Set RMS to specific measures

Author
eaudioproductions
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2017/04/28 12:23:27 (permalink)

Set RMS to specific measures

Hello,

I would like to ask and learn how to take a narration recording and set it to the desired RMS levels.
It is an AudioBook and I really don't have experience in setting RMS levels and how to do it.

So.. Say I have a nice edited narration. ACX requires the RMS levels to be within -23 and - 18 dB

How do I do that? Use a limiter? What would be the process and what would I look out for?

Thanks a lot!

8 Replies Related Threads

interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/05/26 01:18:01 (permalink)
    The answer is in your question. Meterplugs.com does a good RMS meter which will measure the summed average volume (loudness units over 300 or 10000ms).

Without using a RMS plug-in you can edit the Sonar meters to display RMS levels. Generally this is the shaded legend area below the rising and falling peaks.

So for -20db RMS, you will be aiming for there. On a loudness meter, it may be replaced using a scale which runs from -40 to +20 (60dB). So -20dB becomes 0dB leaving the remainder as your digital headroom before clipping occurs.

Just for reference and general information RMS means Root Mean Square.

Sound Forge has plenty of metering options too. I kind of miss that sometimes.
    post edited by interpolated - 2017/05/26 14:19:39

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    interpolated
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/03 09:10:25 (permalink)
    Or indeed you can use the adaptive limiter now.

I have computer stuff.

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/03 16:42:01 (permalink)
    You just adjust the level until Sonar's RMS meter puts you in the desired range.

You only need a limiter if you get any clipping after you set things to the desired RMS level.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/03 16:52:07 (permalink)
    MAutoVolume from MeldaProduction, followed by a limiter. There are plugins and standalone processors designed specifically for your application, but MAutoVolume is probably the least-expensive solution.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/03 21:47:10 (permalink)
    Sonar's rms meter is not the way to go for various reasons.  Firstly the rms indicator is way down on the scale and is much harder to read right down where it is.  Secondly, Sonar shows rms values as being 3 dB lower down than everyone else because their rms meters do not follow the industry standard.

Just get yourself some Klanghelm VUMT meters.

http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/VUMT/VUMT.php

They are very affordable and very accurate.  Once you choose a reference e.g. -14 dB FS (or -18 etc whatever you decide) = 0 dB VU then the rms reading is showing full scale deflection right up to 0 dB VU which is now much easier to read.

VU meters are actually excellent for voice because they were originally invented to show voice levels first before anything else.  For any type of voice recording all you have to do is ensure that all your voice work is reaching nicely up to 0 dB VU and then all your voice editing etc will sound at the same volume. 

The ballistic of the Klanghelm meter is also quite close to the real thing too as many others are not.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/04 17:27:17 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans
    Secondly, Sonar shows rms values as being 3 dB lower down than everyone else because their rms meters do not follow the industry standard.

We have this discussion every single time, but Sonar does it correctly.

Please stop saying this. There are many other programs that do it the same way as Sonar, which is the same way it's done everywhere outside of a few other audio programs that happen to be popular enough that they think they can not follow the standard and instead make up their own.

And there are some meters (like Voxengo Span) that let you display it either way. And note that the setting in Span calls your supposed "standard" not RMS but "DBFS+3"  because it adds 3dB to the actual RMS value. IMO this is the best solution as it allows for compatibility with programs that have chosen not to follow the standard and instead add 3dB to the definition of RMS and still call it RMS. It also makes clear that they are adding 3dB to the actual value of RMS.

And Jeff a rational person can't both talk about the importance of standards and then choose to ignore long established standards (and definitions) in favor of new ones. You're in fact arguing that true standards aren't important and that instead one should just follow the flavor of the moment.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    interpolated
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/04 17:42:34 (permalink)
    I just go with K-Metering until I know better.

I have computer stuff.

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Set RMS to specific measures 2017/06/04 19:30:10 (permalink)
    As far as I know the industry standard is showing 0 dB VU as being the peak value which is of course as we know is not true of electrical engineering basics.  I have not come across any other DAW that shows rms as being 3 dB down. Every third party VU meter VST I have bought and tested shows rms as the industry standard, not 3 dB down.  Sonar should alter this as far as I am concerned or at least make it an option.

K metering also shows the industry standard so he won't go wrong.  I agree it is confusing.  It just means if you meter with Sonar the whole track will be 3 dB louder that is all.  But as soon as you insert a third party VU meter it will be showing the industry standard for rms level. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1