Quality on playback

Author
kjs003333
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2017/04/23 00:07:14 (permalink)

Quality on playback

Hello all,
Making a few guitar tracks using a VST called X50. When I'm tracking with input monitoring on, everything sounds great.. but when playing back, there seems to be a dip in quality and I'm not sure why.  Is there a setting I should be looking for that would cause it to sound different on playback than in real time?   Using a SansAmp Para Driver as a preamp going into a Fast Track USB as my interface. ASIO drivers at 24bit 48000.  

Thanks,

2 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Quality on playback 2017/04/23 12:27:29 (permalink)
    A quite common reason to such issues is routing of monitored signal. For example, in many setups it's possible that you accidentally hear both direct monitoring from the interface and input echo from SONAR - double signal when tracking, single on play back.  Also, if you monitor much louder than what the play back volume is, you "automatically" think the louder sounds better.

What type of degradation do (you think) you hear in the recorded signal? Distortion, lack of body, lack of clarity or sparkle?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    kjs003333
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Quality on playback 2017/04/23 17:14:01 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    A quite common reason to such issues is routing of monitored signal. For example, in many setups it's possible that you accidentally hear both direct monitoring from the interface and input echo from SONAR - double signal when tracking, single on play back.  Also, if you monitor much louder than what the play back volume is, you "automatically" think the louder sounds better.

What type of degradation do (you think) you hear in the recorded signal? Distortion, lack of body, lack of clarity or sparkle?

That could be possible..  however on my interface, I have it set to listen to the mix only and none of the "dry signal". Perhaps this doesn't matter? I know without input monitoring turned on.. I hear no sound what so ever from my guitar, so I'm not sure how I would be hearing a double signal. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1