NEW SONG: Right Into Place (New Mix!)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
AndyZee
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 499
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place 2005/02/03 01:31:14 (permalink)
Sounds to me like the drums lag a bit in places (not just a laid-back kind of lag).

Yeah, I know what you mean there... It was the first take, so there's some things here and there that aren't exactly as they should be, I still have to do some cutting/comping to get all the hits right...

Thanks Gary.
michael japan
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5252
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place (New Mix!) 2005/02/03 02:28:54 (permalink)
Hi Andy. It's very nice-especially the overall feeling and the drums/bass. Here are some specifics:
Intro-more leslie movement-off and on-it's mainly fast right now-and a little too much emphasis on that F# note.
To me there is too much 1/8th note movement-especially in the piano part. Too many arpeggios. I can't really tell what is going on. The feeling it gives you is that you've heard the whole song before you get half way through. Since I just found out you know the proper way to make Italian food this is what would be called in professional circles in Tennessee as a meatball mix. You know how when you make carbonara, amatriciana, arabbiata, peporoncino, basilico e pomodoro you have exact ingredients and distinct tastes? Well, when you make meat sauce pasta it is all rolled into one. Just about anyone can make meat sauce pasta. Probably anyone on this forum. But a good amatriciana-you taste the bacon, the garlic, the onion, the tomato. (deep huh!) You can really tell the individual tastes. I would be more choosey with my colors. Bring them in and out-the piano is basically doing the same thing on the verse as it is on the chorus-find out what are the strong parts of the verse/chorus/bridge-don't have everybody play everywhere. I hesitate to even make these comments, especially on the forum because the song is already well liked and rightly so, but I would like to hear it clearer. I guess it depends on what the purpose for the song is. I would say your forte is composition, structure, acoustic guitar, bass and drums. I would drop the first verse down to just that and build from there. You don't need the distorted guitar all the way through or the piano or the organ. Bring them in and out.
I think you should consider fixing the obvious downunda notes. There aren't that many. It does pull on your ear a bit.

If the song wasn't good I would have kept my mouth shut.

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
AndyZee
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place (New Mix!) 2005/02/03 06:40:02 (permalink)
Thanks Michael - you are right, the piano part is my least favourite thing in the song... I just find myself unable to hold back on piano in as controlled a way... need more practise, I guess...

I do understand what you're saying re: organ/structure - I'll have another listen, and a re-sing and we'll see what I can come up with!

Thanks again, I really appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
gdugan
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1118
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place 2005/02/03 23:09:30 (permalink)
Andy,

I didn't mean to imply that it's very far off - just a bit in a couple of places. Funny thing about this kind of thing is that the only reason it's obvious in those places is that you were spot-on for most of the tune. And you got a fabulous sound from the kit.
AndyZee
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place 2005/02/03 23:57:36 (permalink)
Thanks Gary - yeah, I know what you mean!

I've just gotta find the here and there's that aren't quite right and nudge them!

Cheers,
AndyZee
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place 2005/02/06 07:51:48 (permalink)
Bump!

Resing coming this week, as well as total overhaul. I'm keeping the old backing track, but I'd like to simplify it - It's feeling more and more crowded as I go.

Plus, I know it is because it's killing my CPU just to play it!!

More to come...
danhazer
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2053
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place 2005/02/06 08:30:46 (permalink)
Plus, I know it is because it's killing my CPU just to play it!!

Ah! Hence the "help me build a new PC" thread in the coffee house.

Dan Monaghan
martinstan
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place (New Mix!) 2005/02/06 10:28:20 (permalink)
good song and sounds really well mixed to me. Strong 'aussie accent mate'! which gives an interesting feel to the song. How do you find the time to put such a polished song together? If I get an hour or so a week, I should be so lucky!!
AndyZee
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place (New Mix!) 2005/02/07 02:00:06 (permalink)
Thanks Martin, It took about 4 hours from start to finish. The instruments were done in mostly one take, which is why it needs so much polishing. The singing definitely needs a redo...

Oh, and Dan - yes it's time I bought a new unit - although there's 28 tracks or something there, so it's doing ok, and they're ALL using real time plugs. A couple of Amplitubes and a Voxformer. It's doin' OK...

kiwisdontdrinktea
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: NEW SONG: Right Into Place (New Mix!) 2005/02/09 23:57:33 (permalink)
Hi Andy, nice to hear a song from you again. I haven't had much time to come listen here for a few weeks and this was teh first one. Makes me remember why I like to come back here. Anyway I am listening on headphones and the vocal sounds fine to me.

Once again you have nailed that Accoustic guitar sound. Forgive if I asked before but just how are you getting the sound. Do you mind sharing the secret: guitar, mic, preamp, compressor, EQ etc.

Thanks much if you have the time to share, otherwise just thx for the song.

post edited by kiwisdontdrinktea - 2005/02/10 00:09:56

She done stole my song - Otis Redding

http://www.beatkiwi.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1