Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional)

Author
arimalan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 44
2017/04/20 20:04:30 (permalink)

Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional)

If Not, Does Dimension Pro Have Them?

9 Replies Related Threads

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/20 20:41:17 (permalink)
    I think there are some in SI-Strings, that's in Pro too, right?
    evansmalley
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 715
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/21 17:45:07 (permalink)
    not only JUST to sound like a butt, (always check yourself after typing that line!) actually, the technical description of staccato isn't as descriptive as possible applied in this way to strings usually. Usually, more exact terms like= pizzicato, spiccata, marcato etc are used, because there's many specific variations within techniques. There's nothing incorrect about using the term staccato though, just thought you'd want to know. "the more you knoooow"?! If you want real strings though, some guys like me overdub whole orchestras with the real thing and for cheap. There's NO comparison between the musicality of touching a note with a real string and faking it with a sampler. But samplers are still amazing if it's all you can find! Best of luck.

Win7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro 600 video card, Gigabyte X58A mobo, LG Blu-ray drive, 500 Gig E, F Drives, dual-monitors: 26" each, 2 X Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 ASIO hardware I/O's, Tascam US-428 control surface, Sonar 8.5.3 and X1 Producer, Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Vintage 42-input Amek console, much outboard analog audio gear, acoustic world instruments, and noise toys! 
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/21 19:52:02 (permalink)
    The free sfz format Virtual Playing Orchestra 2 has staccato strings.  It runs in the free Plogue sforzando player powered by Aria.

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

• *** NEW *** ALL sustain samples are looped. Use this power responsibly! These samples were not looped to create musicians with infinite lung capacity but instead were created because many of the samples were too short.
    • Section and solo instruments
    • Sustain, normal, staccato, accented articulations for all strings, brass, woodwinds
    • Pizzicato for all strings
    • Tremolo for all strings sections (plus tremolo for solo violin)
    • Articulations can be loaded individually or as part of a key switch patch
    • Adjustable attack with the mod wheel for the patches labelled “normal-mod-wheel”
    • Round robin for staccato strings to simulate up and down strokes of the bow
    • 2 velocity layers for trumpets, french horns, trombones
    • A light randomization of pitch and volume when repeating notes, like real players
    • All samples have been checked (and corrected if necessary) for tuning issues
    • All samples have been checked (and corrected if necessary) for panning issues
    • All samples volumes have equalized so max volume is nearly the same value
    • All instruments are set to only play within their proper note range
    • All instruments are mapped to appear in the proper place on a musical score so in some cases, to reach all the notes on a MIDI controller, it might be necessary to set the midi controller to transpose the notes or set your Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) to transpose the MIDI
    • All instruments include a general purpose articulation called “Normal-mod-wheel”. This is effectively a sustain patch with a fast attack, but the mod wheel reduces the rate of the attack, for the times when you don’t want the slower crescendo of the sustain patch, but you still want a sustained note.
    • General purpose patch for full string section (violins, violas, cello, bass in a single patch)
    • General purpose patch for full brass section (trumpet, french horn, trombone, tuba a single patch)
    • General purpose patch for full woodwinds section (piccolo flute, flute, oboe, clarinet, english horn, bassoon)

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jeff Irok
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/21 23:14:00 (permalink)
    abacab
    The free sfz format Virtual Playing Orchestra 2 has staccato strings.  It runs in the free Plogue sforzando player powered by Aria.

@abacab - Thanks for posting this!  Pardon my ignorance, but can this be loaded into Dimension Pro or Rapture?  (I don't have Rapture Pro [yet] so I'm not asking about that [yet].) The directions didn't speak to Cakewalk products.  I thought .sfz's were loadable into Dim Pro or Rapture (or both) but perhaps I'm mistaken...?
    PeterMc
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/22 01:23:34 (permalink)
    Search in Rapture Session for "pizzicato". There are a few there, plus a couple more in Cakewalk Sound Center.

Cheers, Peter.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

rogeriodec
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/22 01:30:30 (permalink)
    After several years testing numerous Strings VSTs, for many reasons today I only use one: AudioBro LA Scoring Strings (LASS), also LASS Legato Sordino (real sordinos, not simulated like others).

rogeriodec.com.br

* Cakewalk By Bandlabs (always lastest versions), Window 10 x64
    * Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface
    * Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz / ASROCK EXTREME 4 Z97 Mobo
    * 2 SSD Samsung Evo 250 Gb (RAID-0) + 1 Western Digital 2 Tb + 1 Seagate 1 Tb
    * Onboard video / 16 Gb RAM HyperX Fury 1600 Mhz
    * 3 LCD Monitors
    * Axiom 61 MIDI Controller, Tapco S5 Active Studio Monitors
    abacab
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/22 01:40:50 (permalink)
    rogeriodec
    After several years testing numerous Strings VSTs, for many reasons today I only use one: AudioBro LA Scoring Strings (LASS), also LASS Legato Sordino (real sordinos, not simulated like others).

Yeah I hear ya bro, that sounds great, but at mucho $$$!

The OP was asking about the included sounds in a $100 product.

At that price point, free is a good option.  After listening to the Virtual Playing Orchestra, it would be hard to beat unless you either payed $1000 for a pro sample library, or hired a live orchestra.

abacab
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/22 01:50:52 (permalink)
    Jeff Irok
    abacab

@abacab - Thanks for posting this!  Pardon my ignorance, but can this be loaded into Dimension Pro or Rapture?  (I don't have Rapture Pro [yet] so I'm not asking about that [yet].) The directions didn't speak to Cakewalk products.  I thought .sfz's were loadable into Dim Pro or Rapture (or both) but perhaps I'm mistaken...?

I don't really know because I haven't tried to do that with Dimension or Rapture.  The site states that it works with the free Plogue sforzando sfx player, or the Aria player that comes with Garritan.

I am running it well with the free Plogue sforzando, which is a very light plugin, so you could insert many instances if desired.  https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

I also discovered that sforzando included my Dimension Pro sounds in its instrument list. 

Jeff Irok
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: Does Garritan Have Staccato Strings? (Sonar Professional) 2017/04/22 01:58:51 (permalink)
    abacab
    I don't really know because I haven't tried to do that with Dimension or Rapture.  The site states that it works with the free Plogue sforzando sfx player, or the Aria player that comes with Garritan.

I am running it well with the free Plogue sforzando, which is a very light plugin, so you could insert many instances if desired.  https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/

I also discovered that sforzando included my Dimension Pro sounds in its instrument list. 

Thanks for the response!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1