Helpful ReplyUpgrade?

Author
Agentcalm
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
2017/04/28 13:13:34 (permalink)

Upgrade?

Hi folks.  I'm still using S3 and just have the basic Studio version.   There's lots of bells and whistles that I dont have but the question is do I need them.  i can record vocals, guitars and bass.  I have Session drummer3 and all is working fine.
The higher end Sonars are quite expensive and beyond my budget.   Did anyone out go from the basic setup that I have to a higher version and did you really see any great benefits.   Im not an engineer and dont plan on being one.  Im a songwriter and want to put most of my time and energy into writing better songs and pitching them to publishers.   Just wondering if there like minded folks out there and what did you upgrade to?  
Thanks guys. 

Southern kin y'all 
JCB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 13:58:34 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Hi folks.  I'm still using S3 and just have the basic Studio version.   There's lots of bells and whistles that I dont have but the question is do I need them.  i can record vocals, guitars and bass.  I have Session drummer3 and all is working fine.
The higher end Sonars are quite expensive and beyond my budget.   Did anyone out go from the basic setup that I have to a higher version and did you really see any great benefits.   Im not an engineer and dont plan on being one.  Im a songwriter and want to put most of my time and energy into writing better songs and pitching them to publishers.   Just wondering if there like minded folks out there and what did you upgrade to?  
Thanks guys. 

Hi Agentcalm. I know the feeling.
I upgraded to a new computer around one and a half years ago. I am so glad that I did. I upgraded my software and hardware at the same time. Up until then I was using a Intel 6600 quad core processor, MS Vista (32 bit), Sonar X1 Producer. I'd had the computer for around 9 years so it was getting a little long in the tooth. It had a EMU 1212 sound card (not a bad card). I spent so much time getting around the system shortcomings. I wanted to install more RAM so had to go 64 bit. One of my main plugins was Atmosphere (which was 32 bit) so it meant upgrading to Omnisphere 2 etc etc etc. I compose and record my own songs also. I sing, use acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, percussion, various instrument software.
I also am on a very limited budget but I am so glad that I did the upgrade to a new computer (I have a very patient, wonderful wife). I also took advantage of the special offer for Lifetime updates. Sonar Platinum is a world better than X1 Producer and Win 10 64 bit is so much, much better than Vista. I think what helped me a lot was getting most computer things up to date with current versions. Part of my problem before was trying to get out of date software to work with current software.
So we may not have the same gear but there are general principals if you can manage to apply them, e.g. current software helps a lot. My computer is a flyer and no longer gives me problems in running out of steam. I spent so much time trying to be a Techy and get around the Tech limitations of my system when I just wanted to make music.
Hope this helps,
JCB.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit; Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz; 16GB DDR4 RAM; Asus Z170-A with Asus Thunderbolt EX 2/Dual; Win10 64 Bit; Focusrite Clarett 4Pre (Thunderbolt)
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 15:16:11 (permalink)
A well stocked toolbox is not about using ALL the tools everyday but having them available when you need them.

If budget is a factor you can build beautiful bird houses or castles in the backyard for your kids (tree house?) or a book case with a saw, hammer and maybe a drill motor.

I'm not sure anyone can tell you what your needs are even if they found going from S3 to Platinum a boon for them.

If you are making music that you and others enjoy on S3, why switch? If your computer is failing you that's another story all together.

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 17:03:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/04/28 17:24:11
Agentcalm
Hi folks.  I'm still using S3 and just have the basic Studio version... 

I assume by S3 you mean Sonar X3 - Studio?  That was a great, solid version, but Sonar is really a different animal now in terms of stability and features....

If Sonar 2017 intrigues you, best thing to do is download the demo and give it a spin.  If you find that you need more serious time with it - say to do a complete project - you can lease Sonar for a month (or two or three)...

That's really the only way to know for sure if the new Sonar is a good fit for you (and your PC)....

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 17:24:24 (permalink)
Excellent point JonD.
Agentcalm
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 19:26:20 (permalink)
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Yes indeed I meant X3 studio. The laptop is alright so no real issues there. No this is more a question about upgrading the Sonar. I think either the demo version or leasing it for a while are great suggestions. I'll have a look on the store to see what are the new versions. I might just have to mail cakewalk to ask what the differences are between my old X3 and something newer.

Southern kin y'all 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 21:14:15 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Yes indeed I meant X3 studio. The laptop is alright so no real issues there. No this is more a question about upgrading the Sonar. I think either the demo version or leasing it for a while are great suggestions. I'll have a look on the store to see what are the new versions. I might just have to mail cakewalk to ask what the differences are between my old X3 and something newer.

This is a feature comparison for all of the current Sonar versions.  You can probably compare what you have with this.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions

Some folks have found that the $49 Sonar Home Studio is good enough for basic use.  It gets them up to date, and uses the core Sonar engine.  The cool thing is that any plugins you already have should continue to work in Home Studio.

My take is that the higher up you go in versions, the bigger the plugin toolbox bundle becomes.

Starting May 1st, if you want your investment to count as a discount towards a future upgrade, you will need to start out with Sonar Home Studio, Artist, or Professional.  I do not believe there is an upgrade path for Home Studio.  [Edit: there is an upgrade path, the details are listed in a new post below]

Definitely check out the demo.
post edited by abacab - 2017/04/29 13:45:33

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Agentcalm
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/28 22:44:14 (permalink)
Fantastic tips Abacab. Thank you so much.

Southern kin y'all 
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 05:26:03 (permalink)
I have Cakewalk's Music Creator. You can get it right now for $19. Great program. Does a lot of what Sonar does in the same way Sonar does it. Just a much lighter version.

Check the feature set out:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Music-Creator/Features

Did I say you can get it for $19? $19! That's a sweet deal for what this program can do and the stuff you get with it.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
abacab
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 12:53:12 (permalink)
Grem
I have Cakewalk's Music Creator. You can get it right now for $19. Great program. Does a lot of what Sonar does in the same way Sonar does it. Just a much lighter version.

Check the feature set out:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Music-Creator/Features

Did I say you can get it for $19? $19! That's a sweet deal for what this program can do and the stuff you get with it.

I'm surprised they are still selling MC.  It appears to be a cut down version of X3.  The OP already has X3, and is looking to upgrade.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3593995

Home Studio should be more up to date with the current version of Sonar.

abacab
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 13:06:51 (permalink)
Here's an update on the Sonar upgrade path.
http://blog.cakewalk.com/cakewalk-announces-simpler-sonar-prices/#more-25515

Starting May 1, 2017, if you want to upgrade your copy of SONAR to a more advanced edition, you simply pay the difference in the current price.

If you own SONAR Home Studio, upgrade to SONAR Artist, Professional or Platinum for $49.99 off the regular price.
If you own SONAR Artist, upgrade to SONAR Professional or Platinum for $99.99 off the regular price.
If you own SONAR Professional, upgrade to SONAR Platinum for $199.99 off the regular price.

You may want to log into your Cakewalk account before May 1st, to see if you are currently eligible for an upgrade price from X3 Studio.  Any available X3 upgrade paths will expire when the new pricing plan goes into effect.

Agentcalm
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 15:16:20 (permalink)
Hey guys.  Yep went from MC which was the first thing i bought and went to X3.

Hi Ab...  I'll log in there and see if I still qualify for upgrade price.   So Artist would be next up and then Professional after that?   

Southern kin y'all 
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 15:38:37 (permalink)
I can't upgrade anymore. My subscription expired. Not sure of the monthly option still exists.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 15:49:23 (permalink)
I kept X3 for a looooong while, but finally upgraded when X3 showed itself unworthy of recording/editing the sustain pedal when I was playing piano.

My advice is to go for Artist. For someone in your position, you might not need the extensive bloat that comes with Producer. I have Artist, which I think I bought outright for $79 a few years ago. I have never upgraded it from my original purchase, and it still works great.

If you go with Artist, you then have to pony up some for the cool VST plugins, but you can pick and choose those that suit your liking. Another idea is to add Kontakt as soon as you can, there are a ton of libraries out there that are just brilliant.

I'll admit being utterly confused as to the current Cakewalk purchasing/upgrading systems. If you can still just buy a piece of software and use it, then I'd do that.

best of luck!
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 15:54:55 (permalink)
It's 40 per month or 420 straight out a saving of 60. So under current curcumstances it might just go for the monthly.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
abacab
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 15:59:30 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Hey guys.  Yep went from MC which was the first thing i bought and went to X3.

Hi Ab...  I'll log in there and see if I still qualify for upgrade price.   So Artist would be next up and then Professional after that?   

I'm not sure what came with X3 Studio, but if that was a step up from MC, then you probably want to look at Artist or above for unlimited tracks. This appears to be the only cut down core feature in HS as compared to Artist.

If you are interested in using ProChannel modules and the new patch points and aux tracks, then Professional and above would be recommended.  Professional also includes the Mixing and Engineering Suites. Plus more instruments.

I assume that Cakewalk basically morphed MC into the new Home Studio.  So even if you just went with HS you could still use the plugins that came with X3 and get an updated Sonar core software in HS.  That is maybe all that you need for songwriting, if 64 tracks is enough.  You mentioned Session Drummer3, which you already have.

You will get the same core Sonar interface, with the same recording and editing functions in any version.  Other than the few core features mentioned above, the main difference between the current versions is the included plugin bundles, which is really what you are paying extra for. 

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 16:31:45 (permalink)
Download the current demo and try it, then decide whether to upgrade and if so to which version based on what you find you need/want to be able to do. If you don't need the 'comes with everything' version then don't pay for it if you don't want to or don't need the extras over the version that meets your needs.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Agentcalm
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 18:14:26 (permalink)
Hey guys.  some great tips there.  Tom , Artist might be all I need to be sure. I dont use the pro channels and can use stock EQ, compressor etc. 
Ab did mention that Professional has mixing and engineering suites so they might be worth looking at.  
Yep i agree that a monthly payment would be less painful than forking out full whack in one go.
Kontakt was mentioned earlier.  I dont know what that is but Im heading straight to Google it now.  

Southern kin y'all 
abacab
Re: Upgrade? 2017/04/29 18:50:45 (permalink)
Agentcalm
Hey guys.  some great tips there.  Tom , Artist might be all I need to be sure. I dont use the pro channels and can use stock EQ, compressor etc. 
Ab did mention that Professional has mixing and engineering suites so they might be worth looking at.  
Yep i agree that a monthly payment would be less painful than forking out full whack in one go.
Kontakt was mentioned earlier.  I dont know what that is but Im heading straight to Google it now.  

Take another look at the feature comparison page.  The "mixing and engineering suites" is just a fancy way of marketing more EQ's and compressors, etc. 

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1