Migrating files from old pc to new one (Done! New pc runs like a champ!)

Author
rscain
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 784
2017/05/02 13:21:54 (permalink)

Migrating files from old pc to new one (Done! New pc runs like a champ!)

I have a new music computer arriving this week (custom build, my first one, really excited!) and I was wondering if any of you folks have any suggestions for the best way to migrate my music related files from my old pc to my new one. I've already copied all my project files and I'll be doing a clean install of SPLAT, I'm mainly talking about plug-ins, samples, etc.

My old pc was used for everything; DAW, internet, word processor, etc. This new one will be music only so I want to keep as much garbage off of it as possible.

Any of you IT folks got any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies! I got it done and the new pc is faster than I had hoped. I used to have to freeze all midi tracks and bump the buffers up to 1024 to mix, now when I'm done recording I just mix. It's great!
Thanks again, guys!
post edited by rscain - 2017/05/08 17:58:01

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 

7 Replies Related Threads

rscain
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/04 12:59:41 (permalink)
    OK, well, thanks!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

AMD FX9350 @4 gHz, 16 gb ram, 240 gb SSD, 2 1Tb SS/Hybrid HDs, 1 Tb Fantom External HD, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Studio One 4 Pro, Harrison Mixbus, Izotope Neutron 2 Advanced and Ozone 8 Advanced, ARC 2, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, TC-Helicon VoiceLive 3, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Focusrite Octopre MkII, KRK Rokit 8 monitors, Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones, MidiMan Oxygen 8, Behringer X-Touch, guitars and stuff 
    vladasyn
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/04 15:13:11 (permalink)
    If you not cloning old computer to have exactly the same configuration, I would recommend to reinstall everything one thing at a time. I just built new computer as well. I installed Antivirus, then Sonar Platinum with command center, and then started with my software synths, then effects, then hardware synths. I took out the drive with my Sonar projects from old computer, put it in to the new, and copy/pasted all Cakewalk projects and audio files- just copied the Projects folder- I had all projects in the same place.

Are you installing any software synths, Kontakt instruments or effects? Do you have SSD for C drive? I would only install Antivirus and Sonar on C drive, and everything else on D drive, use E drive for Cakewalk projects only. C drive should be SSD if possible. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
    http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
    I am a female. Windows 8.1
    Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
      Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
    rscain
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/04 16:42:34 (permalink)
    vladasyn
    If you not cloning old computer to have exactly the same configuration, I would recommend to reinstall everything one thing at a time. I just built new computer as well. I installed Antivirus, then Sonar Platinum with command center, and then started with my software synths, then effects, then hardware synths. I took out the drive with my Sonar projects from old computer, put it in to the new, and copy/pasted all Cakewalk projects and audio files- just copied the Projects folder- I had all projects in the same place.

Are you installing any software synths, Kontakt instruments or effects? Do you have SSD for C drive? I would only install Antivirus and Sonar on C drive, and everything else on D drive, use E drive for Cakewalk projects only. C drive should be SSD if possible. 

Thanks, I believe I'm gonna do the same as you. Yes, my C: drive is a SSD, the other two drives are SS/Hybrid drives. One will have project and audio files, the other will have samples.

Thanks again!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/05 11:19:40 (permalink)
    Can't you just stick the old drive internally and use as a data drive.  Then you can copy from one drive to another if you really want/need the separation.  That way you can set up a backup routine to back up your cakewalk sessions (*.CWP and all the audio) to the older drive just in case!
     or just get one of those external cases for the old drive and copy the files from old to new...Still recommend the backup though!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    rscain
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/05 11:49:42 (permalink)
    patm300e
    Can't you just stick the old drive internally and use as a data drive.  Then you can copy from one drive to another if you really want/need the separation.  That way you can set up a backup routine to back up your cakewalk sessions (*.CWP and all the audio) to the older drive just in case!
     or just get one of those external cases for the old drive and copy the files from old to new...Still recommend the backup though!

I thought of that at first but the old drives are slow (5400 rpm) and....old. So old that I started worrying about them failing. New ones are 7200 rpm SS/hybrid drives.  Also, due to the piecemeal way my old system grew there are all sorts of different files on them, some musically related some not. I want this new system to be streamlined and for music only. Clean sheet of paper!

My Tunes On SoundClick  

patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/08 12:16:26 (permalink)
    Well, you can get connectors cheap to temporarily make the old drives USB.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812228775&cm_re=IDE%2c_SATA_To_USB-_-12-228-775-_-Product

Using this will allow you to connect old drive to the new computer's USB.  The old drive shows up just like a flash drive would.  Then you can copy files as you wish.  Once you are done, just disconnect the usb cable.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Migrating files from old pc to new one 2017/05/08 19:41:14 (permalink)
    I have had good luck with these aluminum USB 2.0 external drive enclosures for SATA 3.5" drives from Rosewill,  $18.99 at Newegg.  They also have a model for older IDE drives as well.  Plug and play! 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155&cm_re=rosewill_drive_case-_-17-182-155-_-Product

They are available for USB 3.0 for an extra $2.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1