanks again!

M.G.
www.reverbnation.com/bitd

post edited by M.G. - 2017/04/16 18:09:44
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Looking for reasonably priced audio interface - recommendations? 2017/04/15 20:49:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby M.G. 2017/04/16 18:08:32
The Tascam unit is the US  series which share the same drivers, so the in-house driver writers keep coming up with improvements.  That being said, the 20x20 uses USB III and gets better latency, but is closer to $500.

Tascam does have a new cheaper interface in the series but with one line input and one mic input.  It probably is imaginatively named the US 1X2.  They also have a 4x4 (all-wheel drive preamps!) unit tho it is, again, more expensive.

Good hunting.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1