Dog Training for 4 days

Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2017/04/24 18:24:06 (permalink)

Dog Training for 4 days

This past weekend... from 4-20 through 4-23, my dog Lilly and I have been working out tails off at a dog training seminar for HRD (cadaver/ human remains) dogs.   We worked simulated airplane crash sites which were burned, schools, buildings, fields and woods. Everything from the basics to some pretty advanced hides.

We had a great time. A photographer from the local paper was there and took pictures of me and my dog working.  We ended up on the front page of the newspaper.

Here's a link to that story.

http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/training-k-9s-and-their-handlers,84110

Now.... a few days off, and we start back training using the new tools and techniques we learned at the training.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

17 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/25 04:43:57 (permalink)
    Good job!  Though it's one you never want to have to use!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/25 05:43:15 (permalink)
    Luckily when I see my dog digging in the yard, I can just assume it is after gophers.
    loopyd
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/25 09:20:49 (permalink)
    Good skills and training come out of that.
    But nothing beats a man and his dog.  Canine companionship is so damn satisfying.

I'm that way with my 9 y/o beagle.  He still refuses to hunt but he's got the best nose for litter around.  xD

I reared a shephard and a siberian husky from puppyhood.  They're a part of your life you don't forget.  Especially Virgil, when he hid my socks. 

In therapy for SSH-shell second-hand-managed VPS-induced PTSD.
    Courtesy BlueHost

Guitarhacker
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/25 11:27:31 (permalink)
    Craig, you are correct. We train and hope we never have to use the skills we learn. Unfortunately, we do get quite a few call-outs. There's quite a few nice endings that our team has, ( I believe Gordon eluded to one of thos in the story) and unfortunately, for the HRD side of the team, we seldom have a "happy ending" due to what we're looking for. We provide the closure for them of knowing their loved one was found. Our dogs have the happy ending because it's a game to them and they know when they find what they're searching for, they are going to get rewarded and have a fun game of fetch "the" toy.

Slartabartfast.... we train our dogs  not to dig or paw at the source. But if it's buried, they often will dig.  Since we make the first assumption on a search that until proven otherwise, a search is always assumed to be a crime scene.... we do our best to keep them from disturbing the evidence. But I have seen lots of dogs start to dig. The handler is generally close enough to get there and get the dog to stop. Speaking of pawing the source.... I saw a guy on a TV show demonstrating his "certified bomb dog". It took the dog a long time and he practically had to cue the dog on the backpack with the bomb. Then, the dog started pawing the backpack and turned it over trying to get into it. Bad idea for a bomb dog to do that. I mean really bad.

Loopyd...   yup. She's a great companion. 90% of the time she is within 10' of me when we're home or out and about. Another term is "Velcro dog".  It just rolled some thunder and she's on the floor directly behind me right now. When we're working, she does like she needs and starts gridding and roaming. Exactly what she needs to be doing to find the scent cone from the source. Dogs have that special skill of being able to get into our hearts and lives.

This pic was Lilly last November at our SAR exercise training. We were out for an early Sunday morning walk at the lake.

BMI/NSAI

loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/25 11:46:14 (permalink)

Sam a few months ago.  I call him the beagle to end all beagles.  He got that title because he bellows like the end of the world is going to come when he smells us coming home. He's got the classic hound yowl.  Never a bark, just that baying yowl.

Poor old fella just recently had surgery.  We got a benign cyst taken off his left hind and neutored because of testicular cancer.  I don't normally neutor but in the case of his life I had to make the choice.  He's been on about yearly allergies and has developed cateracts.  I do what I can for ear care .  Vet wants to see him back in about a month because we get his ears clear and then the infection pops back up again.  But he lights up the clinic when I roll in with him. 

And rough job you have is that military, police, or EMT?  Lot of military in the fam down here.  The guy that helped fix my radiator for my computer build is an ex state trooper.  He could tell you stories about being a corrections officer for 20 years.  xD  Works in construction now.  He can swing a crane arm and a socket wrench like nobody's business even for his age.  xD

There's him, my friend's two sons one out of the air force and one out of the army, and the crazy first sargent who stills wants to be a door gunner.  We asked him why and the hell he still wants to be a chopper gunner for his rank (E6) says he enjoys the excitement.  I guess it earned him his promotion hes going for E5.  Good pension.  He can retire early and get out Master Sargent in 2 years.  He gives folks like you a job too I guess.  Going looking for the dead or living.
    post edited by loopyd - 2017/04/25 12:11:22

Courtesy BlueHost

Bhav
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 887
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 00:44:51 (permalink)
    Yes its always necessary to train your dogs well ...

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
    loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 05:39:51 (permalink)
    Bhav

[ removed in quote ]

o.o; PM incoming.

Courtesy BlueHost

Bhav
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 05:55:45 (permalink)
    loopyd
    Bhav

[ removed in quote ]

o.o; PM incoming.

Now Im scared.

I7 6850k, Asus RV10E, 32 Gb ram, SLI GTX 980 Ti, Creative Soundblaster Z, Yamaha DGX 630, Creative Aurvana Platinum headphones.
    loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 07:03:30 (permalink)
    Or should I use this emoji?  (\ or this one ^-^ or just overuse them excessively, or start posting memes with pictures of my pill bottles?

I love the internet, and it loves me by hating back. 

Courtesy BlueHost

Bhav
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 09:45:50 (permalink)
    I have to take more pills than you and they arent even strong enough.

I should be on adderall​ but that stuff is extremely hard to get prescribed in tne UK. Still waiting for more mental health appointments.

loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 10:01:27 (permalink)
    Bhav
    I have to take more pills than you and they arent even strong enough.

I should be on adderall​ but that stuff is extremely hard to get prescribed in tne UK. Still waiting for more mental health appointments.

They keep canceling mine.  I say if my cell isn't working call my buddy and he can get a hold of me.  It's like the services here in America don't want to even try to make sure their clients are any sort of happy.  They just want to wait until the client goes nuts because of the neglectfulness of the services they ask for (and are then accused of misusing them, further aggrivating this) so they can issue a 302 (involuntary petition), then the doctors there behind all sorts of special legal boundaries can practice what they please with the patient.  I've never come out of a hospital on less than 7 different medications.

I honestly feel bad because I ripped blended case management a new one about their behavior and she said that I had a right to be upset and she wishes I seek elsewhere that didn't have such stingent policies.  Said she's ready to quit.

Like really what is the point in filling out the "Back up contact" section of a form with information they will never utilize because of policy, even if you sign a release form for them.

I've been trying to get back on my Concerta for 2 years now.  Helps a lot I have ADD and some anxiety.  I know that struggle.  Concerta is better than Adderal even but still considered a controlled substance because of the idiot druggies that don't need the medications abusing them.  It puts up legal barriers that makes it tough for anyone with a legitimate condition get the treatment they need.

I have always stood against those dealers pushing pills or substances.  Its almost like every one I leave standing is one more turn in the noose for successfully getting the treatment I need.  So I support Military, Police, Rescue, and EMT, because they hate 'em just as much as I do.  Its like the story of the deadbeat mom cooking meth several feet away from her children, then they all go up in flames and the cadiever team and the corinor have a field day.  A man doesn't come out of that one without a stiff drink.

So then I reinstalled Cakewalk, and I was um...happy.  Because the software is so awesome I can put all my minor pentatonic horror music to track and let all the hatred flow out for a little while!  Yeah.

How's that for staying on topic, jeebas?  YEAH!

-

Thanks to any Cakewalk dev who actually read this mess.  Really.  I don't buy expensive product licenses because I have to.  I do it out of respect.  The program literally saved my skin as a teen.  Was given a copy by a producer out of Detroit, Michigan.  Kept me the hell out of trouble.  He used ProTools but he said, "You want to make music, start with this.  Merry Christmas."
    post edited by loopyd - 2017/04/26 10:34:09

Courtesy BlueHost

Guitarhacker
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 13:25:55 (permalink)
    Bhav

And not a single e-collar in the bunch......

BMI/NSAI

craigb
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 15:50:10 (permalink)
    I'm my own backup contact.

loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 20:36:31 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker
    And not a single e-collar in the bunch......

* melts *

craigb
    I'm my own backup contact.

Wouldn't that cause a rip in the space-time continium?  Or a black hole?  Or a membrane collision resulting in a tear in our bubble of reality and the end of time, matter, and the laws of physics as we precieve it?

SOMEONE gets better cell coverage.

Courtesy BlueHost

craigb
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 20:46:52 (permalink)
    loopyd
    Wouldn't that cause a rip in the space-time continium?  Or a black hole?  Or a membrane collision resulting in a tear in our bubble of reality and the end of time, matter, and the laws of physics as we precieve it?

Hey!  How is it you know my life's purpose???  

loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 20:51:37 (permalink)
    craigb
    loopyd

My Junk e-mail folder tells me so.  If its on the internet it must be true.  Like the ED pills.

Courtesy BlueHost

loopyd
    Re: Dog Training for 4 days 2017/04/26 21:18:56 (permalink)
    craigb
    loopyd

pr00f.  gubment spericies.

Courtesy BlueHost

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1