Helpful ReplyAdding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track

Author
Andy3252
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2017/04/29 00:59:16 (permalink)

Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track

Hi guys

This may be a stupid question but I have always created MIDI tracks by dragging the soft synth I want and letting it be created via the pop-up dialog, or by inserting instrument from the track menu.  However, I decided to create my own project template with 8 MIDI tracks and a couple of Audio tracks as a quick way start project.  Everything was fine until I went to add the soft synths to the existing MIDI tracks and I suddenly discovered I didn't know how to, I expected an ADD instrument menu option for each track, or if I tried to drag a soft synth onto the track I was greeted with the insert soft synth dialog and a new MIDI track would be created, the track menu  option for add instrument only has a CREATE button not an ADD or a select existing track prompt.  I have gone back to the tutorials and documentation but all I can find is the ways I have always done it, no way of adding to existing track, or have I missed something?

Apologies if it is a stupid question but an answer to a stupid guy would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Andy 

You never know until you Try
-----------  -----------
Scan 3XS Studio System i7-5930K @ 4.38GHz, 64GB RAM, Win 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, SONAR Plat., Komplete 10, Garritan IO & PO5, EZ Keys & Superior Drummer2, iZotope Iris 2, Serum, Spire, SynthMaster 2.8, Dune 2, Ableton Live 9.6 (Sometimes), Samplitude Pro X2 (Sometimes), Mackie CR4 Monitors, Impluse 49, Launchkey 25 MkII, Launchpad MkII, LPK25, M-Audio Mini32, plus no talent, but trying.
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 01:59:10 (permalink)
Assuming you have your existing MIDI track present and your soft synth loaded (but not connected)

Your existing MIDI track can even be populated with MIDI notes and controller events.

Give your MIDI track focus and then open up the inspector (Press " i ").  Look down the bottom, just above the track name is the destination of that MIDI track.  Click on the little down arrow and you should see a list of all your MIDI ports and loaded soft synths.  Choose which ever soft synth you wish this MIDI track to drive.

You could also use the console to do the above as well. Head to the console and look near the track name to see the MIDI track's destination port or soft synth.  You may have to scroll the console to reveal the track name.

Hope that helps.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 02:00:29 (permalink)
An instrument track consists of two tracks, a midi track and synth track. The easiest way to see the settings, is to insert a Instrument Track, right click and select 'Split Instrument Track'. This is what you are aiming to duplicate.

You have the Midi Track, so insert a synth track, and when the 'Insert synth soft synth Options' box appears just select just one of the three 'Synth Audio Output' options.

You now have both the synth and Midi, so you need to assign the output of the midi track to your synth.

If you want to combine the two tracks to make into an single Instrument track, right click and choose 'Make instrument track'

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 02:19:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/04/29 21:13:48
For a soft synth to work it needs a Midi track and an accompanying Audio track.
2 ways to insert a soft synth:

1) as a Simple Instrument Track
(Audio track is hidden in the background, but can be exposed by using "Split Instrument Track")

2) Insert as separate linked Audio and Midi tracks
(Midi notes playback through the audio track, but the two tracks can be simplified back into one using "Make Instrument Track")

If you already have existing midi tracks in your template, you would still have to insert the soft synth one of these 2 ways, as far as I know. If you have midi note information on those template tracks, it may be easiest to cut and paste those notes into the midi instrument track of the inserted soft synth, rather than to figure out the routing and linking between audio and midi tracks.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Andy3252
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 02:19:28 (permalink)
Thanks guys, much appreciated.  I just thought there would be a simple drag and drop a soft synth from the browser onto an existing MIDI track to make a single instrument track.  Truth be told I normally create a synth from the track menu and output to an audio track so I can keep the CPU overhead down if I would be using a fair number of synths, especially Kontakt synths.  But I will follow your guidance,

Cheers

Andy

You never know until you Try
-----------  -----------
Scan 3XS Studio System i7-5930K @ 4.38GHz, 64GB RAM, Win 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, SONAR Plat., Komplete 10, Garritan IO & PO5, EZ Keys & Superior Drummer2, iZotope Iris 2, Serum, Spire, SynthMaster 2.8, Dune 2, Ableton Live 9.6 (Sometimes), Samplitude Pro X2 (Sometimes), Mackie CR4 Monitors, Impluse 49, Launchkey 25 MkII, Launchpad MkII, LPK25, M-Audio Mini32, plus no talent, but trying.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 04:00:27 (permalink)
Wow , does everybody do things different.. 
I have always "inserted" a soft synth to my projects. It is done now via the right hand browser window using the instrument tab. I always have a separate track for the VST and Midi data. 
In the old days we used the synth rack and the + to add. It's still sort of the same. I use Home studio and it doesn't have the synth rack but the insert process is the same as Splat. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 04:07:37 (permalink)

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 21:21:30 (permalink)
Software synths in pretty much all DAWs live on audio tracks, not MIDI tracks. Some, like Sonar's instrument tracks, can create what looks like one track but is in fact two, a MIDI track ad an audio track. MIDI effects and processing live in the MIDI track fx bin and the synth in the audio track's fx bin or pro channel.

This makes sense because MIDI isn't audio, and while a synth can receive and often send MIDI it outputs audio, which requires an audio track to exist in and/or to host any audio processing you might want to do to the synth's output.

Personally I prefer not to use instrument tracks but seperate MIDI and audio ones because I find that a simpler way to work and conceptualise what's going on.

The way Sonar works with software synths kind duplicates in software how external hardware instruments are used - they get MIDI sent from a controlling MIDI track, and the synth's audio output is recorded via an audio interface into an audio track.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 21:33:24 (permalink)
Andy3252
Thanks guys, much appreciated.  I just thought there would be a simple drag and drop a soft synth from the browser onto an existing MIDI track to make a single instrument track. 

-Insert the synth like always
-then hold SHIFT and CNTRL While clicking on your old Midi track,
-then drag that midi clip/data from the old track to the new.
-delete old one

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/04/29 21:52:36 (permalink)
The comments above provide a good explanation for the way that Sonar defines tracks strictly by type.

Maybe the confusion could be from using a DAW that does the track thing a bit differently, or just because Sonar has some of this hidden away with the simple instrument track.  The instrument track concept might be more obvious to someone coming from a hardware synth background.  Sonar began life as a MIDI sequencer that added audio tracks later.

I have used a couple of other DAWs that were developed more recently that don't have strict track types.  They let you add a track, then the track becomes whatever you put into it.  Examples are Reaper and Tracktion.  Insert a new track, insert a virtual instrument onto that track, setup your MIDI input and go.  But yup, Sonar is different!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Steve Weinstock
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/07/27 14:03:21 (permalink)
First of all, thanks for asking the question.  For years I have wanted to revisit/update some of my old tunes and sketches by "putting them into softsynths." However, it was much easier to connect old gear and route the files to the hardware (the old-fashioned way I used to do in Dr. T's KCS, Cakewalk for MS-DOS, and later versions)--until I finally asked Google: "In SONAR X3, how do I send my midi files to SoftSynths" and I found this thread.

While all the background info on types of tracks, how to insert a softsynth, etc. is interesting, I just wanted something quick, without a lot of cutting-and-pasting, etc.

This is a wonderful answer: 

"Give your MIDI track focus and then open up the inspector (Press " i ").  Look down the bottom, just above the track name is the destination of that MIDI track.  Click on the little down arrow and you should see a list of all your MIDI ports and loaded soft synths.  Choose which ever soft synth you wish this MIDI track to drive."

THANK YOU!!!!

Steve

Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Adding a Soft Synth to an Existing MIDI track 2017/07/27 15:25:03 (permalink)
This, by the way, is identical to routing it to a hardware synth. It's literally the same drop-down menu. Not sure where this went wrong for you before but glad you got it sorted!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1