ibediggin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
2017/04/22 20:11:03 (permalink)

asio or wasapi

asio or wasapi
can anyone tell me the best to use?
i have been using wasapi shared and have some major issues
i have reverted back to asio and all seems well?
thanks guys

amd 10-6700 apu, 3.70 ghz,24gb 16gb usable.
sonar platinum 64 bit operating system latest upgrades
.komplete audio 6
WINDOWS 10
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: asio or wasapi 2017/04/22 20:19:29 (permalink)
ASIO for sure if you have it (true ASIO... not asio4all).

Things are changing in this regard but the loooong standing advice is (and will likely continue to be for the foreseeable future) to use ASIO if you have a soundcard/device that supports it.

Cheers.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: asio or wasapi 2017/04/22 21:32:02 (permalink)
Beepster

Things are changing in this regard but the loooong standing advice is (and will likely continue to be for the foreseeable future) to use ASIO if you have a soundcard/device that supports it.

Cheers.

I agree that true ASIO drivers from your hardware vendor are best, but in some cases you may not have that option.

Johnny V aka Cactus Music posted his loopback test here using ASIO4ALL vs WASAPI on a laptop.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3582116

He reported better latency performance with ASIO4ALL.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: asio or wasapi 2017/04/22 21:54:18 (permalink)
abacab
Beepster

Cheers.

I agree that true ASIO drivers from your hardware vendor are best, but in some cases you may not have that option.

Johnny V aka Cactus Music posted his loopback test here using ASIO4ALL vs WASAPI on a laptop.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3582116

He reported better latency performance with ASIO4ALL.

Absolutely. I was about to launch into one of my long winded diatribes about the various scenarios and configs where ASIO may not be the best option (like if you simply don't HAVE access to proper ASIO drivers and/or hardware) but figured without extra detail that I'd go for the simple answer. Okay... I'll admit it, I was being "lazy" in my reply because I'm writing/tracking but I figure the smarter kids could dig into all that if necessary and/or I could come back and blather more if OP returned with more deets.

lol

Cheeers!
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: asio or wasapi 2017/04/22 23:10:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/04/23 00:22:48
To answer your question accurately we need to know a few more details.
what you are using for audio?   Do you have an Audio interface or are you using the on board sound chip. 
If you have an good audio interface that comes with Asio drivers then always use ASIO. 
Sonar performs it's best when it has good ASIO drivers running. 

If your audio interface has poorly written drivers, then sometimes you need to try other options like WASAPI, WDM or Asio4all. There's no perfect answer for that situation as each set up will be a little different.

But then the next question
What do you use Sonar for? 
I only us Asio4all as example, on a laptop I only work with midi files on. 
For audio recording I would not be caught dead without a proper interface.  

And John , my test was for offset timing was not really latency, but latency is involved of course. 

The fact that only ASIO mode provides Sonar with the information to calculate the latency offset needed to keep overdub recordings synchronized.  
Because the playback we will hear will be delayed by output latency, and then is recorded late because of input latency, Sonar actually plays the project AHEAD of time by that amount so we overdub in sync. 
In other words if your output latency is reported correctly to Sonar as 7ms. and the input latency is also 7ms then Sonar plays the song 14ms early so it will be in sync. Poorly written drivers don't report properly so it's not Sonars fault if it was lied to. 

The loopback test will easily show you that all other audio modes will result in a newly recorded track in most cases Late,  so out of sync with the original tracks. It might be so small that many won't even notice but they will wonder why the song is not very tight. The top 2 tracks are a midi and the frozen drum hit. The rest are loopbacks of track 2 recorded in different audio modes. To make a loopback you use a short patch cable from your interfaces output back to an input. Arm a fresh audio track and hit record. Make sure input echo is off and even set the tracks output to NONE. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: asio or wasapi 2017/04/22 23:21:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/04/23 00:22:52
Here's my laptop test using a Realtech chip ASIO4all wins the sync test because it seems to make Sonar happy. 
I included the reported RTL figures and notice how they correlate to the miscalculation. Only asio4all got it right at 11.6ms. The rest were only guessing. And one can clearly see why MME mode is to be avoided at all costs. Asio4all has come a long way and seems to be a good choice if you wish to work sans audio interface, sure works well for me. But don't forget, I'm NOT recording overdubed audio, even though I could if I wish to suffer a 1/8" mini jack patch cable :) 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ibediggin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: asio or wasapi 2017/04/23 15:21:56 (permalink)
thank you all

amd 10-6700 apu, 3.70 ghz,24gb 16gb usable.
sonar platinum 64 bit operating system latest upgrades
.komplete audio 6
WINDOWS 10
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1