What's in your wallet?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
karhide
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 457
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 08:21:57 (permalink)
For me I have slimmed down the number of plugins I use but my normal starting point for mixing is the Slate Digital Virtual Mix Rack, Voxengo Elephant, Pro Channel plugins (mainly Concrete Limiter and EQ) and Valhalla Reverbs.  

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
https://karhide.bandcamp.com
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 11:25:20 (permalink)
Oh god. The question I dread. At least I'm in good company here - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has picked up dozens of things over the years because they just seemed like deals too good to pass up, and good stuff that I *could* find uses for... but in reality, I probably own licenses for about 10 times as many things as I actually use on a regular basis. 

Well, soft synths I do tend to use a lot so I'm not too red-faced about that. Most things in the Arturia bundle and Komplete, as well as stuff from AAS get called on quite a bit, as do sample libraries from Sonicouture and a handful of others. And Alchemy - still gets used even though it will never be updated again unless I move to Macland, which is not happening in the foreseeable future. I have an on-again-off-again relationship with the IK stuff (Sampletank and its vaious appendages) as well - sometimes it seems to be just what I need, other times I don't find myself reaching for it. Having said that since I go through frequent periods where I'm not producing much as my time is dominated by performance (and family) duties, there are a few synths and libraries that have fallen through the cracks as well - Synthmaster, the AIR stuff... maybe this year...

FX is even worse. I have used some of the CW stuff a lot - I don't often find myself needing outboard EQ when the Quad is so flexible and right there... so why do I have 200 other options? Same for compression - half the time I stick CA-2A on there and make a few adjustments and it's pretty darn close to what I want. Maybe Supercharger if I want something more heavy-handed. I'm not actually a particularly fussy mixer, truth be told, so why do I need all this other stuff? Just because it's on sale and probably great doesn't mean I need to own a license. 

I tend to be more motivated by 'out-there' FX, so things like Molekular get used a lot, and a little overlooked gem from Audio Damage called Automaton. I also have done a lot with NI Kore which, like Alchemy, is still installed here and gets used despite its tragic discontinuation. 

I have Ozone (advanced, came with the MPB2) for mastering, though that's relatively recent so more of my stuff has gone through T-Racks over the years - I got a lot of mileage out of the Fairchild and Pultec plugs, and the Brickwall was my go-to limiter for ages as well. I wonder if I will miss it now that Ozone gets first call. 

So yeah, I'm going through a bit of a soul-searching thing on why I need to have all this stuff I don't really use... it's so easy to justify when the sales are on, and it only takes hard-drive space, it's not like I'm physically tripping over it on my way to get more coffee... no, that's the mandolin, or maybe the flugelhorn... 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 11:33:52 (permalink)
Sonar has every time fx, mixing and basic mastering plugin I need. Exception is Waves L3 I use frequently on master bus. I only buy amps (full TH3, got Amplitube 3 too but don't think I need to upgrade to AT4 yet), VST instruments, and modulation effects. Later I realized that except for PSP Lotary and PSP Scanner I would be well with just Sonar FXs. Seems I was weak at fighting GAS.

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 11:44:03 (permalink)
softsynths, disco-dsp discovery pro and u-he diva are my usual gotos, with zebra2 and synthmaster close behind

just a sec

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 11:48:04 (permalink)
Just as pastry is my gastronomical weakness, virtual instruments are my sonic weakness. In both cases, I'm OK as long as I'm not thinking about them, but when one is offered I can't say no. Kontakt alone is a bottomless pit. I hate to think about how many instruments I've bought only to use them for one small part in one project.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
subtlearts
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 13:20:06 (permalink)
Afrodrum
Sonar has every time fx, mixing and basic mastering plugin I need. Exception is Waves L3 I use frequently on master bus. I only buy amps (full TH3, got Amplitube 3 too but don't think I need to upgrade to AT4 yet), VST instruments, and modulation effects. Later I realized that except for PSP Lotary and PSP Scanner I would be well with just Sonar FXs. Seems I was weak at fighting GAS.

Oh yeah, L'otary and B-Scanner. Just picked them up for a song on special and have already used them a couple of times. Simply amazing! Realism on a kind of scary level. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
subtlearts
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 13:22:45 (permalink)
bitflipper
Just as pastry is my gastronomical weakness, virtual instruments are my sonic weakness. In both cases, I'm OK as long as I'm not thinking about them, but when one is offered I can't say no. Kontakt alone is a bottomless pit. I hate to think about how many instruments I've bought only to use them for one small part in one project.

I hate to think of how many I've picked up thinking that I *would* probaly just use them for one small part... but that didn't happen right away... and now I've forgotten I bought some of them... does this sound familiar to anyone? 

My name is tobias and I'm a pluginoholic. Isn't that the first step? Admitting that you have a problem?
post edited by subtlearts - 2017/04/19 15:03:42

tobias tinker 
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/19 13:22:47 (permalink)
Oh yes and universal audio la-2a and 1176. I like the universal audio pretty well but seems like I whined up using other plugs.
WSS
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: What's in your wallet? 2017/04/20 01:42:25 (permalink)
Lounge Lizard (full version) - Very nice sounds. One of Sonars real gems
True Pianos (full version) - Great piano sounds for very little resources, my go-to piano for starting projects
Addictive Keys (Full Version) - 'cause I'm a pianist and it has a great sounds and great starting presets
TH3 (full version) - 'cause I'm no guitarist and I need all the help I can get
Melodyne (full version) - 'cause I'm no singer and I need all the help I can get

Softube EQ's and FET compressor - loved the compressor, can't wait till I can sort out why they won't authorise at the moment.
I have some Melda and Waves VST's but don't use them much. I seem to be able to get where I want to be with the included Sonar plugs.
The PC EQ is just an awesome EQ, and the Multiband compressor does most things very well.
If Cakewalk continues to update and improve their included VST's I don't see myself needing anything other than their offerings.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1