She's no Baby

Author
FreeEarCandy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
2017/04/21 05:27:12 (permalink)

She's no Baby

A song about growing up and the consequential gains and loses. "She's no Baby" is the 10th track from the FreeEarCandy Collection. This is a bit dry on instruments and has room for more. I'm thinking some complementary synth could certainly work out nice. This one was a challenge with regards to de-essing certain areas. Also may have recorded the acoustic guitar with a little too much volume coming in. Seems to have picked up some dead air at the high end. The quick fix solution came down to eq. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy this one. All comments welcomed.

Thanks!
Dean. 

https://soundcloud.com/us...4/shes-no-baby-anymore

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
***FreeEarCandy***

12 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/04/21 09:41:44 (permalink)
    Hi Dean,

I wouldn't do anything more to this, it is a really fine and honest song... Sounds pretty damn sweet to my ears.

Keep 'em coming

Oh, by the way, I notice you have garnered one follower... I'd block that one, it's spam and they have only followed you to get you to listen to tracks that they have reposted. Just one of the pitfalls of SoundCloud I'm afraid...

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/04/21 14:49:49 (permalink)
    Fine job on this! Yes, I can hear what you called out, but if you hadn't, I might not have noticed. The overall mix is pretty good as is. Very nice song as well...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/04/22 05:47:50 (permalink)
    synkrotron
    Hi Dean,

I wouldn't do anything more to this,...

Thanks for listening and nice comments Andy. The previous mix I allowed the acoustic to fall back slightly when the vocal intro starts. On this mix I completely cut the acoustic during the vocal intro so as not to have it ramble on throughout the whole song. However, I didn't redo the vocals, and it sounded a bit empty through there at first. I listened to it a few more times and took another look a the vocals I had. It came down to adding a vocal strip doubler with some verb, and it filled the area out enough to let it go.

Thanks for the SC heads up. 

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/04/22 06:06:03 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    I can hear what you called out, but if you hadn't, I might not have noticed.

Your probably right Dan, but it was a bit more apparent before the eq, as the guitar is out there by itself for the opening measures. Cutting some of those top freq warmed up the guitar tone , which this song can handle. So maybe in this case the mistake was an advantage? Funny how that works out. 

Thanks for the really nice comment Dan.  

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/04/22 16:04:11 (permalink)
    Really cool yet unusual. Love the backing vocals. My only nit, the lead guitar level could come down a couple of dB. It jumped out at me in the middle there.
    Great, quirky, honest song.
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/04/22 16:45:48 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    the lead guitar level could come down a couple of dB. 

Hey Daryl ! Thanks so much for listening to the piece and sharing your reaction. Had a listen to the area you pointed out and it does seem to pop in a tad too strong, but I'm also wondering if the sudden lead entry has something to do with it too?.... Nah, I think your right Daryl. Could come down a few db's. 

Thanks for lending your ears. Much appreciated Daryl. Great comment.

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/05/03 18:31:30 (permalink)
    +1 to the above - other than the lead popping just a bit much level/frequency-wise, I wouldn't change anything.   It's a slightly quirky arrangement that seems to work.   Nice. 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

FreeEarCandy
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/05/04 18:10:38 (permalink)
    stevec
    +1 to the above - other than the lead popping just a bit much level/frequency-wise, I wouldn't change anything.   It's a slightly quirky arrangement that seems to work.   Nice. 

Thanks Steve! 

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/05/06 19:51:16 (permalink)
    Nice guitar accompaniment and vocals. I liked the aaaahs that seemed less background vocals but more of a vocal effect. You have some good stuff here.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/05/07 14:47:38 (permalink)
    Very nice song, Dean, though I think the mix could still use a little work.  IMO- the lead guitar could come down some, and I'd like to hear the lead vocal better... perhaps a combination of eq and gain.  Overall very well done though.
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/05/07 21:21:44 (permalink)
    Very nice! I like the electric-fingerstyle guitar intro and the overall mood of the tune. Very cool.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    FreeEarCandy
    Re: She's no Baby 2017/05/08 21:48:53 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    Nice guitar accompaniment and vocals. I liked the aaaahs that seemed less background vocals but more of a vocal effect. You have some good stuff here.

Glad you liked the tune and I appreciate the positive feedback. 

philz
    Very nice song, Dean, though I think the mix could still use a little work.  IMO- the lead guitar could come down some, and I'd like to hear the lead vocal better... perhaps a combination of eq and gain.  Overall very well done though.

Phil, thank you very much for the nice review. Would you say that perhaps the guitar has too much high end , or perhaps just needs to come down? Regarding the vocals...to my ear they are out front. Nevertheless, I do notice there are certain spots where they seem to get soft. As I mentioned in the header, "De-essing" this was difficult. There were a lot of trigger words that promoted the problem and I think perhaps some of the softness in the vocals is a consequence of using tactical deliveries on problematic words. The de-essing/eq can also rob certain frequencies that help put the voice more out front. I'll keep your suggestions in mind the next time I open this one up for more editing, and I thank you very much for telling me your reactions. It is one of the reasons I like posting here. Very constructive. Much appreciated!
    Dean.

geeare1
    Very nice! I like the electric-fingerstyle guitar intro and the overall mood of the tune. Very cool.

Geeare 1, That's my new Martian Guitar. Well, it was new a year and a half ago. It came with those big fat heavy strings that are hard to play, but I like the tone so much I put myself through the torture. In fact, a friend noticed the original strings are still on the guitar and asked when I intended on changing them. Although I agree it is time to change them, I have a few songs I'm still editing and I really can't change the gauge of the strings at this moment. Well, anyway, I'm very glad you liked the tune, and I thank you for taking the time to comment and letting me know your reaction.

Dean.

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1