Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples?

Author
Billy86
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 362
2017/04/19 18:48:34 (permalink)

Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples?

Love the fingerpicking of Realitone's Fingerpick vsti in Kontakt. But I have Orange Tree Samples' Evolution Steel Strings, and I'd like to get Fingerpick's MIDI patterns to play OT's sounds. What's the best way?

Current signal routing:
FingerPick stereo output in the Kontakt mixer is channel 1/2. MIDI channel is 1.
OTS' stereo output in Kontakt mixer is channel 5/6. MIDI channel is 3.

In Sonar, they each have their own MIDI and audio tracks. Thanks for any help.

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort

6 Replies Related Threads

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples? 2017/04/20 16:54:28 (permalink)
    Get the midi out into sonar onto a midi track and re point it to the other sample set.

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Billy86
    Re: Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples? 2017/04/20 17:33:06 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl
    Get the midi out into sonar onto a midi track and re point it to the other sample set.

Thank you for the response. Not sure what you mean by "re point it to the other sample set." Do you mean this is a routing issue in Sonar -- have the Sonar midi track output through the target instrument's audio track, or is this something I can do inside Kontakt?

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples? 2017/04/20 20:22:59 (permalink)
    EDIT - I have left my original reply below in grey as it may address a more general concept.

I have just called up Fingerpick and refered to the manual. I do not think its possible to directly output MIDI from Fingerpick either to another instrument inside Kontakt or to rout it to another VSTi in Sonar. All is not lost however as its possible to drag and drop the MIDI from Fingerpick into a Sonar MIDI track. It can then be routed to anything you want. See page 3 of the Fingerpick manual.

For VSTi that output MIDI you have to enable MIDI out when inserting the VSTi in Sonar. One can then route that MIDI to another VSTi (or another instance of the same VSTi)

I am not sure if Kontakt can output MIDI and even if I can the Kontakt instrument in question would have to be scripted to output MIDI. But assuming it does the procedure would be to use two instances of Kontakt with the MIDI out of the first instance driving the second.

A potential pitfall would be if the instrument relies on keyswitches or other controler information, this is common with guitar type instruments. For the patterns to sound correctly the second instrument would need to respond to the same keyswitches or controllers in the same way.

I am far from certain but it may be possible if you are an expert in Kontakt scripting to use the MIDI directly with other samples in Kontakt, but the vendor may have it protected in some way.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2017/04/20 20:58:08

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    pfl
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples? 2017/04/21 17:42:39 (permalink)
    The Realitone site has a Support / Download section that contains a PDF on how to get the Realibanjo patterns on to another track.  It's written for Cubase.  Maybe it would work for Fingerpick and Sonar?
    Billy86
    Re: Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples? 2017/04/21 22:05:51 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    EDIT - I have left my original reply below in grey as it may address a more general concept.

I have just called up Fingerpick and refered to the manual. I do not think its possible to directly output MIDI from Fingerpick either to another instrument inside Kontakt or to rout it to another VSTi in Sonar. All is not lost however as its possible to drag and drop the MIDI from Fingerpick into a Sonar MIDI track. It can then be routed to anything you want. See page 3 of the Fingerpick manual.

For VSTi that output MIDI you have to enable MIDI out when inserting the VSTi in Sonar. One can then route that MIDI to another VSTi (or another instance of the same VSTi)

I am not sure if Kontakt can output MIDI and even if I can the Kontakt instrument in question would have to be scripted to output MIDI. But assuming it does the procedure would be to use two instances of Kontakt with the MIDI out of the first instance driving the second.

A potential pitfall would be if the instrument relies on keyswitches or other controler information, this is common with guitar type instruments. For the patterns to sound correctly the second instrument would need to respond to the same keyswitches or controllers in the same way.

I am far from certain but it may be possible if you are an expert in Kontakt scripting to use the MIDI directly with other samples in Kontakt, but the vendor may have it protected in some way.

Thanks much for the suggestion on dragging/dropping MIDI clips from FP. I was familiar with that, but was bummed that you can only drag out one clip at a time, instead of an entire passage, or an entire performance. 

As pfl suggests above, Kontakt can output MIDI and recorded it to a MIDI track in Sonar. I'm going to experiment with that method, record a MIDI performance and try to trigger OTS, which resides inside Kontakt. (It's not possible to simply insert OTS on a track, like Guitar Rig.) Was just hoping I could maybe do all the routing inside Kontakt to streamline things, but I can't figure that out -- if it's even possible. 

Billy86
    Re: Can a Kontakt instrument's MIDI trigger another Kontakt instrument's samples? 2017/04/21 22:06:58 (permalink)
    pfl
    The Realitone site has a Support / Download section that contains a PDF on how to get the Realibanjo patterns on to another track.  It's written for Cubase.  Maybe it would work for Fingerpick and Sonar?

Thanks for this tip. I'll give it a shot. The fact that you send MIDI out of Kontakt looks promising. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1