Helpful ReplySonar (Platinum) Non-standard way of presenting keyboard shortcuts

Author
CedricM
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2017/05/08 14:12:19 (permalink)

Sonar (Platinum) Non-standard way of presenting keyboard shortcuts

Sonar has a strange, and in my opinion incorrect way of showing the keyboard shortcut of a menu item.

For example:
Menu Views
Console View        Alt+2

This is the correct way.

However, if you switch your keyboard to French, Sonar instantly changes the presentation of the shortcut to:
Console View       Alt+é   (e with acute accent)
This is incorrect. Switching keyboard language in Windows should not change the label of the keyboard shortcut. What is more, you can check that Alt+é does not show the console view.

Please fix

NB: Sonar Platinum Fully patched 2017.04
Stefano Bellezza
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Sonar (Platinum) Non-standard way of presenting keyboard shortcuts 2017/05/09 16:45:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ampfixer 2017/05/09 19:35:06
Salut Cedric,
so, there are two aspects to your problem report: the functional aspect (which is what worried us most) and the cosmetic aspect.

Functionally, we have not been able to reproduce your issue. We don't have a French keyboard, but we do have virtual machines with French OS and drivers. In one such environments, if I were in a text editor and hit the "2" key without pressing Shift simultaneously, I would indeed obtain the character "é". Hitting Alt+2 (so, Alt+é) sure enough opens the Console view for us, so I would seem that the issue that you are experiencing is not generalized, and I suggest you contact tech support to get assistance.

As for the cosmetic part: these keys are assigned by the system. From a code standpoint, all languages specify that the combination Alt+2 opens the Console view. When you run a localized build, the system reads your language settings and keyboard driver, and decides what to present the user. As far as I know, there is no way to override this behavior; and, as a localization professional, I am not sure that we would like to: there are combinations that work with the Shift button pressed (for instance, Alt+Shift+2, which I could also spell "Alt+@" if referring to a US keyboard, opens the Video view instead of the Console view). So, we would be giving French user wrong information if we pointed them to a combination that may entail pressing Shift simultaneously.
On the other hand, I will have our documentation checked, as I am not sure that it accurately reports the correct key combinations as displayed on screen; so, merci bien pour l'avis :-)

A bientot

Stefano Bellezza
Localization Manager - Cakewalk
Stefano Bellezza
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Sonar (Platinum) Non-standard way of presenting keyboard shortcuts 2017/05/09 20:42:35 (permalink)
OK, "only stupids never change their mind". I have performed some more due diligence and, although I have worked with at least one product that reported the mappings as they appeared on the keyboard (with all weird accented characters and punctuation signs), the big fish in the pond are apparently doing different:
https://helpx.adobe.com/fr/photoshop/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.html
https://support.office.com/fr-fr/article/Raccourcis-clavier-pour-Microsoft-Word-sur-Windows-95ef89dd-7142-4b50-afb2-f762f663ceb2

So, clearly the French audience prefers to ignore the shift/non shift contradiction and see the combination expressed as [modifier key] [+ optional Shift] + [number], as it happens in English.

Fair enough, I am going to file a bug to see if it's technically possible to override the automatic publication of the key combination, which would show an "uncommon" character, and show a number instead. If this isn't technically possible, we'll fix the help instead.
Thank you again
Stefano

Stefano Bellezza
Localization Manager - Cakewalk
CedricM
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Sonar (Platinum) Non-standard way of presenting keyboard shortcuts 2017/05/13 09:53:21 (permalink)
Thanks a lot Stefano !
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1