Helpful ReplyUSB DAC on a laptop

Author
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2017/04/16 00:25:46 (permalink)

USB DAC on a laptop

Now that I can use Cakewalk Platinum with WASAPI Exclusive drivers, my next problem to solve is that the headphone plugin on my laptop renders poor quality audio. I found a device that may solve this, but wonder if it's just a gimmick or the real thing ?

It's a small portable digital to audio converter that plugs into the headphone jack, acting as a pre amp, that supposedly increases the fidelity of the headphone jack . . . also increases the fidelity input to external speakers ?

Has anyone used one of these ? The one I'm looking at online is the Dragonfly Series by Audioquest.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 02:25:16 (permalink)
So it is gonna convert a lesser analog headphone signal from your built-in card to digital, then back into analog and then boost the signal.  The fidelity will be less after another round of ADDA and, at best, you'll send the same lesser signal to your headphones. While there may be some volume advantage with a stronger amp, it is the same quality signal (at best) that your built-in card gave you since that is where the signal still originates from. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 02:55:22 (permalink)
I think that some laptops come equipped with an analogue and optical digital headphone socket so it would be D to A and not A to D to A

Perhaps the OP could confirm...

Edit: just to clarify, I mean on the same connection. I have a mini disc player that has this kind of connection and I am pretty certain that my CLEVO laptop does.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
synkrotron
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 03:03:53 (permalink)
Ah... Wait a minute... I just googled audioquest dragonfly and all is clear now. Sounds interesting and might indeed work, but I am assuming that you would have to set it up to work as an audio device just like any USB audio interface

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 14:56:21 (permalink)
I don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining about laptop headphone jack producing unusable sound quality? 
I've owned and used many many laptops and often use the headphone jack , I've played umpteen dozen gigs using the headphone output into a large PA. It always sounded very good to my ears. At least if it was bad I'm pretty sure I would have noticed. And having spent day's and days with only a laptop< sonar and a set of medium quality headphones to work with, I conclude that it's never the issue. Seems the quality of th headphones is most important, not the D/A.
I am totally aware that the D/A in the on board sound chip has to has cost about $1.00. 
I just don't really see if there could be a noticeable difference unless like you say you have the one in a hundred laptop that has very low quality output. 

I look at that device and I can only imagine it uses the same D/A chip as many laptops. I would really want to have the option of sending it back if it turns out to be a farce. 
I would take the $130-$250 and invest in some real good headphones. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

filtersweep
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 20:32:06 (permalink)
Real good headphones might expose the deficiencies of the onboard D-A. Not attempting to be an audiophile snob, but I think there is quite a significant difference between the audio outs of my laptop and my audio interface. The difference may be less noticable if the source is compressed radio ready sound. I suspect the $1 converter on board is probably optimized for that source. When the source is raw vst or unprocessed audio I think the difference in quality is undeniable.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 22:17:15 (permalink)
noynekker
...It's a small portable digital to audio converter that plugs into the headphone jack, acting as a pre amp, that supposedly increases the fidelity of the headphone jack...

If it's any sort of DAC, it definitely does not connect that way.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
noynekker
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 23:38:08 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses everyone, some very interesting insights.

From the AudioQuest site, here's the blurb:

"Launched in 2012, press and public alike have enthusiastically embraced AudioQuest’s multi-award-winning DragonFly USB digital-to-analog converter/preamp/headphone amp as the rare audio product that bridges the gap between die-hard audiophiles and mainstream music lovers.
DragonFly plugs into a computer’s USB port to bypass the computer’s compromised audio circuitry and deliver cleaner, clearer, more naturally beautiful sound to headphones, powered speakers, and complete audio systems. Small, affordable, easy to use, and remarkably effective, DragonFly was named Stereophile’s 2012 “Computer Audio Component of the Year” and 2012 “Budget Component of the Year;” Tone Audio’s 2012 “Digital Product of the Year;” Computer Audiophile’s 2012 “Computer Audiophile Product of the Year;” AudioStream’s “Greatest Bits;” and What Hi-Fi?’s 2014 “Product of the Year.”

@ Kev999 . . . you are correct, I was mistaken, it doesn't plug into the headphone jack, it's a USB device, so there must be drivers to install . . . if it truly bypasses any computer's audio circuitry, isn't it just another audio interface ? . . . except when you're actually recording, it must still be routed through the computer's main audio interface.

@ filtersweep, synkrotron, and AT . . . I definitely hear a difference plugging the headphones between my USB Audio device, as opposed to directly into the laptop headphone jack . . . it wasn't a cheap laptop, it cost around $2500 CDN, so I was expecting the audio components to be half decent, but it seems I have to customize it further for serious audio, since this laptop was not originally "designed" for audio work.

@ Cactus Music . . . guess I'll just have to take my laptop and some of my mixes to the retailer, and actually hear the difference. I'm curious to see how the sound is altered by this device, and whether it's an accurate reference for monitoring the projects.

The headphones I use are KRK KNS-8400 . . . so not top of the line, but still $300 decent.
Of course, I use this laptop for mobile recording and composing . . . I still only trust my main studio desktop system for final mixes.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

noynekker
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/16 23:53:09 (permalink)
Perhaps this thing is merely an upgrade from the onboard "$1.00" D to A converter.
Though, I'm thinking what you hear, and what's gets recorded might be quite different.

It either colours the output to make listening back more pleasurable, or it improves the overall fidelity of cheap laptop parts . . . guess I'll have to go hear and find out for myself.

I was hoping someone here would say . . . "I use a USB DAC all the time, can't live without it" . . . maybe this does not have a place in Pro audio circles, and is more of a consumer audiophile thing ?

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/17 12:45:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/04/17 22:20:38
For $200, you can get a decent dedicated audio interface with proper ASIO driver.
For audio work, you're going to be much better off going that route.
Lower latency, higher-quality A/D D/A, rock solid driver, etc.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/17 14:37:24 (permalink)
Yea, I didn't understand that it was a USB DA.  For $200, you can get a good 2-way interface.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/17 15:32:51 (permalink)
Thee are at least 3 interfaces that come with decent ASIO drivers for $100.  That was going to be  my first response, but I understand people not wishing to drag around a 2 lb box. 
I take my Scarlett with me if I'm going to do anything critical. But as I said, there absolutely nothing I notice wrong with any of my laptops headphone jacks... sound just fine to me.. 

That little USB dongle looks like it would be OK but I'll only pay $29 for something like that as I would say it's all hype. $150 gets you a heck of a lot more with a small interface. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/17 22:22:54 (permalink)
Don't forget to buy some Audioquest USB cables to go with it, their very, very expensive audiophile USB cables really massively improve digital audio. Just like their $1,000+ mains leads do.

Apparently.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
synkrotron
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/18 01:45:30 (permalink)
noynekkerit wasn't a cheap laptop, it cost around $2500 CDN, so I was expecting the audio components to be half decent, but it seems I have to customize it further for serious audio, since this laptop was not originally "designed" for audio work.

Wow! yeah, I've just checked the exchange rate and that is, indeed, an expensive laptop. I agree with everyone that, for music creation, you need a proper ASIO interface. 

That said, I listen to music through my laptop headphone jack all the time, and the sound is excellent, in my opinion, although I would never use it as my Sonar sound device.

cheers

andy

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/18 17:37:30 (permalink)
I use a Roland DuoCapture with my laptop to output Sonar to a PA.  $179
http://www.guitarcenter.c...udio-MIDI-Interface.gc

I had used a presonus audiobox for a short time, but couldn't get solid playback via their drivers (which I think is probably just USB Codec disguised as ASIO via wrapper, but that's just conjecture).

the duocapture runs on batteries or DC wall wart which I liked as opposed to running on USB power.  however, I recommend buying the DC power adapter (sold separately) instead of trying to use batteries all the time.  from experience:  I left the batteries in the case too long.  acid everywhere!  luckily it didn't ruin the unit, but I can no longer use it with batteries, only with DC power.

solid drivers, excellent sound, also includes a couple of inputs if I need them for remote recording.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
noynekker
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/19 03:17:29 (permalink)
tlw
Don't forget to buy some Audioquest USB cables to go with it, their very, very expensive audiophile USB cables really massively improve digital audio. Just like their $1,000+ mains leads do.

Apparently.

TLW, sarcasm recognized and appreciated . . . I'm also starting to see this device as audiophile overhype.
 . . . though, it's just across the bridge, and really I must go have a listen.

noynekker
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/19 03:29:57 (permalink)
Beagle
I use a Roland DuoCapture with my laptop to output Sonar to a PA.  $179
http://www.guitarcenter.c...udio-MIDI-Interface.gc

I had used a presonus audiobox for a short time, but couldn't get solid playback via their drivers (which I think is probably just USB Codec disguised as ASIO via wrapper, but that's just conjecture).

the duocapture runs on batteries or DC wall wart which I liked as opposed to running on USB power.  however, I recommend buying the DC power adapter (sold separately) instead of trying to use batteries all the time.  from experience:  I left the batteries in the case too long.  acid everywhere!  luckily it didn't ruin the unit, but I can no longer use it with batteries, only with DC power.

solid drivers, excellent sound, also includes a couple of inputs if I need them for remote recording.

Beagle, thanks for the input . . . I actually have an acceptable USB interface for my laptop (Steinberg UR22 mk II) . . . $200 CDN, ASIO drivers, USB bus powered  etc . . . but there are times, on the road, in the hotel room, in the truck, when I just want simplicity . . . for example: just the laptop and the "Acoustic Guitar VST" to write a song in the moment, that's where the appeal of the USB DAC comes in, since my laptop headphone plug doesn't cut it.

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: USB DAC on a laptop 2017/04/26 00:43:47 (permalink)
The Mobil UA from Roland is what i use for cours and on the go : unbeatable sound quyality (32 bits resolution ) and drivers latency imprssive (the only usb card that i succed to go Under 64 samples of buffer size via usb) and i own RME and other great stuff ;)

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1